Ideas for making extra money?

So I think I make a pretty nice salary for a single mom ($65k), but it's only enough to cover my student loans, mortgage, car, cell, internet, credit cards, my son's high school needs (he's in everything band related which makes it difficult for him to get a job and help with the load), etc. There's never anything left for "me" things like trips and shopping (unless I charge it which I'm not doing anymore).

Having a full time career, I really don't have a lot of time for a night job, nor do I want to be away from my son all the time. Anyone have ideas on how I could make some extra money from home?

• Author
Ebay, craigslist, and saving bottles/cans for recycling

I just sold an old iPhone on Craigslist. :) I don't have a ton to sell, but will keep looking. I've also sold clothes at a consignment store. Will try that again.

• Like 1
todreaminblue

cupcakes are really popular

home made soap in specific taking into considering allergenic soap qualities goats milk soap IS GOOD FOR KIDS WITH ALLERGIES AND ALLERGIES ARE BECOMING SO COMMON

jewellry making

art in any form some times it takes time to make a show or get peopel to appreciate what you are creative with

children's books simplistic story writing with positive messages, how many times as a single mum have you made up stories for bed time start writing them down with the internet and e books becoming a published author is not that difficult a proposal. just ask the christian grey enterprise that stared as an e book forgotten the name of the book, i think theirs a spot for children books on the internet, research and know your strengths what you are passionate about what you love to do and expand that to encompass a financial venture

being a single mum relate something you do for children that will benefit them too. i have this thing that happened my daughters puppy took off with my teeth that fell on the floor and hid them in the backyard, luckily they were found, there is already a book similar to this available, i used this as an example, of a single mum simple story with humor that could be written you have days of possibility to think about a story for.....the moral of my story is keep yoru teeth and possessions where they should be kept and not available for a puppy to have a huge grin in place...i told my mum i was so upset at the time of losing them , when i told her what had happened she nearly wet herself she said deb please write that story said i cant mum it could be misconstrued as plagurism and i have other stOries anyway......best wishes...go the children books...;0)

i made a cake a birthday cake for a three year old on the weekend, my next door neighbour who did not have money to have a birthday cake so i did it for free, she was ever so grateful to me and the little girl loved it it was a simple microwave cake and apparently made the party just that little bit special i could only do a microwave one which i felt guilty for but i have a really sore right arm.in saying this, single mums struggle with money mostly, i used to do in home child care for single mothers, i didnt end up breaking even however because i charged only minimal , mainly to cover food,sometimes i was in the red, they became friends of mine i could not charge them i let them off so their children could have the money instead..they were long hours and tiring.I had five children myself and strays as well to help out

blue card and special permission might be needed for this endeavour if you so choose to consider it......

Edited by todreaminblue
  • Like 1

I've been selling for others on ebay for years. My fee is 25% plus fees. Just last week sold a 45 record from the 50s to a man in Japan for 137.00 :)

I also enter a lot of contests. The stuff I win goes on ebay. I have won books, cds, and giftcards.

• Like 5

You'll feel like you're making more money if you really focus on budgeting. If you make a strict monthly plan, especially concentrating on how you can cut back (less eating out, downgrade your phone/internet/cable, less shopping, etc), you'll feel like you're earning more without all the extra work of getting a second job. :)

• Like 3
thefooloftheyear

When I was in college. I worked in nightclubs and bars...I made 600-800 clean for friday and saturday....Mostly working the door and occasionally tending bar..And that was in the 1980's!!

While I dont think youd want to be a bouncer..(lol)..Restaurants and these types of extablishments can pay well....I know a woman that works a full time job, yet waitresses on a Saturday night for some extra cash...She usually makes around 250 for the night..Thats an extra grand a month for just 4 nights....And no waiting for a paycheck either..Get paid at the end of the shift..And she is out of there by 10:30...

.Youd probably have to work 40 hrs/week in Wal Mart for that kind of dough..

Not too bad if you dont mind giving up your sat nights..

TFY

• Like 4
You'll feel like you're making more money if you really focus on budgeting. If you make a strict monthly plan, especially concentrating on how you can cut back (less eating out, downgrade your phone/internet/cable, less shopping, etc), you'll feel like you're earning more without all the extra work of getting a second job. :)

This. Remember, less is more. Also coupon clipping...shop at outlet grocers etc

• Like 2

While I dont think youd want to be a bouncer..(lol)..Restaurants and these types of extablishments can pay well....I know a woman that works a full time job, yet waitresses on a Saturday night for some extra cash...She usually makes around 250 for the night..Thats an extra grand a month for just 4 nights....And no waiting for a paycheck either..Get paid at the end of the shift..And she is out of there by 10:30...

TFY

Where does she waitress at?

I've been thinking of getting a 2nd job as a waitress, but wanna make sure I go for a place that is gonna be decent enough pay to make it worth giving up my nights when I already work 50 hours a week in the mornings and afternoons.

thefooloftheyear

I've been thinking of getting a 2nd job as a waitress, but wanna make sure I go for a place that is gonna be decent enough pay to make it worth giving up my nights when I already work 50 hours a week in the mornings and afternoons.

