Why do so many girls choosing Nursing as a career?

I've heard it dozens of times now.

"I love that I will get to help people."

"Job security."

When I ask these girls if nursing is their passion they reply - invariably - with a resounding "yes".

I've got enough life experience to where I know that if something is your passion, you tend to talk about it a lot. I never hear these girls talking about nursing other than when someone asks them what their major is.

Another thing that itches my ass is if you ask any college student why they chose their school, then unless it is a community college, they will say,

"(insert name of school) has a really good (insert name of their major) program. That's why I chose it."

I, myself, did not go to college, and I don't see the point since I am already in the beginning of the career I know I want to be in (which I got into by just trying things).

This has gotten to be a bit much for me. It's gotten to the point to where if a girl tells me that she's into nursing for the standard reasons, then it's dating points off in my head. (I'm not Prince Charming but you get the point)

Does anyone else experience this?

Not really sure why you're bothered that some women like nursing, but if that's something that makes you lose sleep at night then by all means, keep them away from you. And I'm sorry you don't understand college and never went there. By all means, avoid that too.

• Like 14

I don't know that many women who chose nursing as a career. You may be obsessed with it for reasons that you are not even aware of & because of that you see nurses "everywhere."

Most of my friends tend to be in my career field even though the average person probably doesn't know that many people who do what I do.

Like attracts like.

As long as the people are happy & supporting themselves what difference does it make to you what somebody else decides to do with their lives?

• Like 4

If girls in college who have ambition and a long term career goals annoy you, don't date them. I'm sure there are lots of guys who would be happy to find such a woman.

• Like 8
dragon_fly_7

OP, at least that's better than a woman that doesn't care about going to college and has to rely on a man for her to have a decent status, basically making her way out via someone else's effort and nothing she did on her own.

My career is actually related to business administration so I don't know where you're finding girls that are all into nursing. Either way, any career is worth something.

• Like 2
GorillaTheater

Nursing is a smart career choice. Likewise, picking a college because they have a great program in the field the student is interested in beats the hell out of just about every other reason ("I heard it was a great party school, dude").

I don't get what you're bitching about. Is it the fact they're interested in going to college at all? I agree that it's not for everyone. One of my sons is pursuing a career in HVAC, and I think he's doing a smart thing and going about it in a smart way. It's all you can ask of anybody.

• Like 11
  • Author

All responses I saw coming.

I bitch because I am cautious about anything where people who don't know each other say the same thing about something they have yet to experience firsthand.

Like heaven for example.

I know it seems insecure of me. But I don't think "job security" is the most worthwhile pursuit in life. And even if it were why not choose technology? It seems to me (and many other professionals) that technology will eventually be the way to go.

I even had one girl go so far as to tell me that "nursing is a more secure field than technology." And it is that kind of thinking that I am bitching about.

• Author
Not really sure why you're bothered that some women like nursing, but if that's something that makes you lose sleep at night then by all means, keep them away from you. And I'm sorry you don't understand college and never went there. By all means, avoid that too.

You said that as if I were, at any point, intentionally seeking them out.

I am bothered by how it is seeming that a lot (as in NOT SOME) of people are piling onto one field to save their ass as opposed to being motivated by the work itself. That is what I am bitching about!

• Author
If girls in college who have ambition and a long term career goals annoy you, don't date them. I'm sure there are lots of guys who would be happy to find such a woman.

Is that what the f#ck I said??

And you're making the mistake of assuming that someone who goes to nursing school == someone who has ambition. That's not always true. I know waitresses who have finished nursing school and don't want to nurse.

• Author
I don't know that many women who chose nursing as a career. You may be obsessed with it for reasons that you are not even aware of & because of that you see nurses "everywhere."

Most of my friends tend to be in my career field even though the average person probably doesn't know that many people who do what I do.

Like attracts like.

As long as the people are happy & supporting themselves what difference does it make to you what somebody else decides to do with their lives?

Thank you for giving a response that actually adds to the conversation. It's not that I just ask random girls. I am generalizing, of course, but as of late, just about every girl I have talked to (as in I was interested in them) was in nursing school.

• Author
OP, at least that's better than a woman that doesn't care about going to college and has to rely on a man for her to have a decent status, basically making her way out via someone else's effort and nothing she did on her own.

I have a philosophy that just because two things are different does not mean that one is necessarily better than the other.

To me it's not better. It's just a different version of the same thing. Neither are desirable.

melodymatters

A few years back when the economy tanked, suddenly EVERYONE, male and female started looking into nursing because it was one of the few fields where you could get a two yr degree and make like thirty six dollars an hour, and we kept hearing how there was such a shortage.

Currently there actually isn't a shortage, older nurses are holding on to their jobs for dear life after the recession and everyone wants two yrs experience, not new grads.

Nursing schools have become insanely competitive and yeah, I doubt it's most of these peoples passion, but I don't really care if they end up being good at their job. ( Assuming they can get one)

• Like 4

And you're making the mistake of assuming that someone who goes to nursing school == someone who has ambition. That's not always true. I know waitresses who have finished nursing school and don't want to nurse.

Uh, yeah you did say that.

Having a career plan does equal ambition, IMO, whether one ends up in that profession or not.

You even said that you couldn't stand when a girl says she chose a certain college for a certain program, but that's why people choose certain colleges.

Is it just the nurse thing that annoys you? Would it be better if her ambition was filmmaker or artist or teacher? Or if her major was undecided? Or would you prefer someone not in college?

• Author

I said it's points off if she chose nursing for the standard reasons - which i had already explained to be "job security".

