LoveShack.org Community Forums

Reload this Page LoveShack.org Community Forums > Platonic > Business and Professional Relationships

Working full time with a second job plus studying full time. Help!

Business and Professional Relationships Networking and maintaining a positive environment in the work place is important! Surviving the 9-to-5 within.

Like Tree290Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25th May 2014, 11:54 PM   #61
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leigh 87 View Post
Help guys.

I need tips on how to handle full time study and work.

And I mean full time.

I will not only be a live in nanny albeit in a very nice house/in a nice area and with a nice family (thankgod), BUT...I also got a job at a patisserie. They said they are going to work around my hours that I am available, which is during the day from 10 - 2, and weekends. I will also be volunteering for one hour per week/helping a child improve his reading. I love it.

So I get my evenings off from about 7 ish....I am a night owl so I was thinking to study from 7 until 11. Then cram study for 6 to 7 hours during my weekends since I have WEEKENDS OFF from the nanny job. I suppose that will be my time to study. Evenings and weekends. With work during the day and on days off from the patisserie gig I will study.

Should I have a small energy drink prior to study or will that hinder me form sleeping and in turn, make me TIRED and crazy the next day

Any tips?

I have been formerly lazy, living in a huge flat without my parents even living with me. They own it. I have lived here. I have never "had" to work before.
Uh...I don't think you'r gonna make it. This sounds very very tough to do & I know I cant handle it at all . I'm already worried about a 10-11 hour job in the future which is really too much for me so doing 3 things at once is a little bit over the top & I wont even try to do any of that stuff.
Old 26th May 2014, 12:22 AM   #62
Established Member

It's kind of like working out at the gym.

If you set too high of goals, and can't manage, you'll end up hurting yourself by burning out, being discouraged, and possibly imploding. Like ripping some muscle or busting a disc in your back to put you out of commission setting yourself back from all the gains that may were achieved.

On the other hand, if you've managed most of the stuff that you're trying to do, but incrementally to increase the burden by tacking on... lets say one more task-- it might be realistic and doable. Even so, adding just one more task could be the breaking point.

I had my share of past failures after being too ambitious. It's good to be realistic. You'll save yourself the grief later on.

Taking leaps too big had been my weakness. Now I try to do one more everyday.
Old 26th May 2014, 3:09 AM   #63
Established Member

And travel has made my life better.

For me, it does increase the quality of life.

I am happier in general because of my overseas travel.

Doing something you love even for 2 weeks a year does enhance your life.
jonsnuh likes this.
Old 26th May 2014, 3:20 AM   #64
Established Member

And good idea about increasing my load more gradually.

I am not starting t h 3 second job for another month or so.
Old 26th May 2014, 3:57 AM   #65
Established Member

Quote:
And travel has made my life better.

For me, it does increase the quality of life.

I am happier in general because of my overseas travel.

Doing something you love even for 2 weeks a year does enhance your life.
It'd be a very nice break from the monotonous droning we call life, to recharge one's batteries and opening our mind to the many delights the world has to offer. Even if it's a paid trip or to volunteer.

Who knows. One might just decide to move away permanently from this all to feed that hunger for adventure.
Old 26th May 2014, 7:48 AM   #66
Established Member

Are you being employed cash in hand or proper with tax file number and all that? I'd just be careful about your rights.have you signed a contract?

I know everything sounds like sunshine and roses right now, but you need to calm down! Lol. You need to start this job first and your degree and see how you feel. It's a pretty big commitment. Studying is hard. Working is hard. I was always tired in Uni. You need time to yourself to veg out. Are you going to have that at this house? Do you get a room to yourself?

Good luck. Living in Australia is pretty good. I managed to score a $75k job after my honours degree. May the employment Gods smile upon you.
Old 26th May 2014, 10:07 AM   #67
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonsnuh View Post
It's kind of like working out at the gym.

