Probation reflections

I've summed up my issues so far with the firm I've worked at for the past month. There's been no significant problems I've encountered or created. I've just noticed that socializing with people in the firm makes up 60% of the work done, and 40% is actual productivity. Because of this aspect, I've had to juggle connecting with people in order to get things done. I see myself talking about myself sometimes, and not asking about the other person-- I have to constantly remind myself that I'm trying to find out more about the firm and its people... and not to sound narcissistic by talking about myself.

PART I:

So I've been working at my firm for a month. There's this girl who I have somewhat of a crush on, all in good fun and not something I'd really lose sleep over.

She has been known to be quiet and aloof, at the same position level as I am. However, I feel she tends to stick with another girl at work who's much more confident, accepted and well connected.

Last detail I heard about her was indirectly after a night of drinking, with some coworkers of mine before I got dropped off. I overheard that she tended to keep her personal and work separate. However, one of the remarks made by one of coworkers in the car was also teased at the pub where we spent the late night drinking and talking.

I don't talk to her much at work, because we are separated by a floor. If I need any help, I ask my senior/supe or other people. The last times I've asked her for help, I've appreciated her coming to my rescue but it required me asking another senior to straighten it out because she didn't know why the problem wasn't fixed. I did mention that she had a cute accent, but she said she didn't have one since she was native-born (I think I may have lost points in this respect).

I've observed during lunch time that she is might like another guy who's got a similar background as I do, but he has been with the firm longer and more successful in terms of having worked at the firm longer, has a girlfriend, and on his way to passing his licensing exams. I get the feeling he is trying to reciprocate these feelings by going out of his way to sound like a good guy, but he is actually in fact very selfish and very two-sided. The times I ask him for help, he seems very occupied and ready to leave. The only reason why he even comes upstairs to help (our building is on two floors) is because he treats it as an opportunity for a social call with the other people on my floor.

There's a boss who is also quiet and aloof, a son to the top dog boss, that I haven't connected well yet. Given the opportunities, and how he gets along with some of my peers at work and other more senior people, the responses I get from him are very neutral and die off because he only responses that are like "Good. OK. Great." I can't get a read on him, and I have an even harder time with him than with the girl I mentioned above.

Part II:

I was really quiet the entire night, partly because I was tired and drunk on a Friday night. My boss (who drank with us) called me out on it, but I really couldn't stay away from the alcohol. If this is a norm with the company, I feel it is an extension of work, while keeping in constant reminder that I have to be very careful with gossip. The only shots I take (pun not intended) on people are only on myself, but I try to keep quiet and listen because:

1) I am too new to the firm, my views carry very little weight.

2) Even if I were to voice views, it would only be to agree with the people I am hanging out with at that very moment.

3) Seniority and long-term strategy with who I side with matters, and keeping down low to learn bits of information is invaluable, even if it is based on THEIR opinion, there is always some truth to it.

4) There are already established roles in the group that make me wonder where I fit in. One of the guys is a jokester for instance, and I think of him as almost a buddy/mentor-type, who I go to for help, and key to the company because of his role and personality. I've opened up to him about not fitting in, and he had tried to include me in some conversations last night. I have myself to blame for not catching on, and seeming cool.

Ultimately, it can get very tiring when I give it my all right now working on the three months of probation. I get the feeling that the boss that comes with us with social sport events that we play as a firm and also other social functions like going out drinking might affect how my peers perceive me (more negatively) and especially by my boss who is in charge of morale in the firm. I feel burned out by the end of these days sometimes. Last night was an absolute example (drinking until 2am and my eyes watering the entire night while trying to keep them open). The only reason why I drank was because of social pressure, and to help me loosen up a bit to socialize.

I've noticed it does helps me giggle a bit more, but staying in full control before my alcohol limit constantly prevents me from coming out of my shell.

PART III

Considering that we are at a small firm, we have the jock and sexism and racism can run rampant albeit as humour for teasing each other. I go with the flow and sometimes behave to get their acceptance with these sexist and racists jokes (jokes on myself), but I personally feel uncomfortable when I do it because it is fundamentally wrong and I feel like it makes the women comfortable working at the firm. In short, it's like a old boy's club. Homosexuality is not accepted, marriage is favoured and appraised...

Edited by jonsnuh
  • Author

Any tips on getting past probation? Everyone seems to know each other really well and it's difficult getting to know everyone to the personal level everyone seems to have in the firm.

Or should I say screw it all and just focus on my work?

