LoveShack.org Community Forums

Reload this Page LoveShack.org Community Forums > Platonic > Business and Professional Relationships

How far back do they check?

Business and Professional Relationships Networking and maintaining a positive environment in the work place is important! Surviving the 9-to-5 within.

Like Tree13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28th May 2014, 4:52 AM   #16
Established Member

The do care about employees lying though. Also it depends on the reason the person was fired.
d0nnivain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2014, 1:27 PM   #17
Established Member

In the OP's case, her friend doesn't have anything to worry about since the job was almost 20 years ago. She'll most likely only be required to list recent employment within the past 10 years. Imagine if every employer checked every single job one has had....it's just not feasible. If an employer has let you go with not one iota or clue why, how are you supposed to explain a termination when you have no clue why it happened or any idea it was coming? I mean, I can understand if you skipped work, were always late, cussed out your boss or coworker or etc. Usually they want to know details if it was an issue due to conduct and you blatantly lied. But deciding a position isn't a fit, or the company doesn't have the resources to continue your employment are something else entirely. I tell employers my last employer was having financial issues because it is the truth...it's the only thing I can think of considering my last day was the day they declared bankruptcy and gave me no reason whatsoever for letting me go. Even the HR lady told me she didn't know why and that it wasn't personal.

Last edited by pink_sugar; 28th May 2014 at 1:29 PM..
pink_sugar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2014, 8:14 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by d0nnivain View Post
The do care about employees lying though. Also it depends on the reason the person was fired.

Yes! They do care about lying, that is an art left for sales and politicians! So put it down, lay it on the line and tell them flat out you are a lair, heck now that I think about it, I'll lie about my gender
( sorry got carried away with that and had to find a positive spin)
Tayla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2014, 9:10 PM   #19
Established Member

A friend of mine was just fired from a major corporation. She asked HR what would be told to future employers and was told that the only info they give are the start date of employment and the end date. Nothing else.
stillafool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2014, 9:54 PM   #20
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillafool View Post
A friend of mine was just fired from a major corporation. She asked HR what would be told to future employers and was told that the only info they give are the start date of employment and the end date. Nothing else.
This^^^^^!!! I went through the same thing. My last job was at a mid-sized company and the HR lady was calling my immediate boss for verification. I did not want him to know I was looking for other work, so I told the HR lady at the time I did not want to use him as a reference. She said all they ask in verification is dates of employment, rate of pay, job title and whether or not you're eligible for re-hire.
Old 29th May 2014, 12:02 AM   #21
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNJ View Post
The rehire question is what I was concerned about
I think that is HR code for you were fired. Possibly that you were so horrible that even if you left, they'd never rehire you.

I knew a woman who had a sixth sense about when she was about to be fired because she'd job hunt like mad and land another job and quit. Made a great first impression. She went from job to job, leaving a trail of destruction in her wake but could honestly say she'd never been fired, just quit "because a better opportunity presented itself."
Old 29th May 2014, 2:01 AM   #22
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FitChick View Post
I think that is HR code for you were fired. Possibly that you were so horrible that even if you left, they'd never rehire you.

I knew a woman who had a sixth sense about when she was about to be fired because she'd job hunt like mad and land another job and quit. Made a great first impression. She went from job to job, leaving a trail of destruction in her wake but could honestly say she'd never been fired, just quit "because a better opportunity presented itself."
I've had several jobs that I probably wouldn't be rehired at. One simply because I gave less than 2 weeks notice. Unless every previous job says they wouldn't rehire you, there really isn't anything to worry about.
Old 29th May 2014, 4:55 AM   #23
Established Member

I think things are very different in Australia.

Re reference check, prospective employers can ask anything they want, from your personality traits to being fired to even number of sick days you had.

On the other hand, people here rarely get fired. Nobody I know ever got fired from a job....I almost think you would need to murder someone to get fired around here.
Old 29th May 2014, 12:43 PM   #24
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eternal Sunshine View Post
I think things are very different in Australia.

Re reference check, prospective employers can ask anything they want, from your personality traits to being fired to even number of sick days you had.

On the other hand, people here rarely get fired. Nobody I know ever got fired from a job....I almost think you would need to murder someone to get fired around here.
Only government jobs are like that in U.S. But Australia is so much better than U.S. in many ways.
Leigh 87 likes this.