Its a pretty busy, semi formal Italian restaurant in an affluent area...Im in the suburbs of NYC, so these places are a dime a dozen...Id think out there, it wouldnt be all that much different..

Forget about Dennys or The Olive Garden....Those places wont do it..You need to look for a place where the tab for a couple is at least 100-150...Around here, these places are on every streetcorner..Saturday nights you will hustle your ass off, but you will make nice money....Heck, A friend of mine owned a restaurant and sold it...He now tends bar in a busy Irish pub on the outskirts of NYC...He makes around $2,000/wk clear,.,And he has a great shift...He goes in at 11AM and is done by 7:30...!!

Id think if you can find that type of place like I mentioned, it would suit someone like you perfectly...You should check into it!

Good luck

TFY

Edited by thefooloftheyear
lollipopspot

Waitressing is actually kind of an in-demand job in a lot of places. You may need to start as a hostess somewhere and "work your way up," if you haven't waitressed before.

As mentioned, go to formal and semi formal establishments, for the best money.

Be warned that there seem to be a lot of politics in restaurant work, more than in any other type of work I've done. I used to waitress and most every place I worked seemed like a terrible dysfunctional family. Stay out of the politics! Keep calm and neutral when it comes at you, don't date co-workers, if hosts and waitstaff are unfair or self interested in seating tables try to ignore it, you get the idea... There's a lot of cash floating around and it can make people greedy, petty, and otherwise bring out their worst.

Forget about Dennys or The Olive Garden....Those places wont do it..You need to look for a place where the tab for a couple is at least 100-150...Around here, these places are on every streetcorner..Saturday nights you will hustle your ass off, but you will make nice money....Heck, A friend of mine owned a restaurant and sold it...He now tends bar in a busy Irish pub on the outskirts of NYC...He makes around $2,000/wk clear,.,And he has a great shift...He goes in at 11AM and is done by 7:30...!!

TFY

Ahh, we don't have any formal places here.

Olive Garden and applebees are as fancy as it gets.

thefooloftheyear
Ahh, we don't have any formal places here.

Olive Garden and applebees are as fancy as it gets.

Thats too bad...

I wouldnt do Denny's....You'll run around in circles for chump change..

TFY

• Like 1
  • Author
cupcakes are really popular

home made soap in specific taking into considering allergenic soap qualities goats milk soap IS GOOD FOR KIDS WITH ALLERGIES AND ALLERGIES ARE BECOMING SO COMMON

jewellry making

art in any form some times it takes time to make a show or get peopel to appreciate what you are creative with

children's books simplistic story writing with positive messages, how many times as a single mum have you made up stories for bed time start writing them down with the internet and e books becoming a published author is not that difficult a proposal. just ask the christian grey enterprise that stared as an e book forgotten the name of the book, i think theirs a spot for children books on the internet, research and know your strengths what you are passionate about what you love to do and expand that to encompass a financial venture

being a single mum relate something you do for children that will benefit them too. i have this thing that happened my daughters puppy took off with my teeth that fell on the floor and hid them in the backyard, luckily they were found, there is already a book similar to this available, i used this as an example, of a single mum simple story with humor that could be written you have days of possibility to think about a story for.....the moral of my story is keep yoru teeth and possessions where they should be kept and not available for a puppy to have a huge grin in place...i told my mum i was so upset at the time of losing them , when i told her what had happened she nearly wet herself she said deb please write that story said i cant mum it could be misconstrued as plagurism and i have other stOries anyway......best wishes...go the children books...;0)

i made a cake a birthday cake for a three year old on the weekend, my next door neighbour who did not have money to have a birthday cake so i did it for free, she was ever so grateful to me and the little girl loved it it was a simple microwave cake and apparently made the party just that little bit special i could only do a microwave one which i felt guilty for but i have a really sore right arm.in saying this, single mums struggle with money mostly, i used to do in home child care for single mothers, i didnt end up breaking even however because i charged only minimal , mainly to cover food,sometimes i was in the red, they became friends of mine i could not charge them i let them off so their children could have the money instead..they were long hours and tiring.I had five children myself and strays as well to help out

blue card and special permission might be needed for this endeavour if you so choose to consider it......

I'm not much of a baker, but I'm good with different kinds of chocolate covered strawberries. Maybe I can learn how to make edible arrangements and charge only half of what the store does. Those things are expensive!!

Babysitting is also a good idea. I was a 2nd grade teacher for 6 years and have a master's in education. Surely parents will trust me with their child! Lol I just need to find the going rate in my area.

• Author

I have done ALL of this and still have little left.

Ways I've cut down:

-I cut cable two years ago and only pay for Netflix ($8/mo).

-I don't have a landline, only two cell phones for my son and I. ($180/mo...I could probably cut back here when contract is up. It's hard now that most phones require a data plan.)

-I got my internet down from $50 to $25.

