Is the line "We are interviewing more people" a nice way of telling me to move on?

I had what I thought was two great interviews last week with one company. Everyone seemed so excited about me working there and seemed so impressed with my interview. However I called today to follow up and was told "we are still interviewing more people" "we will decide hopefully this week".

Should I just take this to mean that they they thought I sucked and just move on or is that line actually ever true?

• Like 1

A lot of people seem to think this line means they are not interested, but in this economy, it is rare that they'll hire you on the spot if they like you. However, it means what it means. I just got hired at my second position after I had a first and second interview. After the first interview, they said they were interviewing more people and if interested, they will call selected candidates back for a second interview. This is what happened with me and during the second interview process, it came down to me and one other girl. They made the decision within 24 hours after my second interview and decided to offer me the job. It's an employer's market and most employers want to interview several candidates before making a decision. Don't take it personally. It means just what they said...they are interviewing more people and will let you know.

• Like 3

Yeah, I do think that line is a rejection. I've been on 3 interviews and I've had that said to me, "we're still interviewing other people." I didn't get any offers. Because if they thought I was the right person for the job, they wouldn't tell me that line and why in the world would they want to interview more people if I was the right person for the job? Doesn't make any sense...from my experiences, I don't believe them.

Yeah, I do think that line is a rejection. I've been on 3 interviews and I've had that said to me, "we're still interviewing other people." I didn't get any offers. Because if they thought I was the right person for the job, they wouldn't tell me that line and why in the world would they want to interview more people if I was the right person for the job? Doesn't make any sense...from my experiences, I don't believe them.

This is so wrong. I have NEVER offered a job to someone on the spot even if I thought they were the one. I have always waited to interview all candidates just in case someone better did turn up.

Sometimes someone better does walk through the door. Sometimes they don't.

• Like 2

No it just means they scheduled other interviews, likely before they met you. It is possible they really liked you, but that doesn't mean another candidate that hasn't interviewed yet hasn't intrigued them with their resume. If you haven't been told they've chosen someone else for the job then consider yourself still in the running. I think more employers are trying to be more transparent about their process instead of just leaving you hanging for weeks. Just continue your search until given a reason to stop.

• Like 2
  • Author

It was just hard for me to get a feel from the way he said it. It almost sounded as if he was sorry about the fact that he had to tell me they were interviewing more people. He also said he appreciated how patient I was being and hoped he would know by the end of the week. I just think I am trying to read into what he said and I should just be patient... somehow.

Be sure to...

... is phrased a bit strongly. I have sent thank you's and not sent them and it didn't make a noticeable lick of difference. If they want you, they'll hire you. I have never gotten hired at a place where I sent a thank you, and all jobs I have had did not involve one. Only send a thank you if it's genuine and you really mean it, and even then it's a toss-up.

Hope Shimmers
... is phrased a bit strongly. I have sent thank you's and not sent them and it didn't make a noticeable lick of difference. If they want you, they'll hire you. I have never gotten hired at a place where I sent a thank you, and all jobs I have had did not involve one. Only send a thank you if it's genuine and you really mean it, and even then it's a toss-up.

Your N of 1 experience doesn't mean anything definitive. I'm not sure when it wouldn't be genuine to send a thank you to people who took the time to consider you for a job with them. I have hired many people in my life and always appreciated people who took the time and initiative to say thank you for your time. If it was a toss-up between two or more people, that would push it over the edge. Initiative and enthusiasm for the job are two huge qualities that employers are looking for (in addition to just basic courtesy).

• Like 1
  • Author

I did sent a thank you note out after the final round interview.

I know it won't make a huge difference, but if it comes down to me or one other person I am hoping the fact that I did send a note will help me.

• Like 1

I know it won't make a huge difference, but if it comes down to me or one other person I am hoping the fact that I did send a note will help me.

I had a great first interview recently and then sent a thank you note right away. I then got called a couple of days after for a second one. It seemed to go good as well. They even said that I was a "strong candidate" for the position and would call me back within a week. Had to make a decision right away because teachers started back this past Monday. Well, this was way over two weeks ago and I still have not heard anything at all. Does not matter now because my plans are taking me a different route. Just sort of rude to not even get back to someone one way or the other after a second interview. So, each situation is specific I think. Hope that you get this wanted position!

• Like 1
Hope Shimmers

Sounds great. Always go the extra mile - you never know when it will matter, and at some point it WILL matter.

• Like 1

I had a boss who said that every time he sat in on a second interview. I've said it a few times but not often. It was almost never a hint to move on. At my company, we're always careful about not giving the impression that they have the job because my boss and I have to discuss that person with one another after the interview, etc. Companies also have to be very careful about what they say on interviews. It's most likely the company is covering their behinds.

Edited by bathtub-row
  • Like 1

I had what I thought was two great interviews last week with one company. Everyone seemed so excited about me working there and seemed so impressed with my interview. However I called today to follow up and was told "we are still interviewing more people" "we will decide hopefully this week".

Should I just take this to mean that they they thought I sucked and just move on or is that line actually ever true?

Another thing -- I can't stand follow-up calls. It puts people on the spot and that in itself is a turn-off. Whether they're considering you for hire or not, they're not going to say so until they're ready to tell you. I know a lot of people encourage follow-up calls but I find them annoying and bordering on ill-mannered. Thank you cards don't have any impact on me one way or the other.

The truth is, if I'm interested in someone, they'll know about it pretty quickly. I know not everyone operates this way, I'm just letting you know how I think, as a manger.

• Like 1
  • Author
Another thing -- I can't stand follow-up calls. It puts people on the spot and that in itself is a turn-off. Whether they're considering you for hire or not, they're not going to say so until they're ready to tell you. I know a lot of people encourage follow-up calls but I find them annoying and bordering on ill-mannered. Thank you cards don't have any impact on me one way or the other.

