Im involved in drama in my role. Worth fighting?

Three months ago or so my employer told me they could not renew my contract which expires in just two months after I repeatedly enquired about my future (I had enquired initially 9 months ago as I was concerned). I live abroad and have lived here for 6 years, but they didnt feel they could fit the visa requirements (i.e. allocate HR time to filing the application, provide a 2 year contract, they were considering restructuring)

I was shocked. I had been promised permanent residency but due to staff changes the new management didnt back me. My performance had been good and I had earned the praise of the Board of Directors. I wasnt angry about the decision , I have a lot of love for the organisation still, I was angry at the lack of warning, if I had had more time I could have secured another role and carried on living here as I consider it my home. Sadly the jobs market is not what it was and I have struggled to find another sponsor. I will lose my friends, my closest living relative (sister) as well as my life which took me a long time to build through struggle and hard work.

I work for a charity and recently secured 4.5 million dollars worth of funding through my research, saving near 20 jobs in the process. It was bittersweet, on the outside I celebrated and I was happy for my colleagues who are also my friends. On the inside though I felt mixed emotions. I havent spoken about my own plight to anyone since the decision was made. But others have. A colleague in the same position as me, but who has a year left told everyone in the organisation about the situation. She lobbied HR, the COO, Senior managers, directors and pushed and pushed, whereas I have stayed completely silent. I have enough drama in my life without needing more conflict.

However last week 3 directors approached me and said theyd spoken on my behalf to the CEO about the visa and if anything could be done. He asked them to ask me to write everything linked to it to him.

Truth is Ive lost my passion for the organisation. I still love it because Ive poured my heart and soul in it. But I feel like Im damned if I do damned if I dont. If I stay this will stay in the back of my mind. If I go I have to leave this country. Im really torn and dont know whether to fight or keep my integrity and just leave knowing Ive done my best and I deserve better.

You might as well do what has been asked of you & try to stay. Years from now you will regret more not trying.

You should also realize that there are people within the organization who are willing to fight for you. Not many people have that. In some ways you are lucky.