Can you trust HR?

Eternal Sunshine

What's the real role of HR? For example, if you have a problem with a collegue or a boss is talking to HR a good idea?

FYI I am trying to give advice to a friend (really!) and my view is that they shouldn't trust HR to help them. Am I wrong?

GorillaTheater

Depends on the HR Director, in my experience. The good ones act as a "check" on supervisors who want to discipline employees to ensure that good grounds exist and that the situation has been handled fairly. They know that it's pretty common for an issue to be a "supervisor" issue more so than an "employee" issue.

As for your situation, it kind of depends on the issue. If there's something along the lines of illegal discrimination or sexual harassment, the employee needs to approach HR, regardless. If it's more of a personality issue, there's not much HR can do anyways unless you all have some kind of mediation program, which IME have kind of dicey success rates.

EDIT: for what it's worth, I'm the guy HR calls with the "problem" cases.

• Like 1

I would be hesitant as HR (despite whatever they say) works in the best interest of the company! Therefore it depends on the seniority and importance of the individual you are seeking to complain about. It also depends on the nature of the complaint.

I would certainly be weary about rocking the boat. Maybe an idea to how HR dealt with problems in the past and did the complainant end up leaving in most cases?

• Like 3
I would be hesitant as HR (despite whatever they say) works in the best interest of the company! Therefore it depends on the seniority and importance of the individual you are seeking to complain about. It also depends on the nature of the complaint.

I would certainly be weary about rocking the boat. Maybe an idea to how HR dealt with problems in the past and did the complainant end up leaving in most cases?

This. It's hard to say when you have no other option but HR unless your company is unionized, then you can speak to a union rep. But after my fair share of dealing with incompetent HR people, it has me rethinking my being able to go to them about personal issues.

HRs job is to make the company run more smoothly & therefore more profitably. They are NEVER on the side of the employee but they can be helpful as a 1st line of defense.

• Like 5

I work for a HUGE corporation and we have a whole ethics organization....so I'm of the opinion that HR is on the up and up because if they screw you over ethics will be on their a55 like flies on poop.

Not only that, I've dealt with HR at my location personally. Very confidential and low profile. Never had an issue. I'm sure not everyone's experience mirrors mine though.

• Like 1

I did have the experience of talking to HR about an issue I was having with the assistant manager because the manager was in a clique with her and I felt I needed to talk to HR. Ultimately, as you all have said, the HR focuses on the best company outcome. They did help the problem and scare the asst manager so the problem was resolved, but there were some things they insisted needed to change on my side regardless of what the manager did. However, I was still ultimately forced out as they just decreased my working hours to get me to quit. And they could justify it because working hours are based on performance and the manager can claim I wasn't performing all she wanted.

TRUST NOONE with a complaint or issue (unless you are planning to leave, and do not require a letter of recommendation from former employer). Just do your job, and keep your lip zipped. Especially HR, or a hotline are not safe or there for your interests or protection.

Little more detail on related subject from my experience when it gets down and dirty:

EEOC (that is a joke) - you never wanna want to go thru that maze, only to find they are maxed out, and will be forced to drop your case. Don't worry - the perpetrator will eventually hang themselves if you give them enough rope. Best bet in horrible cases is tape-recordings.

FYI Here is a great book I just finished reading, somewhat related: The Whistleblower's Handbook: Step-by-Step Guide to Doing What's Right and Protecting Yourself, Sephen Martin Kohn, Esq. I know a couple posters might really like this read. Five bucks used on Amazon. Yas

• Like 1

Tell her to report to her immediate supervisor or manager. Never jump over their head and go straight to HR.

HR departments in larger organizations, where there are multiple HR people, tend to have more of the employees interests on their minds. Smaller companies with only 1 HR person, or even worse, a finance person handling HR, are there for the sole purpose of looking out for the best interests of the company.

Either way, make sure you are 100% in the right before filing a complaint.

• Like 3
HR departments in larger organizations, where there are multiple HR people, tend to have more of the employees interests on their minds. Smaller companies with only 1 HR person, or even worse, a finance person handling HR, are there for the sole purpose of looking out for the best interests of the company.

Either way, make sure you are 100% in the right before filing a complaint.

This. Small companies you are pretty much SOL, but large corporations usually have an open door policy and have always been helpful to me for the most part.

