How to leave without causing disruption to business?

TylerDurdenn

I plan to leave my current employer however my role will take at least 3 months of training for somebody to take my place.

I would love to just give my months notice and screw my scumbag managers over, however the MD has been very good to me and I would like to return the favour by making the transition of employees as smooth as possible.

My question is - how do I do this? Do I notify my MD of my intentions and advise them to get somebody in ASAP? That leaves me in a desperate position with getting another job.

Or do I just hand my notice in once I have a new job and let my arrogant know-it-all self centred managers deal with the mess?

And for reference, one of the managers is the MD's son.....

You have to do what's in your contract. If your notice period is one month, you give one month notice as soon as another job offer has been put to you in writing.

Do not assume that your concern will be reciprocated by your employer.

Your company is also unlikely to go under, 3 months training isn't that long to be honest. Training for my job to do it to the level that I do, requires roughly a year but there are a couple of other people in my department that can also do it.

• Like 1
learning_slowly

I know somebody who gave 3 months notice to help their employer and was asked to leave in a month.

Don't get yourself into that position. They may appear to have done you a favour but they would not have employed you if they didn't think you would benefit the business.

Make sure you have something lined up before you leave if at all possible.

• Like 3

Are you in an at-will employment state? Most states are like this. A lot of people are under the misconception that contract means you are stuck in a job for that entire duration...but if you are in an at-will state, an employer or an employee can terminate the contract at any time.