LoveShack.org Community Forums

Reload this Page LoveShack.org Community Forums > Platonic > Business and Professional Relationships

Opportunities that have arisen in ONE DAY'S worth of job searching. Impressed.

Business and Professional Relationships Networking and maintaining a positive environment in the work place is important! Surviving the 9-to-5 within.

Like Tree123Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 7th July 2014, 9:21 AM   #16
Established Member

I am also applying for cleaning jobs as I was a personal trainer until 2010 and am physically fit and healthy.

I would prefer a physical job to burn calories. Some companies don't need prior cleaning experience but do need the usual references.

I was paid to clean one families house when I was their nanny last year. I left that job as they only pad me 7 dollars an hour and minimum wage for casual is about 18 here so....
Old 7th July 2014, 10:07 AM   #17
Established Member

I am also applying for paid traineeships that are part time only. You get paid to get a skill.

My degree is Community Development. The key being I want to help people in the community, be it the homeless, aged, youth or disabled.

So far I only volunteer for one disadvantaged child by simply reading with him and striving to improve his reading skills.

Although I am about to begin phone crisis counselling.

So I figured, older Australians and providing them with care and making their days better also fits in nicely to my college degree so when I degree I can say I have had experience with an array of community groups.

This is prob the one thing I want more than other jobs since it is a paid traineeship that also pertains to my college degree.

My degree offers for you to do 1, 2 3 or 4 subjects. I could always do 3 subjects to lighten my load and once the traineeship is over, IF I get accepted, I could go back to full time study.

Fingers crossed I am looking so hard for work, any work.

My dad is an aged carer and knows what it is all about so I am well aware it is very demanding.

several friends and family members including my own parents urged me to try out for the industry of aged care because my personality would suit the job supposedly.

Within the span of this month or two at best I have a really good feeling I will have a job by then.

Please wish me luck I really need it.
Old 7th July 2014, 10:14 AM   #18
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leigh 87 View Post
Furthermore, I start full time University, purely online, come September..I have de enrolled in the current face to face degree, and I found out that, thankfully, my high marks I received as my college entrance score will always be valid to the universities. I didn't need marks to get into the current degree since it is only an online bachelor. Alone it wont get me a job easily but with volunteer work with the phone crisis counselling, suicide prevention hotline plus the fact I started work at age 16 at McDonald's, and I have a few work based references, will likely land me a professional albeit low paid job.
I tend to think you should try to focus on jobs or opportunities that will help you get a full-time job once you get your degree, especially since you are doing your degree online rather than in person. The paid traineeship sounds good.
Old 7th July 2014, 10:43 AM   #19
Established Member

Go back to personal training? Option?
Old 7th July 2014, 11:08 AM   #20
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haydn View Post
Go back to personal training? Option?
Not the best option for a former anorexic who doesn't want anything to do with analysing food or fitness.

Can't stand the industry anyway. They charge you rent for their gyms these days before you earn enough to even cover the rent. The leading gym here even charges trainees one thousand for the privilege or working in their space. It's a crappy industry.
Old 7th July 2014, 11:09 AM   #21
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by clia View Post
I tend to think you should try to focus on jobs or opportunities that will help you get a full-time job once you get your degree, especially since you are doing your degree online rather than in person. The paid traineeship sounds good.
This is the one thing I have my heart set on. The paid traineeship. In an area that'll definately get me full time professional work pertaining to my actual degree.

I'll look for more such traineeships. I applied for two today.

Exhausted from looking for work all day.
Old 7th July 2014, 3:12 PM   #22
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conners View Post
I'm a bit confused, what exactly is your question?
Was about to ask the same, .

Anyways, OP, you need to look at your long term goals and take a position that will help get you to where you want to be. To answer your question, it is VERY VERY important to try and get experience before graduating with your degree. You will be a lot more marketable and not lumped in with the rest of the grads with minimal experience. So far, sales, hospitality and retail mean you are experienced in customer service. So you can sell yourself in that area. It doesn't matter if you worked at a grocer or coffee shop...it's all customer service. Hope that answers your question.
Old 7th July 2014, 3:16 PM   #23
Established Member

I would simply warn you to be careful of #1. That 'proper salary' is surely commissioned. If it wasn't, everyone would do it without regards to results.

"
It is customer service/sales jobwhich may be crappy but at least it is a proper salary unlike the bellow minimum wage jobs that try to exploit you."
Old 7th July 2014, 3:29 PM   #24
Established Member

Quote:
I am equally as lucky in life as you are and I am the OPPOSIT of hard done by, but I have a huge complex where I feel so alien compared to much younger adults such as you.

