Why didn't this hiring manager call me back?

A few weeks ago, I applied for a job online, the hiring manager emailed me and asked me what would be the best time to get in contact with me, I replied, and told him in the late afternoon. He called me the next day in the late afternoon, I missed his call and he left a message saying to call him back or email him to set up an interview if it was something that I was interested in. I called him right back right after he left me a message, it went to his voicemail, so I left a message. He never called me back the next day, so I emailed him and told him I would be available to take his call in the morning, no response. I'm like...what the heck? Did I miss something here? Why in the world would he leave a message saying to return his call/or email him then never respond?

A few weeks ago, I applied for a job online, the hiring manager emailed me and asked me what would be the best time to get in contact with me, I replied, and told him in the late afternoon. He called me the next day in the late afternoon, I missed his call and he left a message saying to call him back or email him to set up an interview if it was something that I was interested in. I called him right back right after he left me a message, it went to his voicemail, so I left a message. He never called me back the next day, so I emailed him and told him I would be available to take his call in the morning, no response. I'm like...what the heck? Did I miss something here? Why in the world would he leave a message saying to return his call/or email him then never respond?

I hate that and unfortunately it happens quite often.Sometimes the phone tag is also a nuisance too. Just continue applying to other positions and don't get discouraged. You did your due diligence.

• Author

I thought maybe it was because I didn't answer his call when I told him when it was a good time to contact me, but that's just kind of unprofessional to not even return my call, or reply back!

• Like 1
amaysngrace

A person who really wanted the job would have answered the phone the first time the hiring manager called.

Just sayin.

• Like 2
A person who really wanted the job would have answered the phone the first time the hiring manager called.

Just sayin.

Yep. You make it a point to NOT miss that call. Assuming you have a cell phone, there's not an availability/portability issue. He probably had an equally qualified candidate who did answer the first call, three minutes after you missed yours.

• Like 4
Eternal Sunshine
Yep. You make it a point to NOT miss that call. Assuming you have a cell phone, there's not an availability/portability issue. He probably had an equally qualified candidate who did answer the first call, three minutes after you missed yours.

Yes...and you should have never left the voicemail. You should have kept trying to call him until he answered. At least you would have some sort of answer.

• Like 1

Just sayin.

BS. If you are qualified for a job and a strong candidate, a call going to voicemail does not doom your search. This is a hiring manger issue. So many people set off on the venture to hire people without possessing either the drive or professionalism to do so. Professionals do not contact someone for a position and then ignore responses. The OP is at the mercy of either a very busy hiring manager who is unequipped to fulfill the role, or a manager who is not professional enough to complete communications they start.

OP, you are worth more than anyone willing to jerk you around. Just like dating, you are only responsible for your half of the relationship. If this person does not respect you enough to engage with you, then it was probably a bad situation to begin with. If that's the case, you dodged a bullet.

I can't believe how many sheep here believe that when you are job seeking, the companies you apply to have more value than you, your skills, and your own personal life (which believe it or not, has value). Do not let anyone tell you that looking for work in any way equates to giving up your life and your value to hover around a phone waiting for a call. Employment is a mutual relationship, not servitude. You did your part and all that could be asked of you. All else is on them.

Edited by Krytie TV
  • Like 1
todreaminblue

This is going to seem a really forward thing to do(my mum said i am deceiving i am sweet and shy but i am also supremely confident in my abilities...its why i get jobs i combine the two )) but if you truly want a job you chase it like a cheetah dont let time get the better of you.

If you have a physical addy get in there and wait for him to be free...take a book and patiently wait for when he might have a few spare minutes to talk to you, the world today isnt for sleeping its for action ...so act...

my son was quick to give up so i got him jobs because i bulldog employers with positive affirmations of why they should choose me or the person i am helping...i get the job over another who sits back and waits through pers4everance and knowing i can do the job better than soemone else..........dont have to be rude or aggressive ...you just need to act and you ca do it patiently waiting with a book to speak to the employer...employers love someone who is keen and shows initiative and has a high level of motivation to seek and destroy ahead of competition, and sell an employer on them as an employee, any chance of being seen as apathetic or lack lustre about employment with that company, is a way for you not to have a job

research the job and the company understand the policies be really pleasant to the receptionist ....and friendly........subterfuge info and show your people skills if the receptionist look s flistered at all show her empathy adn be light hearted....know why you should be a benefit to the company and why you are that only person who should be considered..when you get those few moments.....might be three minutes or ten minutes.......make them worth it....and the time will extend with interest from your employer.....know th market and set the bar high if he has other interviews still to attend for the position that is yours.................deb

Edited by todreaminblue
Professionals do not contact someone for a position and then ignore responses.

