Should I Quit after one day?

Black Cement

Hi so i recently got laid off from my job. My moms friend said He would hire me as a Mover making $10 an hour. Not the type of job I'm use to but, I have no other choice.

So i work the first day on the job, and the workers bashed everything, from the job, to the boss, which is the guy who hired me. I had to drive those big moving trucks that are beat, holding on by duct tape, and only tops out at 11 MPH. They were saying how the boss is a cheap skate, & how someone who worked there for 7 years never got a raise from $10. This is backbreaking work for only 10 bucks, and if you get hurt, thats it, nothing they can do.

So the thing is I don't want to work for this guy after all the horror stories, but he's a friend of the family, and i have to see him once and a while. What should I tell them?

UpwardForward

His being a 'cheap skate' shouldn't matter to you.

Also there's a possibility workers were laying it on to you - hoping it would get back to him? :laugh:

Bottom line is, do you need the work enough to do the heavy lifting?

So the thing is I don't want to work for this guy after all the horror stories, but he's a friend of the family, and i have to see him once and a while. What should I tell them?

You tell them nothing.

Hunker down, do the best you can do in the mean time, and actively look for another job in your spare time.

Income is income, yes?

• Like 2
pink_sugar

I agree. I used to work for a guy no one liked and we all dealt with it unless another job was lined up. I was there 2 years, the guy was irritating at times and no one like him, but sometimes you are just going to have jobs and bosses like that. Suck it up until you find other work.

If you get hurt in the US (your profile says you are in Chicago), you are entitled to workers' compensation.

If the trucks are unsafe you can anonymously report the guy to OSHA. Various whistleblower laws will protect you from retaliation.

Meanwhile, I'd get a new job as fast as possible.

If the conditions are truly unsafe, I would go back to the guy, tell him the job is too physical for you, thanks for the opportunity but since you don't think you can do a good job for him you'd rather not disappoint. Don't leave him in the lurch but you don't have to stick around for unsafe conditions. You shouldn't quit, however, just because the other guys badmouth the boss. Maybe their lousy attitudes is why they haven't gotten a raise.

• Like 1