How much notice should an employee give?

Update.

So I looked online and the minimum going rate for a live in au pair is 250 ish a week. Plus room and board and meals.

I'm getting 150.

I rang a professional nanny agency and the lady said she was disgusted and alarmed that I was getting literally half of what other nannys get.

It is my fault for jumping into this position without much research. But in the end, thus lady is a crappy person and a cheapskate for having money then choosing to pay half of the usual going rate.

I have quit but I now have experience and I can now join propper agencies. I think if I apply to a few agencies then I have a good shot at getting live out part time nanny work. The going rate is 20 dollars an hour which is the minumum casual work rate.

I think I have a real chance of now getting casual or part time nanny work during college.

I also have event work experience and I can join very event work company I know..my friend has and she said she will give me all the information I need to get more event work.

I also have minumum waiteessing experience of two years in hospitality and retail combined. I am sure if I look for hundreds of jobs a week in Sydney I'd get something.

Lastly, the patisserie that laid off and stopped giving shifts to most of its staff due to bad profit, has agreed to give me a good reference so I can get a job at another of their patisseries.

I am not sure why people with money opt to pay their full time carer of their children drastically less than the minimum wage. I just dont get it.

How much notice does she deserve? I have told her to start actively looking for another. I told her that I dont want to leave her in a bas position but I also don't want to stay for long.

• Author

My dad is ill and needs to get checked out in hospital as he strongly suspects he needs another heart bipass. But he is putting it off due to me being here and not having time off to support him at the hospital.. He has to wait for mum to get home to Australia as she lives in Hong Kong.

I start.study september and if I were to stay here I would have to pay for internet usage here, like 50 a week when I get it free at home and she is underpaying me by 50% or more as it stands.....

If reputation and references don't matter, just quit. People do it all the time. Do what you need to do. You have expenses and your time and skills are worth a prevailing wage.

In our industry, people simply don't show up and we often find out later they're working for a competitor. The only notice which often comes is when they're loading their tools up in their vehicle. However, we don't have collective bargaining or employment contracts for rank-and-file so YMMV.

• Author

Well on a personal level, I owe her nothing. She's not a nice person and both her and her husband are too tight arse to pay the going rate. They pay HALF.

I work eight hours a day and get 150 a week. I eat less than 50 dollars a weeks worth of food. A single room costs about 150 to 200 a week in Sydney.

I get about 3 to 5 dollars an hours worth. My dad calculated it.

The nanny agency that said they would take me on if I sent them a cv and paid for my own working with children check were appalled at my low wage.

An actual nanny agency said I was getting less than half of minumum wage worth.

pink_sugar

You get free food, room and board plus $600 a month in spending money. I don't think that's horrible. If you're not happy though, find another position and give sufficient notice. Don't quit before you have something lined up.

• Like 3
  • Author

I wont up and leave but I won't stick around much longer either.

There is a preparation unit for my degree I start soon..just a prep course u badly need to do in order to excel at my studies come September.

I am not impressed with having to fork out money for internet usage when she already pays me half of the Aussie minumum wage and half the going rate of other au pairs.

And her children are a nuisance. Her toddler throws a tantrum every single time I go to take off his pyjamas. I am good with most toddlers and none of the other ones threw tantrums over me undressing then.

This woman actually thinks her toddler is one off the good ones.

Anyway I want to get out and start my college prep work but I feel like she needs me to stay until she finds a new nanny.

September is the very very latest I can stay until.

My parents want me back asap. Dad is very Ill and needs looking after and mum gets back this month and wants to see me. I am her only child and she lives overseas and only comes home twice a year.

I want out now. But I also want to do the right thing and not just up and leave.

She thinks I am.staying units she finds a new nanny but end of week I will ask her how her job search is going and how long she thinks it'll take. I'll then give her my deadline.

If she doesn't like it she can go jump. My dad's health and my studies are way more import than her.

• Author
You get free food, room and board plus $600 a month in spending money. I don't think that's horrible. If you're not happy though, find another position and give sufficient notice. Don't quit before you have something lined up.

You're American.

In Australia, most live in nannys get 250 a week us free food and board.

I rang a professional agency and they said I was getting less than half the Aussie minumum wage.

Sorry but I deserve the Aussie minumum wage. I am not dedtirute or an undesirable character so I'm not sure why you thinks it's reasonable of my employer to pay me less than half of what other nannys get and less than half minimum wage.

A professional agency that advertise their nannys for a living told me she is giving me half th e minumum wage.

My dad also calculate it.

• Like 1
MidwestUSA
If reputation and references don't matter, just quit.

^^^^^

It might be a temporary inconvenience to her, but a favor in the long run. You don't need to spend another minute in her house.

• Author
^^^^^

It might be a temporary inconvenience to her, but a favor in the long run. You don't need to spend another minute in her house.

I don't need her as a reference.

I have another lady who agreed to do it.

I have a reference from my event work.

I have a reference from the patisserie because I was such a positive and good sport about getting essentially laid off and I still travelled four hours and knowing I was going to be paid off alone with the other staff members.

I think I'll find casual work living at home given I have four references in total now and for different areas of work.

I see a few issues with your arguments here Leigh..

The professional au-pair agency informed you that you were being paid less than the staff they place in homes, correct? The thing you're overlooking here is that they're likely experienced in what they do. Have some form of childcare degree. They're not just someone who claims to be good with children (I'm not saying you are lying, just that none of us have any 'proof') and says they can do the job. Experience gets you paid more, fact. They took a gamble on you hiring you without any qualifications. Did you undertake a working with children check and obtain a police clearance at your own cost prior to commencing work with them?

As for not needing a reference from this current employer- I'd think twice about that if you want to claim you're experienced. Nobody will believe you on your word alone. At least not those willing to pay you more.

You initially say your father calculated the hourly figure, then you tell us it's come from the professional agency? It's inconsistencies like this that make people doubt your stories Leigh.

It's time to take some responsibility for your life. But perhaps do it slowly, rather than go hell for leather into a billion different ventures that never turn out.

Learn your lessons.

Edited by a LoveShack.org Moderator
  • Like 7

Oh, and as for notice periods..

4 weeks is standard politeness, and the most you would need.

However, if you're not too fussed on maintaining the relationship, it's usually just a pay periods notice.

• Author
What reason did you give to your boss for quitting? What did she say when you told her you felt you weren't being paid fairly? Did you show her the information you found about the going rates for live in nannies?

I told her that I have full time study coming up and I don't want to work full time during it.

Also my father is ill and I explained to her today that if he ends up in hospital before my mother comes down then I will be in the first taxi to the hospital and I will put my family ahead of my job.

I also don't appreciate her toddler kicking my cat. If he does it again in front of me he will get yelled at by me.

Why Are People So Abusive Here? [update]

Posting to engage rather than preach

Our head moderator, Tony, often tells us that threads go off-topic, generally, after the fifth or sixth post. He would know since he's been managing this place for over 14 years. In this thread, not only did it go off-topic but completely sideways into inflammatory mud-slinging for over 100 posts before I killed it. A few people were moderated but fortunately, for you all, no one was banned permanently. We're doing that more now, banning, so I'd strongly suggest reading posts before hitting the 'submit' button.

I had thought of re-opening this after cleaning it up but the words of our head moderator rang in my ears - 'If it deserved to be closed, it should probably stay closed', so closed it is. Starting a similar thread will find the thread starter banned. Thanks and good evening.

Edited by William
Finished cleanup.
  • Like 1