asking for time to think about a job offer

Daisygirl29

I am a recent graduate and have been going on several job interviews lately. I have my top choice interview tomorrow. What I am wondering is if one of the other places I have interviewed at offers me a job how can I professionally ask for more time without them thinking I am not interested?

Also what is the standard length of time that is acceptable to ask for?

• Like 2

This is hard. I'd say it depends on how quickly the job needs to be filled. There is always the chance they could offer the position to someone else if you wait too long. My last job actually gave me a few days to accept/sign the employment offer, which was standard. If you don't respond or accept within the allotted time frame, they'd move on to another candidate. I'd simply ask how long you have to accept the offer and see what they say.

• Like 1
melodicintention

That's a really good and interesting question. I read that there is no standard, but most companies range from 24hrs to 3 day. You could delay the offer by asking for it in writing, and by asking to make adjustments to the offer yourself. Another thought, accept the job and if you get the other, just quit. People do it everyday.

• Like 1
That's a really good and interesting question. I read that there is no standard, but most companies range from 24hrs to 3 day. You could delay the offer by asking for it in writing, and by asking to make adjustments to the offer yourself. Another thought, accept the job and if you get the other, just quit. People do it everyday.

Although people do frequently do this, it isn't necessarily a good thing. In most cases you're burning a bridge and you never know where you will be in the future.

If at all possible ask for a few days to review the offer. I've been given anywhere from 3 days to an entire week to decide on an offer, then been allowed to give 2 weeks notice at my current job once I've accepted the new one. Many employers will prefer a candidate that wants to be absolutely certain they want the job, are exiting their old one professionally, and aren't going to quit a few days later for greener pastures.

• Like 2

I do a lot of hiring. I'm somewhat peeved if I haven't heard anything back in 48 hours, at least asking for a little more time.

• Like 1

I have always just been honest and said that as I am looking for roles I have more interviews coming up.

Eg. My final interview is Tuesday so can I respond on Wednesday morning by 10am.

However. it all depends upon the job market in your area andhow long it is until that other upcoming interview.

It also depends on how competitive the employment market is.

Don't put off a response if the next interview is a week away.

If a company fees that your heart isn't in it they could continue interviewing and withdraw the offer they made you.

All but just one of the permanent roles I went for an interview for offered me the job there and then at the interview.

I was also offered another three jobs at interview and I asked for time to think and turned those roles down. I asked for time to think because I didn't want that job..but I was in a position where I could be picky.

As another poster said...just accept and then change your mind if you have to.

I've also done that before.

Loyalty is one thing but the one you should be most loyal to is yourself.

Don't lose a 'good' opportunity if 'the great one' could take time to arrive in your lap.

OP if you are offered one of the job just give a start date that is 2 weeks away so you can buy a little time to make your decision. And once you make your decision just let the other company know that you accepted another offer so they can have time to offer that job to someone else.

• Like 2

I do hiring at my firm, and it wouldn't phase me if someone asked for up to a week to decide. After all, it's a big decision and I realize folks are interviewing elsewhere. However, much more than that makes me think that we are probably not their first choice, so it dampers my enthusiasm to hire that person. I don't typically give them more than a week to decide unless there is good reason; we move on to the next person on the list and give them the offer.

I always wait to see the offer in writing including salary and contract. Sometimes there are really onerous non-compete provisions and I like to see the contract before I make a decision.

This usually buys you a few extra days to a few weeks.

I always wait to see the offer in writing including salary and contract. Sometimes there are really onerous non-compete provisions and I like to see the contract before I make a decision.

This usually buys you a few extra days to a few weeks.

DEFINITELY get the offer in writing. No matter what. My first job out of college I moved across country with only a verbal offer because I was naive and didn't think about it that much. When my company realized that I had moved across the country and they had failed to give me an offer in writing, they were very surprised. Luckily the offer was still on the table and I worked for them for years.

I had another verbal offer a few years later, to move back across the country, but I never got a written offer. I requested it a couple times, and after the third request I was told that they couldn't afford my salary. Luckily that time I had learned my lesson and not picked up and moved again.

• Like 1
I do hiring at my firm, and it wouldn't phase me if someone asked for up to a week to decide. After all, it's a big decision and I realize folks are interviewing elsewhere. However, much more than that makes me think that we are probably not their first choice, so it dampers my enthusiasm to hire that person. I don't typically give them more than a week to decide unless there is good reason; we move on to the next person on the list and give them the offer.

I figured that which is why I think it's best just to give a start date 2 or 3 weeks away rather than saying I need a week to decide. In this economy I don't think a company is going to wait for someone's decision when they can easily go to the next person.

DEFINITELY get the offer in writing. No matter what. My first job out of college I moved across country with only a verbal offer because I was naive and didn't think about it that much. When my company realized that I had moved across the country and they had failed to give me an offer in writing, they were very surprised. Luckily the offer was still on the table and I worked for them for years.

I had another verbal offer a few years later, to move back across the country, but I never got a written offer. I requested it a couple times, and after the third request I was told that they couldn't afford my salary. Luckily that time I had learned my lesson and not picked up and moved again.

yeah you definitely have to get a written confirmation and start date

VeronicaRoss

Interviewing goes both ways. How interested are you in them?

Realize they can offer that job to anyone at anytime, they don't actually have to hold it if they agree to waiting for an answer from you. So know what you want before the offers come in.

Sounds to me you need to be more clear on what you're looking for from your job. How much do you want to work for each of these companies? I'd stick to a list of criteria, not just the first offer unless you're financially desperate.

Ditto on the written offer if for no other reason than if they hesitate, you have an even better idea of the ethics of the company. Its not uncommon for an employer to ignore what they promised verbally let alone what they've written. They can always play the 'oh that person isn't an officer of the company (this is a legal definition -- someone who has signing authority that is legally binding) and they were acting beyond their authority'. If you have it in writing it's still not a guarantee but you'll know if they don't honor what's written you're working for crooks and you'll undoubtably have to deal with that behavior in other ways too.

I am a recent graduate and have been going on several job interviews lately. I have my top choice interview tomorrow. What I am wondering is if one of the other places I have interviewed at offers me a job how can I professionally ask for more time without them thinking I am not interested?

Also what is the standard length of time that is acceptable to ask for?

I would just accept the offer and give a future start date so you can buy yourself some more time to decide. I wouldn't ask any employer can I have some time to decide since its so many people looking for jobs. Just accept and give a start date 2 or 3 weeks into the future. That way yoy can avoid being left with no offers. Always put a offer in your pocket so you can easily negotiate with other places. Plus you would have something to fall back on if the other offers are not as good as the one you already have

creighton0123

Don't commit to anything on the spot and don't lie. If they ask you whether you are interviewing at other companies, say yes. Most interviewers will understand and will appreciate your being candid. In my first post-college interview, I was given the offer on the spot, but was told not to accept until I took another scheduled interview at another company.

If they don't ask - leave it until you get an offer.

This is not uncommon. Once you get an offer, however, it is up to you to reject it or accept it. Do not accept and then renege the offer.

Do not verbally accept an offer. If one is extended, ask for it in writing (email).

This is an issue of emotional maturity, which you will develop over time. Eventually you will be able to not only be interviewed, but also interview the company in question. You will also have a better idea of the market and your chances of security another position elsewhere.

• Like 1