A person really wanting a job doesn't give late afternoon as a good time to call, then not be available. It doesn't show much enthusiasm. :confused:

Employment is a privilege, not a right, and there's a lot of competition for jobs out there. I'm surprised the guy even left a message; he didn't really even owe her that.

• Like 2

Looks like everyone is buying what employers are selling. That you must be at their beck and call if you want to work. Personally, I'll pass on those employers. I may be alone in that, though.

Eternal Sunshine
Looks like everyone is buying what employers are selling. That you must be at their beck and call if you want to work. Personally, I'll pass on those employers. I may be alone in that, though.

It really depends on the position. If a position is such that there are only very few strong candidates sure, your approach works.

For more entry level positions that many people would suit the role, it is pretty much on first comes first served basis. Self respect isn't going to pay your bills.

Just sayin.

This is just insane.

People take showers. People use the bathroom. People drive in their cars

I would NEVER expect someone to be glued to their phone at every minute, and I know it's impossible to be available to answer a phone at every single minute of the day.

In my eyes, refusing to get back in contact with someone just because they missed ONE call, is very childish. Any person, friend, family, employer, whoever... anyone who behaved that way towards me would no longer be taken seriously at all.

todreaminblue
This is just insane.

I would NEVER expect someone to be glued to their phone at every minute, and I know it's impossible to be available to answer a phone at every single minute of the day.

In my eyes, refusing to get back in contact with someone just because they missed ONE call, is very childish. Any person, friend, family, employer, whoever... anyone who behaved that way towards me would no longer be taken seriously at all.

to me phoe i would run out of the shower buck naked to catch a phone call ...i often get feelings and if it were a job i really wanted buck naked i woudl do a streak and take that phone abck to my room and find a towel.....lol....luckily i am not looking for a job...atm as i have strays in my house they are my job...no deb streaking allowed....but if i want a job i normally get it...and i am not up myself or a kiss ass but i am a kick ass with competition............deb

• Like 2

Won't let me edit my last post.

I somehow overlooked the bit where OP had specifically scheduled a time to be called. When you KNOW what time you are going to get a call, you need to make yourself available.

My above post is in reference to a situation where you have applied for a job and have no idea when you will get a call, or if you will even get one at all. You simply can't be glued to your phone 24/7.

• Like 2
Employer called while I was at work, and when I called back, they went for the next applicant.

This is my point exactly.

What can anyone do about this?? Nothing.

I cannot answer my phone at work. If another job offer called me during my work hours, they would not reach me. Point blank. That's not MY fault, there's no one at fault on that.

Sure, the hiring manager moves on to the next name on the list, and maybe that person answers and gets called in. That's just the way the cards fall.

I just sense an attitude of chastisement for being unable to answer your phone at any point in time. That attitude is unwarranted.

• Like 1

There are also interviewers who do not call on a timely manner. One instance was when we scheduled a phone interview and one never called. I sent an email asking what happened. They had a mixup and rescheduled. Another called about 10-15 minutes late. There were some cases I had to pee real bad while waiting, so I made it quick and took my phone to the restroom while crossing my fingers that they didn't call within those 2 minutes. :laugh:

• Like 1

I think the hiring manager has appointed some else for the particular post you were interested in or something else happened.We can't assume anything exactly until he response to you once.

sweetjasmine
This is just insane.

Yeah, god forbid someone doesn't take the phone with them when they're taking a dump, for instance.

• Like 2
Yeah, god forbid someone doesn't take the phone with them when they're taking a dump, for instance.

I just make sure I don't flush until my screen says 'call ended'. ?

• Like 1

Yeah, you screwed up by not answering the call when he called. He asked you when you'd be available, and then you didn't care enough to be by the phone and pick up when he called. Interviewers want organized people who can make a plan and follow through.

This sort of reminds me of the EDD...they give you a 2 hour time slot of when they'll call and often they either call you in the first 5 minutes or the very last 5 minutes. If you need to pee or do anything, that phone needs to be right by your side, because god forbid you miss that call and they cancel your benefits.