Is the IT field dominated by men?

You might find this article to be of interest.

Personally, I've never interacted with a female IT professional, but that likely is more relevant to my industry, just as I've never interacted with female machinist or hydraulic tech or welder. I'm sure female IT's are out there. That said, when I was an EE major (later, as computer sciences became more prevalent, that branched off from electrical engineering), there were few women in the classes, other than chemistry. However, that was 35-40 years ago, so a lot has changed since then.

Grumpybutfun

I have met a few, not many, but hey, you can be a pioneer. There are no reasons why you cannot be successful in IT.

Good luck,

Grumps

My niece is a computer engineer and she did better than most of the guys in her class. Don't worry if not too many women go into IT.

Do what you enjoy doing and what interests you.

• Like 3

I am in the field. More men then women? Yes. Do I see it as an issue? No. It is not because women are discriminated against, but simply not as many women have gone that direction for a career.

• Like 1
I am in the field. More men then women? Yes. Do I see it as an issue? No. It is not because women are discriminated against, but simply not as many women have gone that direction for a career.

I'm in the IT field. Yes there are more men, but who cares.

I also work in IT and have the opposite experience. I work for a woman-owned company though, so perhaps that has something to do with it.

I'm an Information Systems major in college working on my last semester.

In an upper division IS class of 30 people, know how many women are in it? The average number is 1.

learning_slowly

Some companies I worked for in I.T. were men only. I think a lot of it is most of them could not actually talk to a girl they thought was attractive.

It's embarrassing for me, as so many I.T. guys display stereotypical traits, that I'm sure whenever I mention my job, people think I'm like that too.

I have to have conversations about my interests outside work to make them realise I'm normal.

On the plus side, if you have the skills, big corps love to bump up their female quota.

• Like 2
Some companies I worked for in I.T. were men only. I think a lot of it is most of them could not actually talk to a girl they thought was attractive.

It's embarrassing for me, as so many I.T. guys display stereotypical traits, that I'm sure whenever I mention my job, people think I'm like that too.

I have to have conversations about my interests outside work to make them realise I'm normal.

On the plus side, if you have the skills, big corps love to bump up their female quota.

this is hilarious. our IT department is filled with these "nerd-types" and the minute you smile at them or say hi they go run off and can't even say hi back. most of the women are pretty creeped out by them because they stare but don't actually talk. they are kinda creepy that way. anyway, our company has a huge IT department, mostly men, very few women, and the few women we do have are young(ish) asian women. have yet to see white/black/latina women in IT ever

"IT" is a very general term - but yes, especially in Western countries, it's male dominated. Ironically in some Asian countries the gender balance is actually slightly more even (though not completely 50/50).

But really, to what extent does it matter? Just because there are more men doesn't mean a woman can't do it, simply that fewer women are inclined to go into the field. Why do you ask?

"IT" is a very general term - but yes, especially in Western countries, it's male dominated. Ironically in some Asian countries the gender balance is actually slightly more even (though not completely 50/50).

But really, to what extent does it matter? Just because there are more men doesn't mean a woman can't do it, simply that fewer women are inclined to go into the field. Why do you ask?

Agree with that. From other people's posts here is sounds like they think "IT" means their IT department at work - i.e. the people they contact when they need a password change, have a problem with their computer network, and so on. I work for an IT company and while we do have that kind of IT department, that is not actually what we "do". IT is much broader than that.

I will say that our IT department at work - the people who reset our passwords - are all men.

• Like 1
  • Author

I guess by "IT" I meant, Computer Science/System Engineer/Computer Networking those type of jobs. I was wondering if women work those type of jobs at all.

I guess by "IT" I meant, Computer Science/System Engineer/Computer Networking those type of jobs. I was wondering if women work those type of jobs at all.

Of course some women do. Haven't you been following tech news at all? The % is pretty small but obviously they exist.

I did grad school in one of those fields and about 20% of the department was female. A few of my Profs were as well.