Is it wrong to turn down a job I just accepted for a better offer somewhere else?

I was recently offered a job for a position at one place and I accepted- (they want me to start in about two weeks). This place was not my first choice and their pay is rather low compared to the other opportunities I would have for a job in this line of work in my town. The reason I accepted was for the experience and the trouble I had been having with finding a job.

I have had several other places call me for an interview recently. If I am offered a job with better pay and benefits how should I handle turning down the first job I accepted? Also is it wrong for me to keep looking for a new job even though I haven’t even really started at this first one yet?

Just tell them that you got a better offer.

They may try to match it, they may not.

It's just business.

There is nothing wrong with continuing to look for the best job you can. That's actually what you should be doing.

• Like 2

I took a part time job because it was better than being unemployed. Nothing wrong with continuing to look. You don't owe them anything and an employer never seems to think twice when giving an employee the ax for very little reasoning.

You owe them nothing. Just be honest and tell them that you had another offer come along that you think was a better match for you. Like the above poster said, maybe they'll try to woo you with a better package and then you can choose. If not, then their loss!

But do thank them for consider you for their position.

• Like 2

Maybe these are old school values, but this is really a personal decision that comes down to how much one values ethics and keeping one's word.

Also, if this matters and factors into the choice, someone could miss out on an opportunity as a result of your decision. This isn't necessarily bad or good, but your action does impact others.

• Like 1
  • Author
Maybe these are old school values, but this is really a personal decision that comes down to how much one values ethics and keeping one's word.

Also, if this matters and factors into the choice, someone could miss out on an opportunity as a result of your decision. This isn't necessarily bad or good, but your action does impact others.

I do understand what you are saying, but to me I also have to factor in the fact that I am going to start to have to pay back student loans. I have also had some other unexpected expenses come up.

Working at the first place I would barely be able to make the minimum monthly payment when I factor in all my other bills and other financial issues. If I had an opportunity at one of the other places I am interviewing at I could easily pay my loans and have money left over to cover any emergencies that would arise.

I just want to handle this in the most professional way possible. I know almost anyway I handle it will leave the first place not to fond of me.

• Like 1
I do understand what you are saying, but to me I also have to factor in the fact that I am going to start to have to pay back student loans. I have also had some other unexpected expenses come up.

Working at the first place I would barely be able to make the minimum monthly payment when I factor in all my other bills and other financial issues. If I had an opportunity at one of the other places I am interviewing at I could easily pay my loans and have money left over to cover any emergencies that would arise.

I just want to handle this in the most professional way possible. I know almost anyway I handle it will leave the first place not to fond of me.

Well you shouldn't expect to be returning to that firm. You should at least let them know by talking to them in person, a phone call or even an email. It's best to do it as soon as possible, so both of you aren't wasting each party's time.

I hear you. My student loans come up next month and I am working part time. I've been looking for a second job or something full time for the same reasons.

This is business, it's not personal. Your priority is your financial security. If they want to retain candidates, they should offer the same conditions as the other places you applied (and where you might be offered a job).

Of course, as others have said, handle this professionally and tell them the minute you are approached with another offer. See what they say.

• Like 1
TheFinalWord
I was recently offered a job for a position at one place and I accepted- (they want me to start in about two weeks). This place was not my first choice and their pay is rather low compared to the other opportunities I would have for a job in this line of work in my town. The reason I accepted was for the experience and the trouble I had been having with finding a job.

I have had several other places call me for an interview recently. If I am offered a job with better pay and benefits how should I handle turning down the first job I accepted? Also is it wrong for me to keep looking for a new job even though I haven’t even really started at this first one yet?

Try to negotiate. If you have another job in hand, what do you have to lose? You can tell them you applied to multiple jobs, another firm offered more. You want to stay, but are in need of the money due to long term unemployment. If they can match, you would like to stay. If not, then you gave them a chance.

• Like 1

I think you have to factor in when you get this other offer. You have committed to them that you are accepting their position. While there is nothing legally wrong with rescinding your offer I will say you will not garner any friends with this approach and probably burn your bridge with the organization. They are processing things getting ready for your arrival, stopped their search, etc. and so this will not be news that will make them happy. Reverse the situation and think about how you would feel if they told you they found someone better and have changed their mind.

