LoveShack.org Community Forums

Reload this Page LoveShack.org Community Forums > Platonic > Business and Professional Relationships

Working full time with a second job plus studying full time. Help!

Business and Professional Relationships Networking and maintaining a positive environment in the work place is important! Surviving the 9-to-5 within.

Like Tree290Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25th May 2014, 12:50 PM   #46
Established Member

LOL I will be a nanny PLUS have a second job at a patisserie... and I will be able to afford overseas travel.

It's baffling that there are nurses, teachers and other professionals who never leave their country. Surely they can manage to save 5 K once in their lifetime for one overseas trip?

Waitresses and minimum wage earners in Australia can travel overseas if they save and work full time....and have a room mate or three it is very doable if you share rent among a few people...
Old 25th May 2014, 1:01 PM   #47
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leigh 87 View Post
LOL I will be a nanny PLUS have a second job at a patisserie... and I will be able to afford overseas travel.

It's baffling that there are nurses, teachers and other professionals who never leave their country. Surely they can manage to save 5 K once in their lifetime for one overseas trip?

Waitresses and minimum wage earners in Australia can travel overseas if they save and work full time....and have a room mate or three it is very doable if you share rent among a few people...
Leigh, have you even started any ONE of the activities tasks you've mentioned:

1) nanny job
2) patisserie
3) volunteering
4) correspondence courses

Why not get started and see how it goes, rather than make lofty predictions with a plate full of imaginary goods? Then report back.
Old 25th May 2014, 1:02 PM   #48
Established Member

Quote:

Is it possible for you to grasp that other people might have different priorities than you do? Some people have no interest in going overseas. They might prefer to spend their $5k on other things. I think generally most people who really want to travel will save up the money to do so, because it is a priority to them. If it's not a priority to them, they won't do it.

I also don't understand why you are - yet again - bashing the USA. You have no idea what you are talking about, and as someone else noted - we don't need your pity. Life is pretty great here!
Old 25th May 2014, 1:08 PM   #49
Unconfirmed Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by somedude81 View Post
The absolute most important thing to do in regards to getting your degree is knowing what jobs you can do with your degree. The jobs you can do must also be in demand.

The last thing you want to do is have a degree in something like archaeology where you will never find a job.

BTW: Your schedule sounds crazy. Good luck
As an archaeology major who cannot find a good job, I agree that you must be careful.

I like my degree. I love archaeology. I did something that made me happy.But it didn't do squat for my career.

As for the schedule, it's doable, but it's mostly trial and error. When I studied for my degree I also worked 2 jobs. It wasn't pleasant but I got it done.
Old 25th May 2014, 1:09 PM   #50
Established Member

Quote:

Why do you want to tell others how to spend their money??

I wanted an extremely small wedding, and 7 months later - we were able to purchase our first home. So when I was your age I was married with twins.

A husband, babies and a home were my priorities.

What is there not to understand, that people have different priorities.

And in reference to your other post: Those I know who travel - aren't anymore interesting. Just with different interests.
Old 25th May 2014, 1:13 PM   #51
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidwestUSA View Post
Leigh, have you even started any ONE of the activities tasks you've mentioned:

1) nanny job
2) patisserie
3) volunteering
4) correspondence courses

Why not get started and see how it goes, rather than make lofty predictions with a plate full of imaginary goods? Then report back.

I start in less than a week. I know exactly how much I will earn so I know what I can save for. To me it is thrilling to be able to save for things even as a student on a soon to be minimum wage job.

I start job two on a few weeks.

I am doing a correspondence course albeit just one, start full time with the changed degree on the 1st....

I feel very lucky that at least if I work hard at my jobs, I can save a LOT of money. I feel SO much better than if I would be working to merely put food on the table with absolutely no savings beyond that. It is great I can work and save without getting a degree/professional job, since most people need that sort of a job in order to save a penny.

Being able to save for things that give my life more meaning, such as overseas travel, will make working hard much more enjoyable.
Old 25th May 2014, 1:28 PM   #52
Established Member

I
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpwardForward View Post
Why do you want to tell others how to spend their money??

I wanted an extremely small wedding, and 7 months later - we were able to purchase our first home. So when I was your age I was married with twins.

A husband, babies and a home were my priorities.

What is there not to understand, that people have different priorities.

And in reference to your other post: Those I know who travel - aren't anymore interesting. Just with different interests.

I would like to get married and have kids in the next 10 years.

I plan on one last overseas trip, one nose job (it means a lot to me), and then I am going to save 100% towards a mortgage with a partner. I will save enough with the nanny job in one year for the nose job plus a brief overseas trip. Then I am going to save every penny towards a future. Kids and a mortgage.

My boyfriend saves 100% of his earnings towards his food, and then a house deposit. Together, in 3 years time, if I still have the nanny position, we can put a deposit down on a house/mortgage.

