How should I go about my job search?

So I'm in school for radiology right now and I've applied to several position opened at my local hospital. I would take any job mainly because I just want to get my foot in the door.

I knew my friend's mother held a very high position at the hospital so I asked him to ask her if she'd be able to help.

I was informed to email her my resume and she'd talk to the radiology director. So I emailed her Tuesday, but I haven't received a response.

When would it be appropriate to check with her to see if she's been able to work her magic?

Also when I do, would I just shoot her another email? Or should I call the hospital asking for her?

Basically I want to be serious and show that I'm really wanting the spot, but I don't want to come off overbearing.

Well like you said, you do not want to come off as overbearing. If I understand you correctly, your mom's friend no longer works there so he/she cannot even press her contact to do anything. The last thing you want to do is put the friend in a position of having to strain a relationship for a third party (you).

I think your best bet would be to see if you can find the name of the person whom your mom's friend is contacting.

Then send a letter of introduction (not a email!) to this person and without mentioning names, express why you are so interested in getting a job there. Maybe mention that you did send a resume' (include it again), but you are a really motivated person and that you especially want to work there (give a plausible reason).

Maybe even ask this person if they cannot hire you, if they might be willing to give you some career advice. Try and find a reason to interest them in contacting you.

Finally, you have chosen a good field. Consider moving to where the jobs are. You can always get some experience, make some money and move back.

Good Luck!

• Like 1

You sent her your resume on a Tuesday in AUGUST. The new class of doctors only started in July. Many doctors are on vacation. The hospital is in transition. Do not bug this woman. If you can't control yourself and must reach out, send her a snail mail typewritten letter thanking her for agreeing to pass along your resume. If she hasn't done it yet, that should compel her to action.

• Like 2
  • Author
Well like you said, you do not want to come off as overbearing. If I understand you correctly, your mom's friend no longer works there so he/she cannot even press her contact to do anything.

No no, she still works their. Sorry if I wasn't clear.

Just recently a friends fiancé got in contact with her and was given a nurse tech job on the spot. So this lady holds some power.

You sent her your resume on a Tuesday in AUGUST. The new class of doctors only started in July. Many doctors are on vacation. The hospital is in transition. Do not bug this woman.

^ ^ ^ THIS ^ ^ ^

I will had that you shouldn't rely on this one contact for assistance in getting a job. OP, you have a very specialized career and there will be finite places for you to get employment. I would suggest you research each potential, write a personalized cover letter, and HAND DELIVER the resume and cover letter.

In the process, when you arrive, ask if there are openings but explain you are being proactive. Ask who to speak to and keep a record for follow-up.

As an example, my husband (a surgeon) posted a job opening for a part-time doctor in his medical office. He had faxed a description of the job to a local medical center as a blind ad. The following morning, a doctor walked in first thing and asked to speak to my husband. Even though it was a blind ad, he researched the FAX NUMBER to figure out where the job was located and took the initiative to come and introduce himself in person. He did this before the patients started arriving to as to not interrupt service.

My husband decided to post the job on Monday. This guy walked into the office on Tuesday and because of his perseverance (and qualifications), was hired immediately.

Initiative, initiative, initiative...

• Like 2
  • Author
You sent her your resume on a Tuesday in AUGUST. The new class of doctors only started in July. Many doctors are on vacation. The hospital is in transition. Do not bug this woman. If you can't control yourself and must reach out, send her a snail mail typewritten letter thanking her for agreeing to pass along your resume. If she hasn't done it yet, that should compel her to action.

Sorry if I wasn't clear d0nnivain. The position I've applied to were nowhere high ranking like doctors. Things like office assistance, patient care, etc. Bottom level stuff really. Just a small position that would hopefully get my foot in the door to meet the right people.

I still have a while to go for my radiology degree, but hopefully I know the right people by the time I'm done.

I understand that you are not applying to be a doctor That was clear. I know the difference between being a radiologist & being the tech that assists. Thank you for pointing that out.

You missed what I was trying to tell you however. Since in August the big dogs -- the DOCTORS -- are in transition, whatever it is that you need or want as a support person come in second. You have to wait so breath.

• Like 1
  • Author
Initiative, initiative, initiative...

So you think I just represent myself rather than have someone else do the work for me?

Trust me I would be more than happy to dress for the job, walk in, and present my resume.

I just get kinda nervous about who to speak to. It's a big place and I would know where to start in terms of who to speak to. :/

Why don't you offer to take your friend's mother out to lunch & ask her? She may even know people at nearby facilities.

• Like 1
  • Author
I understand that you are not applying to be a doctor That was clear. I know the difference between being a radiologist & being the tech that assists. Thank you for pointing that out.

Oh, I hope you know I wasn't trying to sound snarky. Just trying to clarify.

But I understand what you're saying. You're right, I should wait. Sometime I get so focused that I want things now now now. Just a habit I'm trying to break.

• Author
Why don't you offer to take your friend's mother out to lunch & ask her? She may even know people at nearby facilities.

THIS is an awesome idea.

Yes to what d0nnivain is saying.

Do not wait for others to help you, but DO work those few inside leads that may exist. But also make others - that is what I was saying about research potentials and walking around and introducing yourself.

There is a better chance of landing a job if there is already a face and a personal contact than a just sending a blind ad. That is why I emphasized initiative. If you go out there and introduce yourself, you will already have a step in the door that someone else sending a blind ad does not have.

Make sense?

• Like 1
Oh, I hope you know I wasn't trying to sound snarky. Just trying to clarify.

Same here. Clarity loses something in the translation on message boards sometimes.

Happy job Hunting.

You will be fine. Just breathe!

• Like 1