If 60% is socialization, then just focusing on your work may be clashing with the organization's culture. Lone wolf viewed suspiciously. Building trust and work relationships is critical in the probationary period in most organizations. Sounds especially important in yours. Otherwise they can usually terminate without cause if it's not the right fit.

During the probationary period: No romantic relationships or encounters with anyone in the organization or over drinking while with your team. Compliment others freely without being a brown nose. What works is talking great things to co-workers about another employee's work when that person isn't around. It will usually get back to them and raise that person's opinion of you.

Also do little unexpected things without boasting. Like, there is usually dirty dishes in the staff lunch break room. Everyone is supposed to wash their own, but not always does. They pile up. Stick around after most everyone has gone home in order to wash them. A co-worker may pass by and see it. Good karma comes back to you. Another thing: if you have low paid assistant staff, treat them like kings and queens. Same thing with the secretarial staff. Their opinion can influence the boss. If someone has a stressful job then secretly put a fun size bag of their favorite candy on their desk on occasion.

Even if no one gives you any credit at all, these little acts of kindness will help you feel more confident, comfortable, and happy in your new position.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Author

So I've been trying to engage in talking with my co-workers more, especially during lunch when we assemble. It's like one big family.

It seems like I've eased up with the coworker who was cold and distant originally. It turns out that we didn't really get to know each other very well, and she warmed up when I came off as being a nice and decent guy.

On the other hand, there's this guy who's a jerk. Not only is he known as being selfish among our coworkers, he blatantly became excluding in conversations and with stuff beyond work. Doing his licensing exams apparently meant he had a temp license to be a jerk.

It's really a bit of both. I need to be able to minimize the amount of time-cost that I charge so the firm is profitable. This is a metric that they use for performance evaluations. This is a tradeoff with the time I get to spend socializing with everyone in the firm. On the other hand, I learned that I need to make specific people happy. The big boss, the HR, and the 'morale' partner are crucial individuals who have heft... but at the same time I have to get along with our managers and 3 other bosses that I haven't had much more contact and opportunity to socialize with. I take this as a training ground with real client, to demonstrate that I am tactful with my time by being efficient and effective with my work, while being skillful with the social lubricant on a personal level (that clients like and gets ramped up at the partners' level to something we call golfing or spending the weekend at their cottage).

One thing I've recently started doing is greeting everyone who walks through our door upstairs. I'm no receptionist by any means by position and where it is, but where I sit tends to mean that I get to see everyone at least once. Plus, it's a great way to market myself it seems.

• Author
Sounds especially important in yours. Otherwise they can usually terminate without cause if it's not the right fit.

This is a very good point that I've taken to heart and has kept me on my toes. I know I'm not very sociable, but I have taken many steps to improve my game.

During the probationary period: No romantic relationships or encounters with anyone in the organization or over drinking while with your team. Compliment others freely without being a brown nose. What works is talking great things to co-workers about another employee's work when that person isn't around. It will usually get back to them and raise that person's opinion of you.

There have been many encounters with coworkers who have gossiped and smeared another coworker's reputation when they weren't looking. I've just smiled and not said anything to reflect any opinion, except to say that I've only seen that person doing a good job and things. There's a snake in our office who spews this sort of bile, and it puts us in an awkward position to continue the conversation.

Also do little unexpected things without boasting. Like, there is usually dirty dishes in the staff lunch break room. Everyone is supposed to wash their own, but not always does. They pile up. Stick around after most everyone has gone home in order to wash them. A co-worker may pass by and see it. Good karma comes back to you.

We had something like this happen. It caught on that I was doing dishes for the various birthdays that had come up, and it even gave me a chance to talk to my manager who insisted that she wanted to wash the dishes when I had offered to.

Another thing: if you have low paid assistant staff, treat them like kings and queens. Same thing with the secretarial staff. Their opinion can influence the boss. If someone has a stressful job then secretly put a fun size bag of their favorite candy on their desk on occasion.

What do you mean by treating them as kings and queens? Do I need to start talking to them more, offering to help, and give them candies and treats? The issue is that sometimes the bosses come by and notice that I am not at my desk working, and get the idea that I am slacking. I've made good rapport so far with the admin manager, and I've offered to help her whenever she needed me.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Author

So it's about less than a month left into probation:

I've noticed my boss doesn't respect me because of my junior position. I did screw up an assignment of his, but part of it was due to adjustment to the workplace.

Now he has assigned me to a senior who not only does not care about me succeeding, but has blatantly avoided helping me when I ask, which goes against what my boss had intended in the first place. He has been very difficult to work with, and I'm wondering if I should mention this to my boss who is very enamored by him given he has been with the company for a long time and worked with my boss.

