I had an interview today, and I got a reject email within an hour. What is going on?

I went in for an interview today, and got a reject email within 1 hour. Wow. The person that interviewed me told me that she was still interviewing other people and that she would make her decision by the end of next week, apparently she made her decision right after the interview was over. I don't know what went wrong. I arrived on time, about 15 minutes early. I dressed professionally, wore a business suit, asked all the right questions. And the position was similar to what I'm doing in my current job....I'm guessing it had to do with my personal well-being that they didn't like and my skills didn't matter once again..

There is no such thing as doing all the right things. You cannot possibly know what an interviewer "wants", which is way I always go into an interview with the goal of making myself happy. As long as I can walk out knowing that I represented myself the way I wanted to that's all I can ask for. Would I have liked to get the job? Sometimes, but that's out of my control. Don't try to be what they want, try to be the best representation of you.

All that said, I would love if people would take the time to send me a rejection so promptly. At least 80% of the interviews I have gone on (and there are plenty!) result in being ignored after. Any attempt to get some insight 3 weeks later are met with generic "we are in process of interviewing..." BS. No one has the balls to tell it straight anymore. I will sometimes get a letter or email months later, long after I forgot about it, like they're doing me some kind of favor by keeping me informed.

• Like 3
I went in for an interview today, and got a reject email within 1 hour. Wow. The person that interviewed me told me that she was still interviewing other people and that she would make her decision by the end of next week, apparently she made her decision right after the interview was over. I don't know what went wrong. I arrived on time, about 15 minutes early. I dressed professionally, wore a business suit, asked all the right questions. And the position was similar to what I'm doing in my current job....I'm guessing it had to do with my personal well-being that they didn't like and my skills didn't matter once again..

The interviewer did you a favor. I'd actually love to know within 15 minutes whether or not I'm still in the running.

• Like 4

sometimes a company is looking for the right personality to fit in with the other coworkers. So it never has anything to do with someone being on time or how well someone was dressed. I was told months later by my supervisor that she was looking for a man to fill my current position because she didn't get along with the last person who was a woman. So don't take rejection personal because sometimes it's not about what you did wrong just that they are looking for a certain of person. So don't let it get you down just keep pushing and stay positive and you will be fine

this happened to a friend of mine. went for an interview at about 10am and by 4pm he had a call saying no. the thing that happened was that they took an internal candidate, sot hey basically knew beforehand who had the job. sometimes that accounts for very quick replies, when they have already filled the position and the interviews are for legal reasons.

There is no such thing as doing all the right things. You cannot possibly know what an interviewer "wants", which is way I always go into an interview with the goal of making myself happy. As long as I can walk out knowing that I represented myself the way I wanted to that's all I can ask for. Would I have liked to get the job? Sometimes, but that's out of my control. Don't try to be what they want, try to be the best representation of you.

All that said, I would love if people would take the time to send me a rejection so promptly. At least 80% of the interviews I have gone on (and there are plenty!) result in being ignored after. Any attempt to get some insight 3 weeks later are met with generic "we are in process of interviewing..." BS. No one has the balls to tell it straight anymore. I will sometimes get a letter or email months later, long after I forgot about it, like they're doing me some kind of favor by keeping me informed.

I remember saying after the interview for the job I have now that whether they call me back or not I was pleased at how I handled myself today which all that matters. So I agree totally about making yourself happy

At least they were kind enough to tell you after the interview. I was shot down in the middle of an interview once after commuting half an hour. I would have felt better after a proper interview and then turned down, rather than made to feel like I wasted my time.

VeronicaRoss

As someone who has been involved in a lot of hiring, it could have even been strengths that lost you the job, so don't fret!

They could have hired someone who went to their alma mater too, someone who liked the same sports and kind of fit the qualifications. Or someone who had tons more experience and the boss was imaging all their spare time as the workaholic smartie does the real work, or less experience and that made an insecure manager feel confident.

So be happy you know and keep on going.

It also sounds like they could have had another candidate picked out and went through with the interview anyways and politely rejected later.

I think it was actually really nice of them to let you know as soon as they knew they wouldn't be taking you. Far too many employers leave people hanging for far too long.

• Like 1
Daisygirl29
I think it was actually really nice of them to let you know as soon as they knew they wouldn't be taking you. Far too many employers leave people hanging for far too long.

^^^^ This 100%. I went on an interview about three weeks ago and they told me they would call me the next day. I still haven't heard anything. The follow up call I made was ignored. I just wish employers could have the balls to tell me I am not the right fit for them so I would know.

It does suck to get rejected but it happens to everyone. Be grateful they let you know right away and keep looking.

• Like 3
^^^^ This 100%. I went on an interview about three weeks ago and they told me they would call me the next day. I still haven't heard anything. The follow up call I made was ignored. I just wish employers could have the balls to tell me I am not the right fit for them so I would know.

Yes. Especially when you really want the job and thus are trying to keep your options open in case you get it. Getting an answer and being able to move on is much, much better.