It is going to vary of course. HR is made up of humans so there may be human error. HR is there to make sure that the company and employees are putting the company in the right with state and local laws and company culture. Is it perfect? No. I do agree a larger HR department, and a larger company in general, will have gone through the growing pains, dealt with EEOC, DOL, general experience, and other issues that will have honed policies and company culture to understand that doing right by the law is easier and more productive.

But there is only so much HR can do, and especially in situations of he said/she said with no deal breaker an outcome can be a draw.

So the real role of HR? To be a strategic partner to management. Does that mean they are anti-employee? Absolutely not.

It can be helpful but I can't promise that. It really does depend on the issues and the players involved.

VeronicaRoss

I work in a very large corporation. I've been stunned at the honesty and helpfulness of the HR people. I was told by one not to attempt to advance my career in the department of a certain VP as she'd make sure I was cut down at the knees if I was being successful. Just a few weeks ago an HR rep I asked for advice on my resume recommended I look outside the company for a new job as he's worried about the future of the company based on what he gets to see in the new management!

In this large corporate environment I've had great success with HR to get advice, but they can't really do much to help beyond that. Should I pursue this advanced degree, recommendations for a local career consult, how to deal with a difficult co-worker or manager? They're great for that. HR has no power to discipline managers though, only as much as an exec will give them and that can be all over the map.

Anyone who works in a small or medium company I'd say don't go to HR for real issues, as tempting as it is. Either get a new job or go to an attorney if something has legal implications and if its that bad you should be looking for a new job anyway. I reported a boss sexually harassing a co-worker to HR in my second year out of college and was let go almost immediately. That was at a smaller but still publicly held company with a progressive reputation too. Even if the company says they have an open door policy, ask around for stories if anyone has ever tried to exercise it.

It all comes down to incentives, and the contract that is in place for the HR. HR is hired by the company. Their incentives is to put their interests, which is almost always aligned with the company that hired them.

The same goes with auditors, who are supposed to give an independent 3rd party opinion. Yet, they are biased and go through negotiations with the client, because the client is paying them. Their incentive is to make their client happy, unless they have to choose between the client or violating professional standards.

Many people get mixed up between an Ombudsman (who is an ombudsman in essence, not just by name) and HR.

I worked with HR for six months. From an educational stand point it was a RUDE awakening. The biggest being, they are neither counselor to the employees or peace makers. They are set to manage that all federal and state regulaions are being upheld. From employee files to OSHA, Insurance, and benefit packages. They are not there to do anything other then Prevent any regulatory fines on records kept and policy being followed. They document and file, update and work closely with management. They are bias to the umpth degree, because they are there the same as you. to collect a paycheck and do so with the tasks at hand. HR can be visited when time off listed under FEMA or when labor laws are violated. Other then that they are not for the common employee. They are hired by the company, not for you the employee, but in spite of you , the employee. Once that is grasped its easy to understand, you are your own best advocate.

• Like 2
  • Author
Eternal Sunshine

My friend met with HR (large HR department here) and they told him to organize a meeting with a senior person he has a problem with and to try to bring it all out in the open. If they fail, they will send a mediator to meet with them next.

Those 2 are at each other's throats...not sure if it's a good idea. My friend seems happy with this though so we will see.

It probably depends on the company.

I do not trust HR at all at my company. They are the worst gossips, and nothing that they hear about is a secret. One of them has even told another employee what salary his peers earn.

creighton0123
What's the real role of HR? For example, if you have a problem with a colleague or a boss is talking to HR a good idea?

FYI I am trying to give advice to a friend (really!) and my view is that they shouldn't trust HR to help them. Am I wrong?

I might suggest that while it is acceptable to go to HR with vague problems and suggestions they might have to address said problems, go for it.

Tread carefully, however, if you wish to raise specific problems with HR - particularly about colleagues.

In one example, I was feeling very overworked due to demands from leadership. I talked to an HR representative and asked what she recommended in order to establish more balance. Even though I was non specific, she could tell I was holding back and launched a full-scale company survey on the topic only to return the fact that everyone felt burned out and lacking in management direction.

The results: the entire company became stronger, pressure decreased, and the CEO launched an entire discussion on reducing friction and respecting boundaries.

That is a good experience and that is exactly what HR is there for - to improve the quality of the company.

If you go to HR, make sure to go with this mindset - and avoid throwing anyone specific under the bus.

• Like 1