This senior is a pretty **** character in the workplace too. Misogynistic, racist, and the biggest jock who thinks he is the big man on campus. Simply put, a dick. I've had to tolerate him, and similarly by my co-workers.

Ugh. I feel like quitting. I really do. Currently throwing a draft of my resignation letter to hand in on Monday.

I feel like exploding already.

Edited by jonsnuh
  • 1 month later...
  • Author

It's been a while since I last updated this page, and some serious things have changed since then:

Facts:

My probation was extended for another two months from September because my employers thought I wasn't communicating (which was the contrary as I had expressed very kindly to them, but it seemed like my bosses had made up their mind without taking a rounded picture). When I asked for specific incidents when this was the case, and steps to improve, they gave very vague answers, or feedback that had very little to do with communicating. In fact, my managers had bosses who expected me to report to them (which in a sense actually undermines the manager position).

Two new hires started about the same time as my probation was winding down one to two weeks before I found out it was renewed. Since then, I've been working with minimal supervision, and "communicating" more with my bosses about my work by keeping them up to date with my work and getting to know more about each client before and throughout the case.

A co-worker with the firm for two years was fired as soon as he had finished his licensing exams, and on the same day my probation was extended. Whether he was actually let go/fired/resigned is indeterminable given the responses from everyone in the firm. Not great for morale, and him leaving seemed too coincidental, as if I am replacing him only to be replaced by the two new hires... or that I was never expected to be with the firm for more than three months since they needed someone with the firm.

Opinions/Potential paranoia:

It seems like they hired new people to take over responsibilities that others had and to keep me doing low importance jobs... cases have little career progression value.

It's not as if I haven't asked. I've asked my bosses and I've shown I can do things independently. The funny thing is, I wonder if it's because I'm TOO good at what I do, so that I've been shoveled into this position that the new hires have the support from everyone else for THEIR probation. This has left me worst off, because: the work burden (time and stressing about spending time doing and thinking on my own) has increased while the new hires have the support they need from everyone else.

I hardly think it's a coincidence that my probation's extension had nothing to do with the fact that they are probably comparing me with the new hires. I feel that if I stumble with my performance to less than that of the two new hires, I might be shown the door. Furthermore, the desk that I was placed in keeps me separated from the rest of the staff and my bosses, which allows me to be "more productive" as my employers say but also keeps me well away from socializing and asking for help without having to get out of my desk (which has increasingly seemed more and more looked down every time I get a read on their faces).

I'm midway in my probation extension, and I'm thinking about talking to my bosses (especially the HR head) to review how I'm doing, ideas for improvement, and ask why they hired me. I had spoken with a more junior boss and he told me that I shouldn't worry about the new hires. Even if this was true to the extent that it shouldn't negatively impact my work, their hiring and distribution of resources/opportunities at least indirectly impacts me.

I feel that since I can do the work alone, I'm not being compared similarly with the new hires if the hunches I have above ring true. I'm not sure what I should do at this point, and it's as if they're indifferent with me leaving or not. I'm going to resume looking for jobs in the meanwhile, and less on time spent with the firm. I know this is a slippery slope, but I doubt I will ever gain the respect of the firm because of the preconceived and reservations on me.

• Like 1

Probation being renewed? I honestly think you should look for other work. This sounds really unstable. When I've worked at companies, you were either in or out at the probation mark. No extensions. 2-3 months is sufficient time to know whether or not someone is working out or not. Unless otherwise agreed, such as government jobs which tend to have a year of probation as their standard, there shouldn't be any need for this BS.

• Author
Probation being renewed? I honestly think you should look for other work. This sounds really unstable. When I've worked at companies, you were either in or out at the probation mark. No extensions. 2-3 months is sufficient time to know whether or not someone is working out or not. Unless otherwise agreed, such as government jobs which tend to have a year of probation as their standard, there shouldn't be any need for this BS.

If only I had realized this sooner. I'm going to apply for firms in the meanwhile. It's really sad that I actually believed in the firm and its people when they said I needed to look for the long term, when the last guy who was laid off was with the firm for two years.

• Like 1
If only I had realized this sooner. I'm going to apply for firms in the meanwhile. It's really sad that I actually believed in the firm and its people when they said I needed to look for the long term, when the last guy who was laid off was with the firm for two years.

Recent layoffs are also a bad sign. When job hunting, pay particular attention to turnover. Ask if there have been any layoffs in the past 2 years and what happened to the person previously in the position.