Management Problem

bathtub-row

I'm a manager at a mid-size firm, and I have 3 people on my team. I have had 2 consistent problems that I just can't seem to ever get a handle on and I'm catching a lot of heat about it from my Corp office. I'm hoping someone here can help because I'm at a loss.

Problem #1 -A big part of the job for my team is doing data entry. It's not standard data entry, it's fairly complicated at times. So, say, for 2500 entries, the whole group may have about 25 errors. This seems like a low percentage rate but my counterpart's team in another division has about half that amount. I've thought about calling her for advice but I don't know if she'd have anything to say that I haven't already heard. Whenever I interview people for these Admin jobs, I try to explain to them just how complicated it is but they never really understand it fully until they actually start working there. A recent new-hire said to me that she had no idea it was so complicated, that there's SO much to remember. And this is really the problem - too much room for error. We have all kinds of checks at the end of the day, etc. but still seem to make errors (not looking for perfection here but we need to reduce them significantly). I'm not sure comparing my team to another division is a true 'apples to apples' comparison but I'm assuming it's close enough. Bottom line: I'm trying to figure out how my team can cut down on errors.

Problem #2 - There are numerous emails that we have to deal with. While waiting on an answer from one person, other people are waiting on our response. What is the most efficient way to keep track of emails that you need an answer on, and that correlate with emails that need to be followed-up on? I have a fairly decent method where I keep things in a 'Follow up' folder and a 'Waiting' folder but it's not completely efficient. I keep wondering if there's a better method. Our company recently moved to using Google email so I'm still trying to adjust to the switch from Outlook.

I would love some input on these things.

Thanks!

• Like 1

Who does the hiring at your firm? Perhaps you should have some sort of proficiency test for new hires that tests WPM and you can see the average amount of errors applicants make when typing.

• Author
bathtub-row

I interview them first and then my boss sits in on the second interview. We look for people who have experience with the things they'll do for us. So far, there has been no proficiency test from us. When we hire through an agency, they do the testing. I'm not sure if that's the issue, though. Everyone there can type well and we hire intelligent people. The newest person we have is questionable, though, because she's extremely methodical and not very organized. I know -- it seems that someone being methodical would be a good fit but it backfires in a fast-paced environment. We tell them to slow down, make less mistakes, but everyone's on a time-crunch.

We've had a lot of upheaval in our dept lately, also. In the past 6 mos or so, we've made 3 major changes that have been pretty disruptive. Corp doesn't care about that, though. They only care about the numbers.

TheFinalWord
I'm a manager at a mid-size firm, and I have 3 people on my team. I have had 2 consistent problems that I just can't seem to ever get a handle on and I'm catching a lot of heat about it from my Corp office. I'm hoping someone here can help because I'm at a loss.

Problem #1 -A big part of the job for my team is doing data entry. It's not standard data entry, it's fairly complicated at times. So, say, for 2500 entries, the whole group may have about 25 errors. This seems like a low percentage rate but my counterpart's team in another division has about half that amount. I've thought about calling her for advice but I don't know if she'd have anything to say that I haven't already heard. Whenever I interview people for these Admin jobs, I try to explain to them just how complicated it is but they never really understand it fully until they actually start working there. A recent new-hire said to me that she had no idea it was so complicated, that there's SO much to remember. And this is really the problem - too much room for error. We have all kinds of checks at the end of the day, etc. but still seem to make errors (not looking for perfection here but we need to reduce them significantly). I'm not sure comparing my team to another division is a true 'apples to apples' comparison but I'm assuming it's close enough. Bottom line: I'm trying to figure out how my team can cut down on errors.

Interesting!

For your first problem, do you have time do cross-analyses? For example, if my research team and I are entering data, we will enter it separately and then both run descriptive stats to see if the means, std. deviations etc line up. You can do this on every nth point of entry (say every 100 entries). If you are using excel, I believe there are functions to determine where differences in data entry lie. We will also do random sampling of data entries to determine if they are accurate.

Can you elaborate on what type of data you are entering?

Edited by TheFinalWord
  • Like 1
  • Author
bathtub-row

We can tell who's making the errors, for the most part. Our database tracks who made the last entry, etc. Sometimes it's hard to tell but not most of the time.

Without getting too specific about what we do, it's one type of thing that hinges on another. Hence, the margin for error. Also, scheduling is involved. So, for example, if one thing is done tomorrow, then what must follow are two other things somewhere down the road - say in 3 mos. But this is not always static due to client criteria, location, changes, etc; and it depends on people outside the company requesting the correct thing. If they don't, we have to catch the discrepancy. Our database is geared to catch certain discrepancies but it doesn't catch everything (again, due to so many different clients and criteria; i.e. what applies to one doesn't apply to another).

We're not using Excel but a web-based database. However, the screen images can be copied into an Excel spreadsheet and manipulated that way. When I become aware of errors, I plug that info into a chart and identify the types of errors being made. It helps to see that but I don't know what the fix is. So, for instance, one error may be that something was missed and not added to the database, or was scheduled incorrectly. Another error could be that one thing was done but not another. Again, I don't know how to fix that.

Does that help?

Would you elaborate on the thing about descriptive stats?