-I got my satellite radio down to $5/month and am going to cancel completely when the term ends.

-I got my CrossFit membership down from $108 to $48 a month. I may cancel completely when contract is up. (I know, I know. This one is a hard one to give up. It keeps me sane.)

-I cook all the time and bring lunch to work.

-I coupon clip, price match, and buy in bulk.

-I've significantly cut back on hair and nail salon visits. (Haven't had a cut since January and will not be touching up highlights when I do make my next appt.)

-I don't go to Starbucks anymore, but make my own coffee instead.

:(

• Author
When I was in college. I worked in nightclubs and bars...I made 600-800 clean for friday and saturday....Mostly working the door and occasionally tending bar..And that was in the 1980's!!

.Youd probably have to work 40 hrs/week in Wal Mart for that kind of dough..

Not too bad if you dont mind giving up your sat nights..

TFY

Yeah, I worked in the restaurant industry for 10 years and made some decent money. However, I want to be able to work on my own hours and not have

to commit to something every week.

Occasionally I'll get work through a modeling/promotions company giving out wine or liquor samples at liquor stores. It's really easy money ($20-$40/hr for basically standing there and talking to people). However, I'm always worried that I'll see someone from work and this type of job will be frowned upon due to the alcohol involved. (I am a former teacher and current school district administrator.)

Waitressing is actually kind of an in-demand job in a lot of places. You may need to start as a hostess somewhere and "work your way up," if you haven't waitressed before.

As mentioned, go to formal and semi formal establishments, for the best money.

Be warned that there seem to be a lot of politics in restaurant work, more than in any other type of work I've done. I used to waitress and most every place I worked seemed like a terrible dysfunctional family. Stay out of the politics! Keep calm and neutral when it comes at you, don't date co-workers, if hosts and waitstaff are unfair or self interested in seating tables try to ignore it, you get the idea... There's a lot of cash floating around and it can make people greedy, petty, and otherwise bring out their worst.

There is definitely a lot of office politics in the retail industry in general.

I'm not much of a baker, but I'm good with different kinds of chocolate covered strawberries. Maybe I can learn how to make edible arrangements and charge only half of what the store does. Those things are expensive!!

Babysitting is also a good idea. I was a 2nd grade teacher for 6 years and have a master's in education. Surely parents will trust me with their child! Lol I just need to find the going rate in my area.

Some friends of mine do tutoring...depending on the subject you can make decent money.

I have done ALL of this and still have little left.

Ways I've cut down:

-I cut cable two years ago and only pay for Netflix ($8/mo).

-I don't have a landline, only two cell phones for my son and I. ($180/mo...I could probably cut back here when contract is up. It's hard now that most phones require a data plan.)

-I got my internet down from $50 to $25.

-I got my satellite radio down to $5/month and am going to cancel completely when the term ends.

-I got my CrossFit membership down from $108 to $48 a month. I may cancel completely when contract is up. (I know, I know. This one is a hard one to give up. It keeps me sane.)

-I cook all the time and bring lunch to work.

-I coupon clip, price match, and buy in bulk.

-I've significantly cut back on hair and nail salon visits. (Haven't had a cut since January and will not be touching up highlights when I do make my next appt.)

-I don't go to Starbucks anymore, but make my own coffee instead.

:(

Sounds good. $180 for the cell plan for both of you can probably be reduced more. For 3 people and an ipad, we pay around $160 on ATT. Does your employer offer a cell service discount? Also, ask your carrier about loyalty discounts.

• Author
Sounds good. $180 for the cell plan for both of you can probably be reduced more. For 3 people and an ipad, we pay around $160 on ATT. Does your employer offer a cell service discount? Also, ask your carrier about loyalty discounts.

Yes, I get a 25% discount with Verizon. My contract isn't up until February 2015, but I think I'm going to switch back to AT&T. After trying both of them, the service and coverage isn't any different in my area.

Isn't the OP looking for a 'work at home' job though? I wouldn't count waitressing/bartending in that :laugh: though I do know folks who got really good pay out of waitressing.

From my point of view, one of the better jobs for working at home is coding. The digital business is huge now, and there are new niches for programmers emerging all the time. If you manage to pick up a reasonably in-demand language and get good at it, there are plenty of contracts that involve working from home, from observation.

I was offered one of those during grad school, wasn't able to take it as it was in violation of the student visa I had at that time. But would have been a sweet deal if I'd been able to.

• Like 1
Have you tried this eternal sunshine or know anyone who has? I'm sketchy of internet/work from home jobs, as they are scams a lot of the time.

You have to be cautious and look into the details of the company and the site advertising them. Jobs on stackexchange, etc, are more likely to be viable. If it's a featured ad on your FB, don't even touch it. :p At a glance, the site ES posted looks viable. The job I was offered was from my university, so I knew it was fine.

You will know whether it is a scam when the paperwork arrives though. Also, scams usually require you to pay them first (otherwise they don't get anything out of it, since the first 2 weeks of someone's work is almost negligible in effect).

• Like 1