Thinking of hiring a PR person...

thefooloftheyear

To all...

In my effort to transition from everyday business, one thing that many people have advised me to do is get out and use my vast experience as a consultant/advisor. I have done this in an informal way on some level, but now want to begin to take it to another level and eventually let this become my mainstay..Its a plan to get paid for all of the acquired knowledge, without a storefront and employees..

My short history...Business/entrepreneur...almost 30 years in my industry and the entire time all self employed..>I do have a national reputation and there are pages of contributions that can be found on search engines that outline my accomplishments and various projects..

Anyway, I really dont know where to begin, other than I do know that there is a market and its willing..Id imagine a webpage and some strategic advertising-at least at the outset..Many people have advised me to seek out a PR agent to get this going..

Anyone with any experience here?

Thanks so much in advance...:)

TFY

• Like 1

We should talk sometime. :) I want to have my own business someday as I just don't see myself working 40 hours a week for someone else forever. My husband would like to do the HR aspect of the business in the future. I'll have to PM you sometime about the process of starting a business.;)

• Author
thefooloftheyear
We should talk sometime. :) I want to have my own business someday as I just don't see myself working 40 hours a week for someone else forever. My husband would like to do the HR aspect of the business in the future. I'll have to PM you sometime about the process of starting a business.;)

I'd be happy to help in any way I can..feel free to PM..:)

TFY

EvelyneConnor

I don't know what your budget is - you can get a lot done for a large amount of money, but at the same time some "PR agents" might rip you off for doing very basic stuff.

You need a personal website that focuses on your achievements and the know-how to optimize it for the search engines(called SEO, search engine optimization, i.e., so that you get onto the first page of Google when people search for keywords related to your work or name). There are lots of agencies and people who will help you do that for really quite fair prices, Keyword Marketing Pro is one that I've used before and I've been quite satisfied with their SEO packages.

Then, if you say you've got a national reputation, you can sign up to Help a Reporter Out, which is basically what it sounds like. If a journalist/reporter needs expertise that you have, they might contact you and quote you in their article.

Definitely shop around, check for reviews when you can. The Internet is an excellent way of putting your name and business out there, much better, I think, than "traditional" methods of advertising/PR.

Edit: Also - write an ebook, send out emails to your contacts and other informal networks, and don't give up. ;)

• Like 2

Have you thought about taking on some BOD positions in your industry and growing consulting contacts from those interactions?

Do you really need someone to manage your 'image'? It's possible you do but I'd take a hard look at it as a facilitator to consulting work unless you work in an 'image' industry.

Most of the PR firms I'm aware of through business contacts work to promote 'image' due to the principal's interface with the political process. An example would be an owner of companies who works primarily in government contracts or interfacing with the political process to prosecute their work. They need to project a certain 'image' to the public and politicians to effect their business goals. IMO, think of PR like a law firm. They definitely have their place and, generally, both are pretty expensive.

If you're serious about the PR angle and believe the numbers will crunch out to your advantage, create an interview template relevant to your industry/skillset for prospective individuals and/or firms and conduct some interviews and see what happens.

TBH, most of my friends who have reached your position in life either do private consulting, sit on BOD's or function as private money to fund projects, but perhaps we're a bit older so different generation, more the look in eyes and handshake stuff than 'image management' so YMMV.

In any event, good luck and much success. :)

• Like 2
  • Author
thefooloftheyear
Have you thought about taking on some BOD positions in your industry and growing consulting contacts from those interactions?

Do you really need someone to manage your 'image'? It's possible you do but I'd take a hard look at it as a facilitator to consulting work unless you work in an 'image' industry.

Most of the PR firms I'm aware of through business contacts work to promote 'image' due to the principal's interface with the political process. An example would be an owner of companies who works primarily in government contracts or interfacing with the political process to prosecute their work. They need to project a certain 'image' to the public and politicians to effect their business goals. IMO, think of PR like a law firm. They definitely have their place and, generally, both are pretty expensive.

If you're serious about the PR angle and believe the numbers will crunch out to your advantage, create an interview template relevant to your industry/skillset for prospective individuals and/or firms and conduct some interviews and see what happens.

TBH, most of my friends who have reached your position in life either do private consulting, sit on BOD's or function as private money to fund projects, but perhaps we're a bit older so different generation, more the look in eyes and handshake stuff than 'image management' so YMMV.

In any event, good luck and much success. :)

For me, its simply a matter of time...I could do this on my own, but I dont have the time for the small stuff(web design/maintenance and networking)...

I hear what you are saying as far as "image" goes...I dont think that would be something that I would need -image management..About the only thing I see as a drawback for me is that I am not a natural "schmoozer" or "backslapper"...if you get my drift...I dont know that I would necessarily need these qualitiies, but i'd imagine that It would help..Sitting on BOD's would be a great thing for someone like me..

Maybe I have the terminology/job title wrong(PR person)....Bear in mind, I am only going by what I have been told by folks that are recommending this is what I should do...

The way I could see this working is I have someone that is constantly prospecting for me, and seeking new opportunities that best utilize my experience/credentials....An "advocate", or "promoter" of sorts..In addition, they would have the added responsibility of maintaining the webpage and updating as needed..Maybe as it starts to grow legs, then the person's need will be reduced or eliminated...

Point is, I know how to do it...Ive already done this type of consulting and didnt have any issues and all went well.... I just have to figure out how to get it out there and off the ground and how to develop a fee structure that is consistent with industry standards....Those are areas where I would seek out assistance..

Thanks for the advice and well wishes...

TFY

Edited by thefooloftheyear

You don't need a PR person as much as you need a marketing director with some PR knowledge. PR is a part of marketing.

When I tried to hire somebody to help me market my business I found the process daunting because some of it was a foreign language. Then there are all these different components: logo, brand, PR, website, SEO, publicity etc.

First, site down & flesh our your marketing goals. The same way you wrote a business plan, you need a marketing plan. There are tons of books to help. You can also talk to folks at SCORE.org or your local SBDC to get started. this initial plan should also identify your target market. Thinking there is a national need does not mean you have drilled it down enough or that you are automatically set up to service the whole country. Think about the logistics.

Second, set a budget. How much you have to spend will determine what your campaign will look like.

Next find somebody in the marketing field who specializes in your industry. Somebody who knows how to market cars or pharmaceuticals may not know how to package a life coach or efficiency expert. Network your way to the right person. Don't just pick somebody off the internet.

Third, interview a few people. Make sure you genuinely like the person because they will exert great influence on your business. I grew very frustrated very quickly with people who expected me to pay them for essentially trying to change my vision, not necessarily for the better.

Not knowing what you do...and it sounds like you currently don't have a webpage.

Webpage design is not all that difficult.

Do you have any friends/contacts who would help you with that?

Mt ex partner began his own business from nothing..he desihned a webpage himself and asked me what I thought.

I asked if he wanted a blunt reply or a kind one before I even saw it. He asked for blunt.

The wording wasn't bad but it looked like a home drawn web site.

I suggested he go look for websites which he thought looked professional - he did. He spent all day looking. :)

He then showed me his site later that evening...and it's the site he still has er... 10 odd years later. It looked brilliant..professional and clean cut compared to home drawn and 'too nice' looking.

He never needed a PR he just needed a site..that spoke for itself and did his advertising for him.

Web design is crucial. Try that as a first approach. Many companies will help but you can learn too and the effort and time for it really isn't that much compared to what a webpage actually delivers.