It's because a girl who prioritizes her safety or her desire is (to me) not ambitious. In fact, she might just be a conformist.

Every grad I know who's in this position took her boards at least three times and couldn't pass. 'Don't want to' sounds better than 'the state won't let me'. :confused:

Nurse here. I don't knew the phenomenon of which you speak, but I think it's drilled into girls' heads for the time they're young. It is job security, altho, as Melody says, it will get tougher as the shortage eases (has eased in a lot of places). And it will no longer be good enough to have an associate's degree; hospitals want a BS. Half the girls talking won't make it thru the program, if that eases your mind.

I was told by my mentor, who's been around 60 years, that nurses make the best girlfriends, wives and lovers. (Teachers were high on his list as well). Some garbage about compassion, nurturing and knowing our bodies inside and out.

I don't get your 'dating points' system, but if it works, yay.

• Like 4
  • Author

Having a career plan does equal ambition, IMO, whether one ends up in that profession or not.

Whether they end up in that profession or not?

So to the many college students who will return to their parent's homes this year without any idea of what they want to do next...you would call that ambitious?

take a look at this definition:

having ambition; eagerly desirous of achieving or obtaining success, power, wealth, a specific goal, etc.

To say that someone who has a career plan equals someone who has ambition is to say that just by making a plan you are ambitious. That mindset makes it way too easy to give up and still feel good.

I'm afraid you are wrong this time. Because the point of starting...is to finish.

I said it's points off if she chose nursing for the standard reasons - which i had already explained to be "job security".

It's because a girl who prioritizes her safety or her desire is (to me) not ambitious. In fact, she might just be a conformist.

So what you mean is that you're turned off by women who go into a profession just for the money or job security? I assume you'd feel this way about any profession that someone wasn't passionate about?

I'd be turned off by a man who was choosing to be a lawyer only because his dad is a lawyer and he wants to make lots of money, not because he cares about law or justice.

To me, "helping people" is a legitimate reason to became a nurse. It's not like being a nurse is a glamorous, high status job. I assume it's difficult and gross at times.

• Like 3
  • Author

I'm glad you brought that up MidwestUSA...

Ive been in the military for almost 6 years. It's nothing like it used to be. I wish there were words I could use to portray how much it has changed. Both recently and looking at the whole timeline.

In the guard of my state, they must get rid of at least 1200 members. People are dropping left and right.

Why is that important?

Because there are a sh#t-ton of soldiers who piled on the military bus because of "job security", school payments, and because you make a decent living. And now their world is turned upside-down.

They spent years coasting along in a job where they were allowed to be just pretty good. Now they are thrust into the world again. Armed with nothing but the mediocre skills that atrophied over the years they spent sitting comfortably in what they then thought was "job security".

• Like 1
  • Author
So what you mean is that you're turned off by women who go into a profession just for the money or job security? I assume you'd feel this way about any profession that someone wasn't passionate about?

I'd be turned off by a man who was choosing to be a lawyer only because his dad is a lawyer and he wants to make lots of money, not because he cares about law or justice.

Yes. And I already said that. It's not nurses. It's not ambitious women. It's fearful women masquerading as women with real goals and desires. That's what I have a problem with.

You'd be turned off by a lawyer who didn't care about law or justice?

Then we have finally come to an agreement.

• Like 1
You'd be turned off by a lawyer who didn't care about law or justice?.

Law students care about law & justice. Lawyers care about winning & money.

You are seeing nurses everywhere because as you said, you are finding a lot of them among the women you are attracted to. There is some commonality there.

People who have served in the military tend to mature faster than their pipeline counterparts who go from high school to college with no life experience in between. As a collegian I had all sorts of trite reasons I wanted to pursue my career. The fact that I did not have the sophistication to explain why I chose that path, didn't make me any less ambitious. It just made me young & naïve. You may be judging these women a bit harshly from your broadened perspective that they don't have. Thank you for your service BTW.

I also disagree with you about the job security thing. As technology replaces people those jobs can & are being outsourced. Nursing requires personal care. You can't effectively deliver patient care from a distance although of course technology advances medical understanding everyday.

• Like 4
learning_slowly

And technology has little job security. If you haven't got into management by 30, you are often looked at, as over the hill.

As management can only be a small percent of the original workforce, I forsee there will be a lot of older people iwho used to have a technology career, trying to get into new areas or setting up their own companies.

• Like 5

What difference does it make? Do you think someone needs a deep love of a career to define themselves? I know a *****load of people, men and women who have gone into their chosen career strictly for the investment/return aspect. For instance, you can become a dental hygienist in 2 years of schooling and make around $60k. Now how many hygienists do you think said to themselves at the beginning, "Man, I just love spending my day scraping the schmegma off peoples teeth." Nursing has a pretty high ROI as well, and with modern medicine keeping people alive many, many more years than in the past, it's a field that will never go away.

• Like 6

I was studying nursing for a while primarily for the reasons you listed when I first went off to college. My dad's ex gf was a nurse and I agreed with him at the time that it was a good option since I wasn't sure what else to do at that time. Since then, I have changed my major about 3-4 times...I ended up being a Business graduate. My dad always thought I should be a nurse for the reasons you mentioned...stable, good money etc. But it just wasn't for me. I couldn't handle the constant round the clock stress nursing entails and having to see and deal with blood and guts all the time. They get paid good bucks for a reason, it's a difficult job and it's not for everyone. You also need loads of patience when dealing with irritable and sick patients.

• Like 5