not getting an interview when you have ideal experience

This keeps happening to me.

I'm applying for jobs mostly on a site that is flooded with applicants. My friend posted a fake job at one point to test the waters and received thousands of responses. Is there something I can do to stand out from the pack in this type of market?

A couple of weeks ago I applied to a job that I thought I was a shoe in for and never got a follow up about an interview.

The company was looking for a casting assistant who was experienced with video editing (which is a rare combination). They were also looking for somebody who had experience with heavy online research and social media outreach. It seemed perfect for my experience. I have casting experience, I'm certified in several video editing programs and my last casting job involved creating a massive social media campaign. I emphasized all of this in my cover letter. Basically every skill they were looking for I had. It was also a low paying job, so I'm guessing mostly entry level people applied.

Yet no interview. What gives? I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong. I've reworked my cover letter so many times and have had multiple people look at it.

• Like 1

Posting a fake job to test the waters is actually a good idea to see the competition you're up against. It also depends on the location and type of job. Skilled jobs in smaller markets seem to receive fewer applicants. For example, I had a recruiter tell me he received 5 resumes within a few days...not a high number...and my resume stood out to him because my resume was the only error-free one. Don't get discouraged though. Administrative jobs are pretty competitive. My husband almost never heard back from them when he worked in a much bigger job market. He heard back more when we moved to a smaller market.

This keeps happening to me.

I'm applying for jobs mostly on a site that is flooded with applicants. My friend posted a fake job at one point to test the waters and received thousands of responses. Is there something I can do to stand out from the pack in this type of market?

A couple of weeks ago I applied to a job that I thought I was a shoe in for and never got a follow up about an interview.

The company was looking for a casting assistant who was experienced with video editing (which is a rare combination). They were also looking for somebody who had experience with heavy online research and social media outreach. It seemed perfect for my experience. I have casting experience, I'm certified in several video editing programs and my last casting job involved creating a massive social media campaign. I emphasized all of this in my cover letter. Basically every skill they were looking for I had. It was also a low paying job, so I'm guessing mostly entry level people applied.

Yet no interview. What gives? I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong. I've reworked my cover letter so many times and have had multiple people look at it.

This isn't going to be that company you want to work for's only way to find recruits.

Just like OLD is for most folk. It's the last in the list of ways to meet someone.

This isn't going to be that company you want to work for's only way to find recruits.

Find different ways to contact them or recruitment agencies that they deal with.

Just like OLD is for most folk. It's the last in the list of ways to meet someone.

There could be many variables. Hundreds.

However, remember that some companies, government departments, etc. have a policy of advertising outside of the organization to fill positions.

Often , however, those deciding already have a candidate of their choosing...someone already working there, an acquaintance, etc.

This is our situation. I ask HR to post a position for RNA or help on our ward Usually a colleague or my staff tell me about someone they know.

Anyways. Posting a position is sometimes a formality. No one from outside 'the circle' was actually considered.

Good luck with your endeavours. Don't take a lack of response personally.

Yeah, I heard of this before. At my current job, they emailed the whole department that a team lead position was open and they even posted it up on the company website, however they decided to hire someone from our department instead of someone outside the circle. And I'm pretty sure the supervisor/manager had that person in mind on who they wanted for a team lead position.

Edited by Lipitor11