If you set too high of goals, and can't manage, you'll end up hurting yourself by burning out, being discouraged, and possibly imploding. Like ripping some muscle or busting a disc in your back to put you out of commission setting yourself back from all the gains that may were achieved.

On the other hand, if you've managed most of the stuff that you're trying to do, but incrementally to increase the burden by tacking on... lets say one more task-- it might be realistic and doable. Even so, adding just one more task could be the breaking point.

I had my share of past failures after being too ambitious. It's good to be realistic. You'll save yourself the grief later on.

Taking leaps too big had been my weakness. Now I try to do one more everyday.
Couldn't have said it better myself. My weakness in life is taking leaps too big too. My mind wants more than my body can handle. It even took 3 tries for the gym to stick (first 2 tries, years apart., I ended up hurting myself from over-doing it and had to give it up....this time - I went slowly ).
jonsnuh likes this.
Old 26th May 2014, 11:58 AM   #68
Established Member

Well I've given up energy drinks.

There are a few big lifestyle changes I need to make.....

I haven't been to a gym or worked on my health since I had an eating disorder. I like my curvy body type a lot and don't want to be thin again. However, I would love to feel healthier and function better.

I don't want to go for daily runs or eat a low calorie clean diet.. but I want to try to go for daily walks since I love listening to music and walking is my favorite time to do it.

Plus instead of living on energy drinks, cheese and cracked and pasta, I want to just eat more normal, balanced meals.

In order to fulfill my new dress of working full time as well as studying full time, I am thinking a lot more about how important it will be for me to be healthy and we'll rested.......

I don't want to my flawless gym junkie clean waiting body back. I would just LOVE to be healthy. My sleep sucks and often with I felt more well.

I would love my glowing, healthy skin back too.
Old 26th May 2014, 1:34 PM   #69
Established Member

My dad always said to me work hard when you're young and relax when you're old. I ignored it and partied a lot and now wish I had done more when I was younger. So go for it if you can do it.

However, bear in mind you will need some time to play!
And also some activities need you to be younger to do them e.g. alot of sports do have age limits due to limited joint strength etc.

So don't miss out on opportunities that may enrich your life too.
Leigh 87 likes this.
Old 26th May 2014, 9:37 PM   #70
Established Member

Wtf. ...

I just got a call from the patisserie. It's a new patisserie and they asked me of I would like to come in for a few hours to help get the place ready to open.

Are they going to pay me?

They better be.. It's a bit uncouth to expect me to travel nearly an hour there, negotiate a very difficult bus route (I had to make 3 phone calls because it is such a difficult place to get to), and all this for free?

I think they will pay me though.
Old 26th May 2014, 9:39 PM   #71
Established Member

They did ring today and asked last minute if i was available.

Of course I said yes. That's what you're supposed to do right? Bend over backwards to help your work out even if you may not get paid?
Old 26th May 2014, 9:58 PM   #72
Established Member

Quote:
Wtf. ...

I just got a call from the patisserie. It's a new patisserie and they asked me of I would like to come in for a few hours to help get the place ready to open.

Are they going to pay me?

They better be.. It's a bit uncouth to expect me to travel nearly an hour there, negotiate a very difficult bus route (I had to make 3 phone calls because it is such a difficult place to get to), and all this for free?

I think they will pay me though.
You don't have a car, to get around in?
Old 26th May 2014, 9:58 PM   #73
Established Member

Quote:

Of course I said yes. That's what you're supposed to do right? Bend over backwards to help your work out even if you may not get paid?
No, most people don't work for free.

What makes you think they won't pay you? Did you agree to an hourly rate when you took the job?
Old 27th May 2014, 12:11 AM   #74
Established Member

Quote:

Yes, you bend over backwards to let them know you're going to be a valuable employee from the get go. But no, you don't do it for free. You shouldn't even have to question that.

I thought you had a car?

Safe travels to you.
Old 27th May 2014, 1:09 AM   #75
Established Member

You should have clarified that you will be paid. You don't want to get taken advantage of.