How do you deal with being overestimated?

Eternal Sunshine

I feel like people at my current job are overestimating me. I have only been here for 3 weeks. I am being treated so well by all the bosses but I cringe when I am introduced as "an expert" and being told how lucky they are to have me.

In reality, my main project is in an area I am not that familiar with. I am doing a lot of reading in my spare time but I have no practical experience in it. I worry that I will eventually dissapoint them. I also worry that hiring me was a rush move. The hiring manager was due to take his leave so he was kind of in a rush to hire someone before he goes. Yes - the interview was a panel interview but he still was the one deciding. They had 40 applications and interviewed 5 people before picking me. The interview was also technical but I fear that just because I understand the concepts, they were somehow led to beleive that I have more experience in this than I really do.

I dunno, I wasn't dishonest in either my interview or CV but I really don't want to let these people down :/

You're still finding your feet in your new job so it is no wonder you feel a bit out of your depth at times but that does not mean you are not good enough. You just need time. As for the project you are working on well wouldn't it be boring if you were doing something that did not challenge you or gave you the opportunity to learn and develop new skills? That's one of the best (and most nerve wracking) things about new jobs.

You'll be fine ES :)

• Like 6

They probably aren't overestimating you. You are underestimating yourself. If they hired you then they think you can do this. Prove them right! :)

• Like 5
Art_Critic

They knew who they were hiring before they hired you..

They chose you because they felt you could do the job and do it better than anyone else.

There are also many other factors going into hiring and you are focusing on that one..

To borrow a phrase from an old time poster here "Go get 'em tiger"

• Like 5
How do you deal with being overestimated?

Enjoying the challenge of rising to the occasion. Quietly.

• Like 4
learning_slowly

Never happens. As you said you are reading up. I didn't know an area of à project they put me on. I bought how to do it in 24 hours and studied as soon as I finished work and allowed myself 6 hours sleep. After 4 days, I had enough knoŵledge to get by. Then I went at a more leisurely pace.

Sometimes you have to push yourself. If there is no book, is there training you can pay for? Can you pay somebody on linked in to train you?

There's always away to be the expert if you look for it.

P.s. I know lots of people who are in a role where they should know what they're doing and don't. It all depends if you will get caught out.

• Like 2

Just ask questions when needed and thank them for their guidance. You'll be fine. They are just pumping you up.

• Like 3
pink_sugar

I feel like this a little bit at my second job. I am learning so much and I feel like I will disappoint my boss if I don't work fast enough. However, I know I can do the job and I'm sure I can accomplish the tasks in said time. It's good to have challenges at work so you are always using your full potential. You can do this. Just keep telling yourself that instead of thinking you can't.

• Like 2
jellybean89

You can do it!

Read everything you can to help teach yourself!

It is usually much better to be overvalued than undervalued!

Go for it!

• Like 2