Accepted an offer but may receive a better one?

LoveAnimals

So last week i had 3 different interviews in 3 different companies. All companies required second round interviews. Earlier this week, my second choice company offered me the job on the spot during my second interview with them. They were very nice to me, agreed to let me take my already planned vacation and even raised their pay to meet my minimum requirements. They even had me come in the next morning to sign the written agreement and I start with them on Monday. I took this offer because it seems they are very nice people and I didnt think I would hear back from my first choice as it had already been almost a week since my first interview with them. Few hours later my third choice calls and offers me the job, i politely declined but thanked them yada yada. The next day a few hours after I signed the written offer my first choice calls and wants to have a last round interview with me :eek: I ended up accepting the interview anyway. Well it turns out the second interview went great, they were very impressed by me and I have a VERY STRONG feeling that they will offer me the job sometime next week.

I know some of you may think i am getting ahead of myself but i really need to prepare myself for what to do should this occur.

Both positions are new positions that the companies are creating. The first job that i accepted pays my minimum requirements but the potential one pays 10-15k more a year ( Its a salary job) I also prefer the location of the second job because if my bf and I break up ( and it may happen in the next few months) there is no way I could live close enough to commute to the job i took.

The second company is definitely more challenging and the people i may have to work with are not always the nicest BUT it is something that would look very nice on a resume. The second position sounds more along the lines of my "dream job".

Should I get offered this other position I just dont know what to do... If I should stick with the nice job I accepted to work for or if i should take a risk and take the second. I would also feel incredibly guilty and awkward having to deny the job i committed to starting to. Part of me feels like i should just keep the job i committed to because i would feel guilty. Others tell me to do whats best for me and not anybody else... Please help! lol

What is the small-print on the agreement you've already signed? What kind of an agreement is it?

well, you are probably on probation with this new company anyway for the first 3-6 months, and probation is for both parties, you and the company. it would be ok to accept the new position (if you want it) and to tell the company you first accepted with that it won't work out after all. a friend of mine just ran into this situation - he accepted a position and 2 weeks later his "dream job" came around. he decided to leave the first position for the second and based his decision on the work schedule, pay, and possibilities for advancement.

• Author
LoveAnimals
What is the small-print on the agreement you've already signed? What kind of an agreement is it?

Thanks guys for your input. And the fine print clearly states it is an at will job and both the employer or employee can terminate the businesses relationship for any reason. So no actual contract or anything.

MuscleCarFan

Why did you accept #1 if you couldn't do the commute long term? Hopefully you will know about #2 before you begin work at #1. I'm not fond of working for an employer for a few days and then resigning. I had an offer that paid considerably more once, but it wasn't a permanent job.

• Like 1

if you didn't actually start the job you accepted first then I don't see a problem. Now if you committed to starting a job and leave after 3 or 4 days then that would look bad.

To me shorter commute has always been the deciding factor when deciding between multiple job offers.

Why did you accept #1 if you couldn't do the commute long term? Hopefully you will know about #2 before you begin work at #1. I'm not fond of working for an employer for a few days and then resigning. I had an offer that paid considerably more once, but it wasn't a permanent job.

i agree you have to find out as much as possible to avoid starting a job and then disappearing after 3 or 4 days. That's why I used to get start dates pushed back as far as possible to buy more time.