Second position and benefits

So I am starting a new position that is mostly telecommute after training and it's part time with possibility to grow into full time. What's strange is when I asked if benefits were offered to full time employees, the HR person said that benefits are only offered to the employee and that there is no family coverage. Is this unusual? I've have several jobs and I've never encountered this type of thing before. It's not a huge deal as my husband is likely to keep his benefits if he remains full time, but I thought this was bizarre.

Also, my first job pays about $2 more per hour than the other job. I'm thinking if/when full time is offered, I should ask for a pay increase if I am to leave my other job. Though it is telecommute, the pay is on the low end ($13) and ultimately, I'd have to look for other work within a year or so if I'm not given a raise.

Edited by pink_sugar

Most jobs I've worked offered to cover some or all of the cost of benefits to the employee only. If a spouse and/or dependents were allowed to get on the benefits the employee had to pay 100% of the cost. I have encountered a few employers that only offered benefits to the employees, meaning spouse/dependents were on their own, but I only need to cover myself so I didn't mind. My guess is each employer decides what they want to offer and what they want to pay for.

I'm not sure I understand the need to ask for more money from the new job if its telecommute. Wouldn't you save so much on gas and car maintenance (or public transit) that the difference in wage wouldn't be significant? Do they tie raises to performance evals or offer cost of living adjustments? Perhaps there is some room for negotiation there. I can't imagine asking for more money just because you quit another job would go over well.

I would take a $2/hour wage loss to have the option of telecommuting (in fact, I indirectly did) - it would be worth the time, hassle, and transport costs IMO. But that's just me.

I don't see how it would hurt to ask for a raise though, when the time comes and they offer you full time. If they say no, then you can decide what your next move will be.

I would take a $2/hour wage loss to have the option of telecommuting (in fact, I indirectly did) - it would be worth the time, hassle, and transport costs IMO. But that's just me.

I don't see how it would hurt to ask for a raise though, when the time comes and they offer you full time. If they say no, then you can decide what your next move will be.

I agree with this. Have you calculated the daily cost of your commute? I mostly bike to work these days, but if I drive it costs about $3 in fuel, plus wear and tear and parking. If I take the bus, it's $5. I've had commutes that cost me $8-$10 per day in fuel, plus a $5/day toll. And then add another hour to an hour and a half commute time to that.

• Like 1
I agree with this. Have you calculated the daily cost of your commute? I mostly bike to work these days, but if I drive it costs about $3 in fuel, plus wear and tear and parking. If I take the bus, it's $5. I've had commutes that cost me $8-$10 per day in fuel, plus a $5/day toll. And then add another hour to an hour and a half commute time to that.

Agree with both of them, I also think that your $2/hour is too low, even if you work as freelancer. I think it is reasonable if you ask for maybe $15 a day when you telecommute

• Like 2
I also think that your $2/hour is too low, even if you work as freelancer. I think it is reasonable if you ask for maybe $15 a day when you telecommute

Umm, I think she meant that she gets paid $2/hour less than her other job, and that she gets $13/hour in total. At least, I would HOPE so!

• Author

It's not so much about the second job it is as it is that I would be grossly underpaid after a year or so at this job. I have 3 years experience in my field and had a job last year that paid $12 an hour for 2 years with not one raise. I need to be making at least $ 16-20 long term. I don't want to be making $13 after one year. It's fine as an additional position for experience and extra money as my other job is part time, but ultimately I need a full time position making considerably more.