I do agree, don't take a job you know you are going to jump from almost immediately but recognize the consequences on rescinding your acceptance. It is business and not personal but it does have a ripple effect. Do what is best for you.

There's nothing wrong in it at all.

I've done the same kind of thing only with a temp role though. I was offered 3 weeks work through any agency and accepted. Later that same day another agency offered me six months work at a higher rate and working in my field.

I called to decline the three weeks - the lady at the agency had a screaming fit at me down the phone.

I took the six months (which lasted 9 months until I was head hunted) and never used the other agency again.

• Author

I do agree, don't take a job you know you are going to jump from almost immediately but recognize the consequences on rescinding your acceptance. It is business and not personal but it does have a ripple effect. Do what is best for you.

Looking back I know I should have probably not accepted the offer, but I had been searching for months and was very discouraged and broke. I wasn't expecting to hear anything from the other two places. I had applied to them months ago and I had given up on them.

I know that it is going to make the first place think very poorly of me, but when the other places would be offering a huge difference in pay (one is 25% increase and the other is around 30%) and both of the other places have much better benefits it is kind of hard to turn down.

This is my first experience job searching in the "real world". My only other job experience has been food service/grocery store type jobs and those have such a high turn over rate I wouldn't be this stressed over it if it was a job like that. Those places expect some people to not stick around for long.

• Like 1

If you get an offer at another place, how likely is it that you would have to apply for a job at the first place in the future?

Meaning: is your job contractual or is it usually more permanent? How many places are there where you can apply?

Example: a friend of mine is applying for jobs in a health related field. She's struggling to break into the good paying jobs because most of them prefer workers with experience. She's therefore accepted a lower paying position with no benefits to get experience. But she does plan on applying elsewhere and moving to more stability once she gets a better offer. In her case, it would make no sense to stay at the lower paying no benefit job if something comes along. Usually, positions are somewhat permanent and there are plenty of offices in town who employ people with her degree.

Some firms rely on transient labour, precisely because it is cheaper to do so. It could be that the firm that offered you the job is one of those. Did you get a feel for how long most people with your position stayed with the firm? Do you know about career opportunities within the organization?

• Like 1
  • Author
If you get an offer at another place, how likely is it that you would have to apply for a job at the first place in the future?

It is very unlikely that I would ever have to apply to the first place in the future. My situation is actually kind of similar to your friends. I took the low paying job because most places want someone with experience. I was very surprised when these other places called for an interview. I was expecting to have the work for the first place for awhile so I could have that experience on my resume.

The place I am supposed to start at is very small and it does not seem that there would be much (if any) room for advancement. Both of these other places would have opportunities for advancement.

Also I got the idea from the interview that most people they hire don't stick around for long. Now I could be wrong but that was just the impression I got from the lady who interviewed me.

• Like 2
Looking back I know I should have probably not accepted the offer, but I had been searching for months and was very discouraged and broke. I wasn't expecting to hear anything from the other two places. I had applied to them months ago and I had given up on them.

I know that it is going to make the first place think very poorly of me, but when the other places would be offering a huge difference in pay (one is 25% increase and the other is around 30%) and both of the other places have much better benefits it is kind of hard to turn down.

This is my first experience job searching in the "real world". My only other job experience has been food service/grocery store type jobs and those have such a high turn over rate I wouldn't be this stressed over it if it was a job like that. Those places expect some people to not stick around for long.

I hear you. I was unemployed 3 months before landing a part time job. I took it because in this economy, I wasn't sure how long it would be before receiving another offer and the last thing I wanted was for my unemployment benefits to run out before I found a job. It's hard to be picky when unemployed. If you were already employed, that would be something else entirely. I can be more choosy now. I want to stick with my current job as I like my work and my bosses. However I do need more money so I can get my own place and pay my student loans, so I need to find another part time job or full time. My bosses are in full support of me finding additional employment. I have a second interview with another part time position, but if I get hired and it goes well, it could go permanent. At that time, I will make my decision resign from my current company.