What do "minimum requirements" for a job really mean?

I applied for a position and got a reject email saying they decided to go with other candidates that most closely meets the job description. It's for a clerk position, and the minimum requirements are: MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS:

High School education or GED

Years of Experience:

1-2 years of data entry

Computer or Other Skills:

Microsoft Office Suite

Knowledge and Abilities:

Extremely detailed oriented, excellent written and oral communication skills.

Ok, I have 10 years experience in data entry and MS office. And I have some college. And my current job is detail oriented. So what exactly are they looking for? Someone with a Masters Degree from Harvard? Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't I meet their minimum requirements? Do they not like me or something?

You're over-qualified. They are looking for someone with 1-2 years experience so they can pay them less.

• Like 1

OP, you exceeded the minimum qualifications so were considered and rejected. Nothing more than that. Next time, match your stated quals more closely to the minimums and see what happens, presuming you exceed them, as an experiment. You're qualified, that's all they need to know. Then see if the numbers crunch out.

You're over-qualified. They are looking for someone with 1-2 years experience so they can pay them less.

This. That and they're probably under the impression you won't stick around too long.