For the past 6 years I have been job jumping...well 1099 so in my field which I sadly cant mention, everyone job jumps.

Theres not enough full time hours to stay with just one company...so you work for multiple ones. Im GOOD at it. But its been going on so long, its not steady and I suffer financially for it always chasing the next 'gig' and many times Ive lost a gig completely and have no income due to the budget being cut for 1099 support so Im scrambling for another...

6 years ago I left a great job, my dream job because of a sudden extreme life threatening illness in my family. The job I was in, It was almost 24/7 and I worked HARD and loved it and was top of my company but over night had to leave my job because family comes first especially when the person was nearly lost, pronounced dead but revived and slowly recuperated.

In the interum I stayed working in the industry as 1099 trying to stay close to home, work as much as I could and not see even able to come close to my salary but trying so hard to make it eork all the while waiting for a time when the health issues were over in my home and I could get my career back.

A few years later, I began applying. Not liking to look desperate I didnt network too much but slowly started to reach out to friends and colleagues, stay in touch with LinkedIn, FB, get the word out that I was looking.

Now its so long since I was in an executive role and nothing has opened up. Even applied to other cities but no one seems to take me seriously for relocation as I dont even get the interview.

I tried to reinvent myself by taking two jobs in a whole other field. My heart wasnt in it though I gave it my all...the only time in my life I ever succeeded truly professionally was when I was a leader. My heart is broken, feel passed over, trapped, and my resume looks like a monopoly board. I was SO great in my role, I lived it...but I fear other employers look at my leaving and then my job history since as unexplainable.

I look HORRIBLE on paper now.

I spoke to recruiters, looked under every ROCK dropped my pride and asked for help. I get a "will keep my ear to the ground and keep you postedv

Is this hopeless? HELP

It is not uncommon for 1099 employees to have many assignments. Rather than listing employers, you can list your business "herself enterprises" and then list the jobs under "contract assignments" or something of that nature. It is not uncommon for contract jobs to be short durations. You can simply explain that your contract or assignment ended and thus you moved on to the next assignment. You can then explain that you are looking for long term stability and full time employment rather than continue as an independent contractor.

• Author

Independent contractors dont get hired in my field. Theres no contracts either. You work and sometimes you work for years just off and on if the budget drops yiu dont work for awhile then your back. Good money but just not stable or regular.

I want to be the one hiring the freelance.

I dont want to freelance anymore. Im talented and qualified and experienced to be a fulltime salaried executive.

For the past 6 years I have been job jumping...well 1099 so in my field which I sadly cant mention, everyone job jumps.

Theres not enough full time hours to stay with just one company...so you work for multiple ones. Im GOOD at it. But its been going on so long, its not steady and I suffer financially for it always chasing the next 'gig' and many times Ive lost a gig completely and have no income due to the budget being cut for 1099 support so Im scrambling for another...

6 years ago I left a great job, my dream job because of a sudden extreme life threatening illness in my family. The job I was in, It was almost 24/7 and I worked HARD and loved it and was top of my company but over night had to leave my job because family comes first especially when the person was nearly lost, pronounced dead but revived and slowly recuperated.

In the interum I stayed working in the industry as 1099 trying to stay close to home, work as much as I could and not see even able to come close to my salary but trying so hard to make it eork all the while waiting for a time when the health issues were over in my home and I could get my career back.

A few years later, I began applying. Not liking to look desperate I didnt network too much but slowly started to reach out to friends and colleagues, stay in touch with LinkedIn, FB, get the word out that I was looking.

Now its so long since I was in an executive role and nothing has opened up. Even applied to other cities but no one seems to take me seriously for relocation as I dont even get the interview.

I tried to reinvent myself by taking two jobs in a whole other field. My heart wasnt in it though I gave it my all...the only time in my life I ever succeeded truly professionally was when I was a leader. My heart is broken, feel passed over, trapped, and my resume looks like a monopoly board. I was SO great in my role, I lived it...but I fear other employers look at my leaving and then my job history since as unexplainable.

I look HORRIBLE on paper now.

I spoke to recruiters, looked under every ROCK dropped my pride and asked for help. I get a "will keep my ear to the ground and keep you postedv

Is this hopeless? HELP

At least you're being honest with yourself and you understand the obstacle you face in getting hired.

I think the way around this is to develop a network of people you can communicate with and get to know over time. If you get to know the right people in person, you can maybe squeeze your way back into your old field. You might have to start from the bottom or the mid-point and work your way back up, but that's the best approach, I think.

• Author

Thank you, that was my intention when moving to freelance. I was ok in a lower role working at the bottom out of sheer necessity.

I think now it has gone on so long it appears it is all I am qualified for.

Like somehow theres a stigma to it.

And reaching out to friends and colleagues I fear has come across as desperate when it was anything but, I just wanted to get the word out I was ready to go back and to get leads.

I paid it forward and helped many people get in and get up when I was in a position to.

So I hoped for the same and it hasn't worked that way.

Also I think I could sell myself in a face to face interview but the few I've scored are phone interview and I dont believe they can see a whole package or take me seriously to relocate. I'm terrified my executive experience is soon to be outdated.

But I remember the job like it was yesterday. I am ready. But I NEED a shot. I honestly am exhausted searching. It's been years. Losing hope when I am the most hopeful positive person I know.

University "Executive Refresher Course Series" or credential?

A Developmental Program (2-3 courses) that lead to a Certification in a Current Speciality. These are often fast pace, weekend or night courses designed for working professions.

Get these new things at the top of your resume to freshen up your experience. Once your in the loop - keep it going unto you have a bunch of new knowledge and study. On-line study is possible too. Get a mentor at the institution. They love to help an eager student. Doesn't hurt to go inquire at your local university or college.

Plus, this indepentent decision of an updated educational pursuit in your field demonstrates your commitment to preparing yourself to becoming current in the line of work you are now seeking. Also, you are bound to make new contacts where you study. Yas

Edited by Yasuandio
Thank you, that was my intention when moving to freelance. I was ok in a lower role working at the bottom out of sheer necessity.

I think now it has gone on so long it appears it is all I am qualified for.

Like somehow theres a stigma to it.

And reaching out to friends and colleagues I fear has come across as desperate when it was anything but, I just wanted to get the word out I was ready to go back and to get leads.

I paid it forward and helped many people get in and get up when I was in a position to.

So I hoped for the same and it hasn't worked that way.

Also I think I could sell myself in a face to face interview but the few I've scored are phone interview and I dont believe they can see a whole package or take me seriously to relocate. I'm terrified my executive experience is soon to be outdated.

But I remember the job like it was yesterday. I am ready. But I NEED a shot. I honestly am exhausted searching. It's been years. Losing hope when I am the most hopeful positive person I know.

You might be surprised.

I just took a management position after going about 13 years of being an instructor and freelancer. In both of the management positions I've held, it was a case of being in the right place at the right time. I've never actually sought leadership positions; they usually just end up getting tossed in my lap because things were falling apart around me and they needed me. But I earned a reputation as a fixer in my last spot and I'm trying to do the same now.

I think you just need to establish consistency first. You need to get into a role where you start off supporting leadership and then quietly proving day-in, day-out that you warrant more consideration.

• Like 2