The truth is, if I'm interested in someone, they'll know about it pretty quickly. I know not everyone operates this way, I'm just letting you know how I think, as a manger.

I usually don't make follow up calls anymore, but my second interview was a working interview and when I was leaving the "head" guy was in the middle of something important. I didn't get the chance to chat with him or get any kind of time frame reference before I left.

Since I missed out on hearing from him what type of time frame I was looking at (or really anything at all since he was occupied and was going to be for awhile) I just wanted to check in and see where they were at so I could stop going crazy.

This is true. If I do call an employer, it's to check the status of the position to see if it has been filled or not. I've had retail jobs offer me a job on the spot, but only one or two professional jobs that have hired me on the spot. One of my current jobs thought I was more than qualified for the position, so basically said they were going to hire me and I got a confirmation call later that day. I also had a place say they were going to hire me on the spot and then they did a 180 and decided not to hire me. So you never know.

Your N of 1 experience doesn't mean anything definitive. I'm not sure when it wouldn't be genuine to send a thank you to people who took the time to consider you for a job with them. I have hired many people in my life and always appreciated people who took the time and initiative to say thank you for your time. If it was a toss-up between two or more people, that would push it over the edge. Initiative and enthusiasm for the job are two huge qualities that employers are looking for (in addition to just basic courtesy).

With all due respect, until you provide empirical evidence, your world of 1 is no more definitive than mine. It's genuine when you actually liked the people or what the company represented to you. A thank you note is nothing more than a scratch to the ego of companies and hiring managers that want nothing more than to feel important. As if being able to choose from hundreds of candidates for grossly undercompensated work isn't enough, now we suggest that the prospective employee go out of their way to stroke egos.

The person arriving for the interview has modified their life far more to be there than anyone else in the room. They had to arrange their day to fit the interview schedule for free. When employers can have enough respect for me to send me a thank you note for taking time out of my important day to come see them, then maybe the other can be an expectation. However, these companies don't even have the respect for employees to follow-up when they chose not to hire you, even when they said they would... because they always say they will. That letter in the mail six months after I interviewed? Yeah, useless. That accomplishes only your own internal procedural policy, it's useless to me.

Respect is mutual. When a company or hiring manager earns that, they'll be more likely to get a thank you note. But don't sit here with the brainwashing attitude that ass-kissing is the key to getting a job. People have skills and abilities that benefit an employer. This is not employer charity. They hire who will most benefit them, and nothing more.

Call someone once in a while to tell them, in person, that you "went in a different direction". You would be amazed at the amount of respect you would be given if you did that.

• Like 1
With all due respect, until you provide empirical evidence, your world of 1 is no more definitive than mine. It's genuine when you actually liked the people or what the company represented to you. A thank you note is nothing more than a scratch to the ego of companies and hiring managers that want nothing more than to feel important. As if being able to choose from hundreds of candidates for grossly undercompensated work isn't enough, now we suggest that the prospective employee go out of their way to stroke egos.

The person arriving for the interview has modified their life far more to be there than anyone else in the room. They had to arrange their day to fit the interview schedule for free. When employers can have enough respect for me to send me a thank you note for taking time out of my important day to come see them, then maybe the other can be an expectation. However, these companies don't even have the respect for employees to follow-up when they chose not to hire you, even when they said they would... because they always say they will. That letter in the mail six months after I interviewed? Yeah, useless. That accomplishes only your own internal procedural policy, it's useless to me.

Respect is mutual. When a company or hiring manager earns that, they'll be more likely to get a thank you note. But don't sit here with the brainwashing attitude that ass-kissing is the key to getting a job. People have skills and abilities that benefit an employer. This is not employer charity. They hire who will most benefit them, and nothing more.

Call someone once in a while to tell them, in person, that you "went in a different direction". You would be amazed at the amount of respect you would be given if you did that.

I agree with this 100%. This is why I don't think the employer is owed anything by you unless they have been good to you. I've had a few employers make me feel disposable by getting rid of me for no reason and I had no clue what I did wrong. I even had a company want to hire me through a temp agency. Thing is they initially went with another candidate and then, just over a month later when the other person didn't work out, they wanted to offer me the job, though I had already started another job a few days before. I ended up declining, but they we re super pushy and only cared about their commission rather than respect the fact that I moved on to accept another position because their client initially declined me. Not my fault they waited so long.

Edited by pink_sugar
Eternal Sunshine

I agree with this. I am now involved in a hiring process and I find it annoying when people do follow up calls and even thank you emails, especially those where they list how good they are for the job. Neither has ever swayed me and I think they are a waste of time.

As for hiring on the spot we NEVER do this. There is a process of interviewing all candidates, even if we have a great one, we are not going to cancel other interviews that are already scheduled. Then there is also a reference check before making an offer. It can take up to a week.

• Author
I find it annoying when people do follow up calls and even thank you emails, especially those where they list how good they are for the job. Neither has ever swayed me and I think they are a waste of time.

I get how it can be annoying when you have 20 different people calling to follow up. I think sometimes this happens though because an employer says we will call you either way by X day and they never do. That leaves the prospective employee confused and they aren't sure if they are still in the running or if they should move on. I just wish when an employer says we will call you either way they actually mean it.

• Like 1
I get how it can be annoying when you have 20 different people calling to follow up. I think sometimes this happens though because an employer says we will call you either way by X day and they never do. That leaves the prospective employee confused and they aren't sure if they are still in the running or if they should move on. I just wish when an employer says we will call you either way they actually mean it.

This. I'd much rather have someone tell me that they will call if interested. Not just say that they will call and you don't ever hear anything.