You just go and get jobs and get a lot of hours without seemingly having to look hard. You just get a job and work.

Where as I was mentally AND physically ill for years in my late teens and early 20's I feel like I lack the experience to just go and be able to do a job right away upon starting it.

I just wish to be normal, go get a job and work hard at it so I have savings during university and a good reference or two plus experience in the workforce.

I have had jobs on and off during my ill years but very minimal experience in each field...

It seems so easy for people like you to just "get a job".
My husband got a late start experience wise as well...however he did not interview well, so it was even more of an issue. However, if you interview well, you have a huge advantage over other people who don't. So do your best to be positive. When you find something try and do it long term to show stability.
Old 7th July 2014, 6:06 PM   #25
Established Member

Why did you de enrol from your face to face course?

I think you need to be more focused rather than your mind racing million miles a minute. You may actually be doing yourself a favor if you did LESS job search and waited for an opportunity that will help you in your chosen career. It seems like pretty much all of these ideas fall through without ever even happening. I thought you are going to walk dogs at an animal shelter?
Old 7th July 2014, 6:16 PM   #26
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidwestUSA View Post
I would simply warn you to be careful of #1. That 'proper salary' is surely commissioned. If it wasn't, everyone would do it without regards to results.

"
It is customer service/sales jobwhich may be crappy but at least it is a proper salary unlike the bellow minimum wage jobs that try to exploit you."
On way to this interview now..

It's a job right in the middle of CBD.

I may not like the job description at all.

I've researched the company on its website as you are all aware is important for an interview m

Fingers crossed it is actually a good sounding job that will accept me.

My heart is more set on the aged care paid training course since it's actually relevant to my bachelors degree.
Old 7th July 2014, 6:50 PM   #27
Established Member

Just then on the train I got contacted by a travel company.

Apparantly I've been short listed. Probably because I've travelled a fair amount and I did a short travel retail course. I'm familiar with the systems travel consultants use to book flights and I did the basic math requirer to calculate the cost of packages.

She said she would get back to my shortly. They don't always get back to you though if they go ahead and interview better candidates.
Old 7th July 2014, 7:27 PM   #28
Established Member

arisEn....

Cmon...don't let us down now...

TFY
ASG likes this.
Old 7th July 2014, 9:38 PM   #29
Established Member

Well there were hundreds of applicants all in suits for the sales and marketing job.

They are interviewing 300 applicants.

People interviewed largely had degrees and experience but my interviewer said she only cares about the personality, as the right personality and work ethic are all that are needed supposedly.

I am a bit quiet and reserved. I had an interview with an Irish woman who was really nice. We both got interviews at once.

I wasn't nervous. I either sell myself well or I don't. I find some days I do others I don't. Some interviews I have gotten through, others I haven't.

I don't think I'll get a call back as I don't think I sold myself enough. I mentioned that what dreamed in to applying was the fact that it's a relatively new company that seems so have come far in a short time span. That I really just like customer service and interacting with people.

I mentioned that my former employees said I was a bit different in a way that got them to take notice and hire me.

I don't feel it was my day today but I wasn't atrocious either.

They are narrowing it down to 50 people today. I will get a call by 3 pm of my interview was successful.

Last edited by Leigh 87; 7th July 2014 at 9:40 PM..
Old 7th July 2014, 10:41 PM   #30
Established Member

Quote:
I am equally as lucky in life as you are and I am the OPPOSIT of hard done by, but I have a huge complex where I feel so alien compared to much younger adults such as you.

You just go and get jobs and get a lot of hours without seemingly having to look hard. You just get a job and work.

Where as I was mentally AND physically ill for years in my late teens and early 20's I feel like I lack the experience to just go and be able to do a job right away upon starting it.

I just wish to be normal, go get a job and work hard at it so I have savings during university and a good reference or two plus experience in the workforce.

I have had jobs on and off during my ill years but very minimal experience in each field...

It seems so easy for people like you to just "get a job".
One of the jobs I have at the moment is only because I know the manager of the store. It's all about who you know half the time. It's not easy to get a job especially a part time or casual job, especially when you're studying. Just a tip, DO NOT TELL POTENTIAL EMPLOYERS THAT YOU PLAN TO STUDY it puts them off as they know that you wont stay forever and your schedule is likely to change.

Also stop thinking you're not normal, you are doing fine. You've had work experience and you are working towards a goal. There are a lot of drop kicks out there who haven't worked a day in their life or people who are happy working at kmart for the rest of their lives.

Another note, I'm in Western Australia and it's the most growing state at the moment. The job market is huge at the moment, much easier to get a job than Sydney apparently.