If my evaluations are good, then why no promotion?

I've been at my job 7 years. I got promoted once because someone died and I was the best candidate. Since then my annual evaluations are good to excellent. I don't get promoted, and no raises unless it's an across the board raise that everyone gets.

Someone tell me some reasons why this is?

I don't understand. It hurts my self worth.

Doing well at your job doesn't mean you will do well at a promoted position. You need to find out what the next level is and the qualifications required to perform that role. Then you need to demonstrate that level and qualifications to management.

Otherwise you will continue to be rated as a strong contributor in your current role and never progress.

All roles have their market value/compensation worth.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Quite often the hard workers get passed by because they are doing all the work. If you got promoted who would do it?

So you can "mentor" someone to get up to your speed while letting your boss's boss know you are the one responsible. That may work.

But many times it's politics. Managers want to promote someone they consider their equal, not as far as the job goes, but on a more personal level. They want someone who will help them but not outshine them.

So my best advice is to look for another job, but at the level you would be at if you got the promotion. Be sure and ask for quite a bit more money than you are currently making. Nothing makes people think you are worth it, than asking for a lot of money.

In the interview, give concrete examples of how you are doing that (next) level of work, beyond your responsibilities, despite the job title you are laboring under.

Be confident that you deserve the job (and pay) you are asking for, and they will believe you can do it. (You can always fake it until you make it).

Good luck!