What does it mean when a company rejects you for no reason?

I applied for a position at a company and it's exactly the same position that I'm at now. The same type! I've been at my current job for 7 years, and I got a reject email saying, "However, we are unable to extend an offer to you for a position with our company." I'm like wtf??? Now, they can't tell me I don't meet their qualifications, because I do. Or use the excuse they found someone better who meets the position. Because I do the same line of work. They didn't even give a reasonable excuse!

That is an template, they wont type every single letters. I am sure there are millions got annoyed that way. But they don't need to give an excuse as far as they are not hiring any one.

• Like 1
  • Author
That is an template, they wont type every single letters. I am sure there are millions got annoyed that way. But they don't need to give an excuse as far as they are not hiring any one.

Yeah, but I just don't see why I wasn't even considered for the job. Maybe they saw my name and didn't like it or something.

Also, I just filled out the online application last night and got the news today. So, I didn't even interview, if that makes any sense.

Edited by Lipitor11
Bittersweetie

My thought would be that it's a position that was filled internally. I think sometimes the company by law has to publicly post a position, even if there's already someone internally lined up for it. That would explain the quick response...it had nothing to do with you or your background.

There could be all kinds of reasons....filling internally as someone else mentioned, or they decided not to hire anyone or put the position on hold. If it's the exact same job you do now, they might be under the impression that you may not stick around long or may have high salary requirements.

They didn't not hire you for no reason. There was a reason. But most companies are not ever going to tell you the reason, nor do they have to.

It's very probable that if they interviewed you and others, someone else came along that they thought was a better fit. It also may have been a tough decision. You never know.

If they never interviewed you, it may be that they already had someone in mind for the job and didn't bother interviewing anyone else.

I once applied for a job that I wanted very badly and I was so spot-on perfect for it that I was shocked that I never even got a call about it. I later interviewed someone who actually had that job and she told me about how horrible the owner's wife was to work for. My boss also knew the person and agreed that she was extremely difficult to work for. So, I figured it was a blessing I didn't get the job. I had dodged a bullet. It may be the same for you. Maybe it's as simple as the universe doing you a favor, or "it just wasn't meant to be".

• Like 2