Do you think its appropriate for co-workers to have baby showers at work?

There's been times when some co-workers decide to throw a baby shower for another co-worker -who also happens to be their friend. And they usually have these so-called baby showers at work-they keep it a secret, they tell everyone where they can buy baby stuff, bring snacks, etc, etc. Obviously when your at a job, not everyone talks to everyone or are friends with them. Since, I'm not close to that person, or have never even talked to them-whoever is expecting, I usually don't participate and I don't buy gifts for them. And it kind of makes me look bad if I don't buy a present or celebrate with them. I just think if they want to throw their friend a baby shower, then they should do it on their terms-they can meet up after work and meet up with their friends, mingle on their time-not at work. I feel like its too personal almost and I feel obligated to buy a gift for someone that I don't ever talk to or am friends with. What do you think? Isn't it usually reserved for close family and friends?

• Like 1

I don't think its appropriate.

Then again we all went to a 2 hour paid lunch today for some ones birthday, sooooooooo......

I think it would be appropriate if all of the office together went in on a small gift or card.

Otherwise, it's too personal. What if somebody else has a baby, and doesn't get a shower? Or doesn't want a shower? When a workplace gets too personal, it brings a lot of drama that stresses people out and reduces productivity. Worlds should be kept somewhat protected and apart.

• Like 1

I think it's a nice way to honor a coworker, and is often done in the office and on company time. Nothing wrong with that. Similar to a company birthday party or company going away party or retirement party for a co-worker. You may not know the co-worker well, but it's nice to show support for your co-workers. My co-workers threw a baby shower for me when I had my first child. Most of them I knew pretty well. Some, not so much since they were newbies who hadn't been with the company very long, but it was a nice bonding thing for the office gals, and a way to show support for their co-worker. Usually, if the office crew is pretty large and not as connected with each other, they will all chip in a little bit for a group gift rather than individual more expensive gifts.

• Like 2

We did this recently for a co-worker. We did it in the lunchroom. Our situation is a bit unique though, we all work in the same department, but often work opposing days and shifts. There is no way all of us in our department would ever have a day off together where we could meet as a group outside of work- so we arranged to do it on a day where our shifts crossed paths and most of us were scheduled to work. It was just easier to arrange it that way.

For us, this wasn't meant to exclude anyone- just the most convenient way to gather as a group. The mother to be had another shower the majority of us couldn't attend because we were all working.

We didn't announce it to everyone, just arranged it as a department and held it in the lunchroom. There are more than 400 people working every shift at any given time in 24 hours.

I don't think it's inappropriate to do something like this, I think it's more a matter of convenience.

@ Liptor11

I understand your point-of-view, but you need to change your mindset. Attend and see the gift as the cost of doing business. You're just greasing the wheels.

Be charming. Be debonair. And don't sweat the small stuff.

Usually, if the office crew is pretty large and not as connected with each other, they will all chip in a little bit for a group gift rather than individual more expensive gifts.

I recently contributed $10 for a group gift for a woman having a baby where I work. I don't know her super well, but I was excited for her. This is what people do for each other.

I think it's nice to celebrate a person's first child.

I don't, however, think your coworkers should make you feel obligated in any way to contribute or attend these things if you don't want to.

It depends on how it's done. If everyone gives a small amount, you get one present from the group & all go to the lunchrom for cake it's fine. If you are expected to cough up the same amount of money you would for a family member or friend & buy individual gifts it's a problem. If some people are excluded it's a big no no. If you don't want to invite everyone, have it outside of work.

I'm a hairstylist/makeup artist so the businesses I have worked for are small and we tend to be very close. We would celebrate but it would most likely be one of us hosting a work baby shower in our homes or at a restaurant.

In an office setting is it feasible to hold one of these things during the work day? Seems like if you celebrated every birthday, wedding shower, baby shower, retirement, etc etc it would get to be too much. If you celebrate for one person it's rude to not celebrate for everyone. Seems too much to me unless it's a very small work environment.