This potential client took a really odd way of contacting me!

I used to freelance full time up until a year ago when I got a full time job. Now I just do occasional easy freelance work on weekends for a little extra cash. I have my name on several freelance sites and also on Linked In (where you can connect with other people for work). A few weeks ago I get a call on my work phone. It shows the number as an outside line and a name. I don't recognize either so let it go to voice mail. No message was left. Then again about 5 minutes later the same person calls. I pick it up thinking maybe they are trying to reach someone else. This guy tells me his name and then says he was wondering if I could do a freelance project for him. I just kind of sit there dumbfounded as to why this guy called me at work! How did you get my work number and why are you calling me here rather than an email or my cell phone? My email is on almost every freelance site and if I did put my number out there it would have been my cell not my work number. I tell the guy I'm at work and would have to get back to him later and give him my email so he can send me specifics to what he wants. He sends me specifics and I email him back asking him how he got my work number. He says "I got your name off the Internet by googling cartographer. When using "illustrator" I kept getting referred to children's book illustrators. I saw you through elance but have read negative reviews of that outfit and prefer to deal with you directly. Tried sending you a message through Facebook but doubted that you would get it. Saw you were employed with _____ and since I know the outfit from the tours I took, thought I would just give you a call."

So the guy could have contacted me through Elance or Facebook, but didn't. Somehow picked me out of anyone that came up, must have found my resume online (I'm guessing Linked In since that's the first thing that comes up when I type in my name) and then sees where I am presently employed and looks up that number and calls there. I see this as very unprofessional! You don't call someone at their full time job to see if they can do side work for you! Thank goodness the number he called was automated and gives you a list of employees and their extension rather than him talking to the receptionist!

Should I do work for this guy? He asked me to call him and go over what's entailed, but it is so straight forward that I don't need to talk to him. I told him I can go ahead and do this but if he wants to EMAIL me more specifics he can. He said he would and sent me a contract to sign. I signed the contract and sent it back, but it has been over a week now and he hasn't sent me any specifics. I'm almost tempted to email him and tell him I can't do it just because of the odd way he went about the whole thing.

amaysngrace

I sure hope there isn't a moonlighting provision as a term of your employment.

It sounds like a set up.

• Like 1
  • Author
I sure hope there isn't a moonlighting provision as a term of your employment.

It sounds like a set up.

There are others here who have their own freelancing going on as well. It's no secret. It wasn't a set up of any kind!

Also, upon Googling his name I see he is a retired lawyer so he must be on the up and up, but still!

Edited by Mapper71
There are others here who have their own freelancing going on as well. It's no secret. It wasn't a set up of any kind!

Also, upon Googling his name I see he is a retired lawyer so he must be on the up and up, but still!

Hi Mapper, I am looking into getting into freelance full time eventually as well. Maybe you can PM me sometime with some tips on getting started. I also use Elance and LinkedIn. Anyways, funny you mention your story, because I applied to this job last week, not realizing it was in the VERY SAME OFFICE BUILDING OF WHERE I WORK NOW! Anyways, the guy didn't email me either...he randomly walked into my office and handed me his business card. I was startled myself, because I don't have random people come into my office looking for me ever. After he walked out, it dawned on me that it was the job I applied to! My boss didn't question it nor did he mind as he knows I am looking for a second job. Not only that, when I went to interview with the guy after work, he mentioned that he called my office and my boss answered!!! That is because our work phone is linked to my boss's cell phone. He said he wasn't expecting my boss to answer and he didn't want to hang up on him and be rude. He had asked for me and my boss had asked who was calling and why. He couldn't help but admit it was about a job. It's not a big deal that it happened as my bosses are fine with me looking for a second job...but in most circumstances I DO NOT want potential employers talking with my current employer or having them know I'm looking to move on. He said I have a right to privacy when searching for work...but if that is the case, why did he walk into my office and call my office phone?! He did try my cell first and I didn't answer of course, because I was at work, but I did think it was inappropriate of him to contact me at my current workplace. I agree with you that it is unprofessional.

• Author
Hi Mapper, I am looking into getting into freelance full time eventually as well. Maybe you can PM me sometime with some tips on getting started. I also use Elance and LinkedIn. Anyways, funny you mention your story, because I applied to this job last week, not realizing it was in the VERY SAME OFFICE BUILDING OF WHERE I WORK NOW! Anyways, the guy didn't email me either...he randomly walked into my office and handed me his business card. I was startled myself, because I don't have random people come into my office looking for me ever. After he walked out, it dawned on me that it was the job I applied to! My boss didn't question it nor did he mind as he knows I am looking for a second job. Not only that, when I went to interview with the guy after work, he mentioned that he called my office and my boss answered!!! That is because our work phone is linked to my boss's cell phone. He said he wasn't expecting my boss to answer and he didn't want to hang up on him and be rude. He had asked for me and my boss had asked who was calling and why. He couldn't help but admit it was about a job. It's not a big deal that it happened as my bosses are fine with me looking for a second job...but in most circumstances I DO NOT want potential employers talking with my current employer or having them know I'm looking to move on. He said I have a right to privacy when searching for work...but if that is the case, why did he walk into my office and call my office phone?! He did try my cell first and I didn't answer of course, because I was at work, but I did think it was inappropriate of him to contact me at my current workplace. I agree with you that it is unprofessional.

I'm glad you agree with me that it is an unconventional and unprofessional way to contact about freelance work. I mean it's something that will take me 2 hours to do so it's not a big deal but why would you go through such extensive research to find where I work and call me there? To me it's just kind of creepy.

As far as getting started as a freelancer, for me it was pretty easy and fell into my lap. I moved out of state about 5 years ago and at that time the employer I was working for had a client who contacted me (with my work's blessing) and asked if I'd like to work on a year-long project for them. I didn't know what I would do for a job where I was moving so there it was! I then also did work remotely for my previous company and through them I got other clients I had worked for calling me to do work. Then they passed my name onto others and I got a pretty good client base. Elance has been good for me too. I don't do much with that anymore since I have a full time job but occasional jobs do crop up. In the 5 years I've been on Elance I've probably made around $5000. I also have just emailed companies I thought could use my help. Once in a while you'll get a bite!