We have departments with similar needs as well, i.e A/P for example. I would suggest contact your counterpart to find out how she is doing things, how she is hiring, what are her best practices. You may learn something or two. If the variables are the same between both teams there is something that is being done differently to cut the error rate.

I would work with recruiting on how they are sourcing candidates. Does your company give any "finder fees" to a current employee recommending someone that ends up being a successful hire?

There are different testing options your company can pick up to test candidates. I would look into that.

Have you polled your team to see if they have any suggestions? Task them with coming up with a game plan for that desired end goal. Can you further incentive them to hit that mark?

donnabella8

To your second issue, I work for an author who has many people working on one project. We use BaseCamp for project management - it allows the originator to post the project guidelines and assign tasks to specific personnel. All replies are posted to the same project, so that everyone involved can see the current status of the project and what still needs to be done. It's very efficient. Info here: https://basecamp.com

Good luck! :)

This sounds very similar to some issues I have with one of the departments where I work.

The only way I can try to track errors is to regularly run reports and I have a spreadsheet set up to quickly make visible most of the common errors. I literally copy sections of it to the relevant staff members to check and correct.

The team does have a checklist but they all consider themselves too experienced to use it so they don't. However, and in fairness, as in your business mine is a separate entity with each different entry.

The only way that I have ever found one of the team to check something thoroughly (rather than just amend one single error which I have spotted) is to ask them to check the entry against the order to make sure all is correct.

Psychology wise this makes them feel responsible for the 'entire entry' - so they feel valued and important that you are asking they check all is correct (see what I mean?). It doesn't matter if a number of them have to have input creating that entry. It matters that you trust that one person to check it all.

It's actually even better if the one person you give the trust to is the worst offender - see what you get back from them..

You may have only spotted one error...but you are trusting them to check it 'all' and come back and make all and any adjustments needed.

If you are able to do that where you spot an error...it's the way forward.

I don't have the opportunity to do this on a terribly regular basis but the responses and feedback I get from those staff I have approached in that way have been incredibly positive, all issues rectified (instead of just the one I noticed) and they give a well thought response and reasoning behind their mail reply rather than 'I forgot'. Sometimes you will still get that as a response but quite often there may have been some barrier that made them not remember to go back - a delay or something - sometimes it isn't always all of their fault...or there have been factors that made it more tricky to remember to correct.

(a bit like when you don't flag/remember to reply to or chase all of your emails... :))

(but for the record it does drive me a little bit crazy when the database is badly wrong...you are not alone! They should be able to do their job without being coaxed to do it!)

I use Outlook so I flag and mark as unread.

I also hand write a 'to do' list to remind me to go back to things.

The hand written list is way more effective than flagging mails though.

• Like 1
  • Author
bathtub-row
To your second issue, I work for an author who has many people working on one project. We use BaseCamp for project management - it allows the originator to post the project guidelines and assign tasks to specific personnel. All replies are posted to the same project, so that everyone involved can see the current status of the project and what still needs to be done. It's very efficient. Info here: https://basecamp.com

Good luck! :)

I'll check that out. Thank you!

• Author
bathtub-row
We have departments with similar needs as well, i.e A/P for example. I would suggest contact your counterpart to find out how she is doing things, how she is hiring, what are her best practices. You may learn something or two. If the variables are the same between both teams there is something that is being done differently to cut the error rate.

I would work with recruiting on how they are sourcing candidates. Does your company give any "finder fees" to a current employee recommending someone that ends up being a successful hire?

There are different testing options your company can pick up to test candidates. I would look into that.

Have you polled your team to see if they have any suggestions? Task them with coming up with a game plan for that desired end goal. Can you further incentive them to hit that mark?

I just don't think it's the people on my team. They all do a great job. Today we had a group meeting with the corp office - my team and the team there. It wasn't the grilling that I got the other day and their numbers show that we have 1 error per 160 entries. I think they're just splitting hairs, to be honest.

However, we have a couple of things in place now that I think will make a significant difference. One of them is the recent change we made on Jul 1, and the other is that me and my team are going to cross-check one another. I think this will minimize errors as much as possible.

Edited by bathtub-row
  • Author
bathtub-row

Thanks for all your helpful comments, everyone. I'll let you know what the numbers look like next month. :)

I just don't think it's the people on my team. They all do a great job. Today we had a group meeting with the corp office - my team and the team there. It wasn't the grilling that I got the other day and their numbers show that we have 1 error per 160 entries. I think they're just splitting hairs, to be honest.

However, we have a couple of things in place now that I think will make a significant difference. One of them is the recent change we made on Jul 1, and the other is that me and my team are going to cross-check one another. I think this will minimize errors as much as possible.

That is great! A great manager continues to reevaluate things to make sure the team is as effective and efficient as possible. Great job!

• Like 2

...just an amusing post here but....this is so not fair!!! :laugh:

The team at my place who make the errors did it in mammoth style this month!

* I'm going to come and find your team and steal them!* :D

1 in 160 errors?

Hair splitting at it's best!

That is nothing to worry about.

One way I always see it is that if a person doesn't ever make mistakes then they don't have enough to do.

If you're working hard..you do make mistakes.

How you deal with them after the event is absolutely crucial!

Each one should be a reminder and a learning curve. :)

• Like 1