Is it normal for a Dentist to give you their cellphone number?

I'm 24, He's 34.

Is it normal for a Dentist to give out their personal cell phone number?

I just had a basic tooth removal and I was given his cell phone number and told to call him if i need anything. He also said "I want to see you in here again". Is this just being super nice professionally? I'm awful at picking up hints. :eek:

I would never really second guess it but

#1 He's a Dentist

#2 He's quite attractive(in a unconventional way)

#3 I don't have perfect teeth and I'm assuming Dentist's don't go for women with unperfect teeth

#4 I don't have a "perfect body" I am a little curvy

Guys like that don't go for girls like me

Edited by WhyIOughta

I have found that more medical professionals are giving out a cell phone number because its a quicker way to get in touch with them if there is an emergency. It may be a business cell and not one they use for personal calls.

Here's how you can find out for sure. He has a receptionist right? So call the front desk and mention to the receptionist that you want to clarify if its ok to use the cell number in case of emergency. You can mention you're unaccustomed to being given that info, but if he does that with all his patients then you'll keep the info on hand.

If he does that for every patient the receptionist will say so, if not then they may say that info is only given out with difficult cases (which it doesn't seem you are) or make up an excuse that sounds like he or she is trying to hide their surprise. If its the latter then find a new dentist if that would make you more comfortable. If its the former then keep it for emergencies only.

whichwayisup
I'm 24, He's 34.

Is it normal for a Dentist to give out their personal cell phone number?

I just had a basic tooth removal and I was given his cell phone number and told to call him if i need anything. He also said "I want to see you in here again". Is this just being super nice professionally? I'm awful at picking up hints. :eek:

I would never really second guess it but

#1 He's a Dentist

#2 He's quite attractive(in a unconventional way)

#3 I don't have perfect teeth and I'm assuming Dentist's don't go for women with unperfect teeth

#4 I don't have a "perfect body" I am a little curvy

Guys like that don't go for girls like me

He is professional and doing his job. When I had my teeth done (surgery) I was given my dentist's cell number and he told me to call if I had any questions or concerns.

DO NOT read into him giving you his cell number. He isn't hitting on you, so whatever you do, don't call him to 'chat'.

• Like 2

Yeah, I would think its a bit odd too...but I don't know how dentists do it now a days. I wouldn't mind if my doctor gave me his cellphone number, though.

He is professional and doing his job. When I had my teeth done (surgery) I was given my dentist's cell number and he told me to call if I had any questions or concerns.

DO NOT read into him giving you his cell number. He isn't hitting on you, so whatever you do, don't call him to 'chat'.

Hi I work for a dentist and he will often give people his cell number if their treatment was just before a weekend and he thinks there may be a problem.

The above quote is good advice.:D

• Like 1

I have my Dentists cell number.. I'm a guy :laugh:

I think you are fine.. he gave it to you because of the surgery, he wanted to make sure your recovery is uneventful and speedy.

• Like 1
Hi I work for a dentist and he will often give people his cell number if their treatment was just before a weekend and he thinks there may be a problem.

The above quote is good advice.:D

My husband is an eye surgeon and he gives his cell to patients who might be having issues.

If the OP is seriously crushing on her dentist, the best thing she can do is be up front with him and state something like, "Dr. XXXX, I would like to ask for a referral to another dentist and see if you are free for dinner."

Doctors/Dentists can NOT date patients without the risk of losing their license. OP, you would have to be seeing another dentist before the dreamy one is available as a potential date.

• Like 1

My friend got with a teacher when she was 17! He was late 20's. She was naïve and he took advantage of her. He lost his job and lively hood and has since had to go back to get another degree just to earn a living.

You are totally disrespecting your dentists ten year education and years of hard work he had to endure in order to get where he is. All it takes is for one person to come forward and accuse your dentist of having inappropriate interactions with his patient/client. It is beyond me how people can care more about their silly flirtation than they do about a persons lively hood and academic achievements!

Heck, my college psychology had the hots for me (I can always tell). But I do not think for a second he would have actually agreed to hook up with me, nor would I even entertain the idea of actually asking him to! At the most, a medical professional or other professional may feel chemistry with you and find you to be attractive but that is where it ends! They would NOT take it further unless they were reckless!

Most people are not stupid enough to risk their livelihood and years of professional achievements on a PATIENT, when frankly they normally have their pick of women OUTSIDE their professional practice!