shady answer about rehire eligibility

So for the hell of it after being prompted by a thread in this section, I decided to contact a previous employer about my rehire eligibility since I was given no reason whatsoever for being let go 6 months ago. Anyways, the HR generalist got back to me and said she couldn't answer my question because they had no open opportunities. Does this sound odd? I mean, it certainly struck me as strange as the HR person should know whether or not a past employee is eligible for rehire regardless of open positions.

• Author
Yep - sounds fishy to me...

Yep, given this and a few other things, I am not surprised as this company seems to be shady about things in general. I remember on my last day asking for tips on improvement and she couldn't give me an honest answer as she herself said she had no cclue why I was being let go. Not that I'd ever go back there, but it would be nice to know for my own reference.

You could do what I've done, I pretended to be an employer for another company, don't even have to give a company name, and just say you are reviewing the work history of someone applying. Just ask their time of employment, position held, and if the company would rehire them. I've always gotten a simple yes or no on the re-hire.

A lot of companies are extremely careful on how they let go of employees and what they say, due to how easy it is to be sued for some kind of "wrongful" termination. In all likeliness, I would take a no response to be seen as a would not re-hire.

That or the HR lady is just bad at her job, which happens a lot.

• Like 1
  • Author
You could do what I've done, I pretended to be an employer for another company, don't even have to give a company name, and just say you are reviewing the work history of someone applying. Just ask their time of employment, position held, and if the company would rehire them. I've always gotten a simple yes or no on the re-hire.

A lot of companies are extremely careful on how they let go of employees and what they say, due to how easy it is to be sued for some kind of "wrongful" termination. In all likeliness, I would take a no response to be seen as a would not re-hire.

That or the HR lady is just bad at her job, which happens a lot.

I'll definitely have to try this. Do you have any pointers on how to word the questions?

To me, this sounds like they weren't happy with your performance and they're being shady about it to avoid confrontation.

This is why you were never told the reason why you were being let go and instead they sent the HR person who was conveniently ignorant.

I'll definitely have to try this. Do you have any pointers on how to word the questions?

Typically when I call, I'll first ask for HR, I'll get directed and than it goes something like this:

"Hello, my name is Mr. xxxxxx. I'm calling in regards to Joe, who is applying for a position in my company, and I am currently reviewing in work history reference."

Typically here they will go oh sure, or how can I help you with that, than I will ask

"Firstly I wanted to verify Joe's length of employment. According to his resume is is from xx date to yy date, is that correct?"

Checks

"Great, in his resume he states he held position X, is that correct?

Checks

"Perfect. Lastly, I wanted to know if Joe were to apply for your company, would you rehire him"

Typically I will get a simple yes or no answer. Sometimes they might have a note on my record, where it may said I left on good terms, gave 2 weeks notice, etc.

• Like 1
  • Author
To me, this sounds like they weren't happy with your performance and they're being shady about it to avoid confrontation.

This is why you were never told the reason why you were being let go and instead they sent the HR person who was conveniently ignorant.

Well, when I left they gave me the usual letter that they took the following factors into consideration "performance, needs of the company and overall suitability with the company". They let me go on the very last day of my 90 days. As someone mentioned in another thread, why wait until the very last day to let someone go? I got a letter in the mail a few weeks later that they exited bankruptcy the same day I was let go. Anyways, regardless, if they said they decided it wasn't a fit or they were having financial issues that would've been fine. I think it is important to at least let the person know whether or not they can be rehired. A simple yes or no would suffice. I also recently found out they never filled that position after I left, so I think they were just making efforts to reduce personnel.

I think it is important to at least let the person know whether or not they can be rehired. A simple yes or no would suffice. I also recently found out they never filled that position after I left, so I think they were just making efforts to reduce personnel.

I think you need to let this go. Why go over old ground? It's irrelevant since they will not re-employ you. Would you want to work in an environment you had been fired from before? There could be a number of reasons, 90 days of employment are nothing. No employer will have serious records on someone that had only worked there for 3 months. They simply won't/don't care. Just forget it and move on.

• Like 4
  • Author
I think you need to let this go. Why go over old ground? It's irrelevant since they will not re-employ you. Would you want to work in an environment you had been fired from before? There could be a number of reasons, 90 days of employment are nothing. No employer will have serious records on someone that had only worked there for 3 months. They simply won't/don't care. Just forget it and move on.

I just wanted some closure. I don't plan to work there again, but some employment applications want to know if you know whether or not the company would rehire you. Hard to do when you have absolutely no idea why you were let go and whether or not you left on bad or good terms.

I just wanted some closure. I don't plan to work there again, but some employment applications want to know if you know whether or not the company would rehire you. Hard to do when you have absolutely no idea why you were let go and whether or not you left on bad or good terms.

Closure comes from within pink sugar, you know that.

Would you ever put 'no' on a form when they ask that question? Even if you knew that they wouldn't rehire you?

some employment applications want to know if you know whether or not the company would rehire you

I've never actually seen that, but if I did, I would feel confident checking "Yes" unless I had positive evidence they would not.

• Like 3