getting rejection email because of lack of experience

Daisygirl29

So I am still waiting to hear back from a few of my interviews. I have another one tomorrow.

I just got a rejection email from one saying that they "loved me" and felt I would be a perfect fit but they wanted someone with more experience.

They knew what my experience level was when they called me for the interview. I did not lie about anything on my resume.

So my question is why do employers waste time interviewing candidates who don't have the level of experience they want? Wouldn't their time be better spent interviewing candidates that have the level of experience they want?

:mad::mad::mad::mad:

Wouldn't their time be better spent interviewing candidates that have the level of experience they want?

Because they might not have had any candidates to interview with the level of experience they desired and if that were the case, they may have been willing to train someone with less experience.

Oftentimes, they just don't know until they start seeing people.

• Like 2
creighton0123

Being in a position to hire, I have done this. In one case, I was surprised. Experience was minimal, but EQ and conceptual understanding were very high. I took a risk and hired and it paid off.

In another situation, experience was missing and so was any evidence that the candidate would be able to rise to the challenge.

It's not all that uncommon of a practice.

They may interview other candidates to show that they interviewed a specific # of people before they give the job to the person they handpicked in the 1st place.

You may also wow them.

I was under qualified & without experience for my 1st job but I went in there full of bravado promising to be what they really wanted plus they could mold me.

• Like 2
I was under qualified & without experience for my 1st job but I went in there full of bravado promising to be what they really wanted plus they could mold me.

This is key to a lot of the lucrative and highly competitive positions my peers and I fought over while in co-op, and even more so in university. Being personable, moldable (flexible), and bringing value (this is very broad) to your company is what will substantially increase the probability of you getting the job.

Sure, having the marks and a relevant education will get you the interview, but so has everyone else. 1-2 years, 3-5 years... are just numbers, and technically you should've been screened based on that criteria BEFORE getting the interview. In some specific jobs, experience will bear a lot of weight. But it all comes down to what you have over the other person. If you can quantify and highlight that within the short period of experience that you had accomplished more than what you think your competitors can do, (As d0nnivain mentioned: "Wow them") that could far exceed their expectations and take them by surprise.

• Author
Because you still might be a good fit despite lack of experience.

That is what I don't get though. They gave me the impression that I was a perfect fit. They just said they were in need of someone who could basically start and get to work right away without any training. It is just frustrating to have a company give you false hope.

That is what I don't get though. They gave me the impression that I was a perfect fit. They just said they were in need of someone who could basically start and get to work right away without any training. It is just frustrating to have a company give you false hope.

Ok so you didn't get the job and that sucks. Here's the upside though.... you obviously interview well and are a strong candidate. If limited experience is the only thing you lack then that isn't a horrible challenge to have. Keep looking and keep wowing in interviews and you'll land a position eventually.

• Like 2