got a freelance job but..

Was just offered a freelance career job that pays 2500K for 10 days of work spread over the next month (not bad). The woman is really nice and seems to like me.

But she told me she knows my old boss well (!), the terrible woman who made my life a living hell for six months and refused to give me a good reference. If she checks in with this woman, it's all over.

Is there anything I can do? I can't believe how everyone seems to know her. I just want to put that experience behind me.

Edited by tuxedo cat
Hope Shimmers

I would tend to think that if she was going to check with your old boss, she would have done so before offering you the freelance assignment. If she happens to talk with your old boss at this point or after, she should not pull the assignment from you - if she was going to check references that should have been done earlier (I realize that reality doesn't always follow those rules).

If by chance she does bring it up with you, you should just say that you and your old boss had some differences in opinion but you know you can do a great job on this project.

But likely she will give you a chance at this point no matter what and it's your perfect opportunity to prove how good you are.

• Like 2

TBH, 2500 in 10 days seems to good to be true, especially if you haven't done freelance before. If I remember correctly, you have minimal professional experience. I had another job in which my bosses had known each other, but they never talked to each other and if they did, there wasn't any concerns.

• Author
TBH, 2500 in 10 days seems to good to be true, especially if you haven't done freelance before. If I remember correctly, you have minimal professional experience. I had another job in which my bosses had known each other, but they never talked to each other and if they did, there wasn't any concerns.

Yeah, commercial jobs pay well in casting. That is what a starting assistant/associate gets paid.

I really lucked out in getting this gig. I found her agency by accident after doing a google search and she told me she rarely takes on people who reach out to her but she found my resume and cover letter interesting.

I still need to find a secondary coffee shop job.

I've had luck with side jobs that build professional experience. Be it freelance or another part time office job. I was recently offered a job that has a telecommuting option, which would work great with my other part time schedule.

Edited by pink_sugar
  • Author

I hate to be pessimistic but I just have this bad feeling that she has either spoken to my old boss or will soon. Before and immediately after we met she was emailing me with updates about the job every day. Now I haven't heard everything. I really hope this isn't the case because if this job doesn't turn out I may have to leave NY as I won't be able to pay my rent.

MuscleCarFan
I hate to be pessimistic but I just have this bad feeling that she has either spoken to my old boss or will soon. Before and immediately after we met she was emailing me with updates about the job every day. Now I haven't heard everything. I really hope this isn't the case because if this job doesn't turn out I may have to leave NY as I won't be able to pay my rent.

Put your mind at ease by shooting her an email or phone call to ask for an update.

• Like 1
  • Author
Put your mind at ease by shooting her an email or phone call to ask for an update.

Good idea but she said she'd give me an update at the end of next week. Maybe I should wait until then?

Good idea but she said she'd give me an update at the end of next week. Maybe I should wait until then?

Maybe there isn't any update to give at the moment, which is why you haven't heard anything. Try not to stress it. It's probably going to be ok.