My own boyfriend isn't that into travel, he lived in the UK for a year or so and went to a few countries in Europe and that is it, he doesn't care if he never travels again although he is not ruling it out and says if I ever go on a trip later on in life he would happily come.

I suppose what I said came out wrong... I just personally would find my own life extremely dull if I had never travelled and if I didn't have all those experiences to think about and look forward to. Traveling gives me a high unlike anything other. Like when you fall in love. I cannot relate to people who opt to never leave their own country but I still have friends who have never left he country, I don't think they are too boring to be friends with, LOL.

I have travelled my whole life and so it has always been a big thing for me and it has largely shaped the my outlook on life. Life would be black and white for me personally, without overseas travel...

The thing I have a real grip with about the US is....it is a travesty that college students are in such debt, there is nothing wonderful about life for them, they need to be living with parents in order to ever get ahead in life. UNLESS they happened to do a degree/follow a career path that allowed them to earn the money to pay off their student loans.

Many students I spoke with over there in the USA cannot start a family. Ever. They have too much student debt, graduated a little later in their late 20s, and now do not have the option of even having one child due to only landing low to medium paid jobs after college and having too much student debt to warrant having a child. If I was in the USA I would never be able to save for a family. I would not get my nose job and I would never travel overseas again.

I can afford all those things here. In the USA I would have to work harder for those things than I will do here.

I don't see how any student who are not earning a good income after graduating could possibly be that happy with life.
Old 25th May 2014, 1:28 PM   #53
Established Member

Quote:
Anyone with an average paying job can travel overseas far away once in their lifetime. Like a lot more.

Yet people who don't opt to leave their country ever, no offence, tend to be more boring to me.

Travelling brings such a rich experience to those who prioritize their earnings to accommodate it, that not doing so really lessens their life experience.

I don't look down on people who don't opt to travel, I just DO NOT relate to them.

I cannot understand why a person in a first world country would neve travel.

Return tickets are as little as 1500 from Syd to Los Angeles for crying out loud. Everyone medium income earner who has saved for years can afford that plus 2 weeks budget accommodation....
You actually ARE looking down on people that don't want to travel. Why the hell would I want to save money for years for 2 weeks of traveling? No thanks, I'll just open an issue of NatGeo, and have a year and a half worth of fun on that several years worth of pay, rather than just two weeks.

Other than the fun, traveling will not improve your life at all. It won't provide you with an education . It won't give you a job that pays more. It won't earn you respect from your peers. So why are you casting so much pity on people who have no interst in wasting money?

I find it very interesting that you claim to know so much about who can live on what salary and what they can save money for and what their priorities should be. If I remeevr correctly, you've lived at your parents your whole life without even needing to have a job.

You have a very romanticized view of the world as a whole, and you'll find out in the next few years that the world isn't all butterflies and unicorns like you think it is. Its really tough out there.

Not to bring you down or anything , but I don't think your going to be able to have these jobs, do school, and accomplish your current goals simultaneously. It will be too much for you to handle all at once.

I hope you prove me wrong.
Through victory my chains are broken. The force shall free me.
Old 25th May 2014, 1:50 PM   #54
Established Member

Quote:
I

The thing I have a real grip with about the US is....it is a travesty that college students are in such debt, there is nothing wonderful about life for them, they need to be living with parents in order to ever get ahead in life. UNLESS they happened to do a degree/follow a career path that allowed them to earn the money to pay off their student loans.

Many students I spoke with over there in the USA cannot start a family. Ever. They have too much student debt, graduated a little later in their late 20s, and now do not have the option of even having one child due to only landing low to medium paid jobs after college and having too much student debt to warrant having a child. If I was in the USA I would never be able to save for a family. I would not get my nose job and I would never travel overseas again.

I can afford all those things here. In the USA I would have to work harder for those things than I will do here.

I don't see how any student who are not earning a good income after graduating could possibly be that happy with life.
Obviously they Choose to do the college thing.

I started working office jobs at 18 yrs. At 26 (before my babies were born) I was an assistant auditor for Fluor Engineering. I got the job because prior I had worked several different office jobs, so they thought I would be a good candidate for assisting audit of different departments.

No student loans for me to carry over. Just income.
Old 25th May 2014, 1:51 PM   #55
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpwardForward View Post
Obviously they Choose to do the college thing.

I started working office jobs at 18 yrs. At 26 (before my babies were born) I was an assistant auditor for Fluor Engineering. I got the job because prior I had worked several different office jobs, so they thought I would be a good candidate for assisting audit of different departments.

No student loans for me to carry over. Just income.
Pretty close to my situation. Started in a mailroom. Moved into data entry. Switched companies into bill review and processing. 60 days later I'm now a workers comp claims assistant.

No school. No loans. Just hard work.
Old 25th May 2014, 2:02 PM   #56
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoe View Post
As an archaeology major who cannot find a good job, I agree that you must be careful.

I like my degree. I love archaeology. I did something that made me happy.But it didn't do squat for my career.

As for the schedule, it's doable, but it's mostly trial and error. When I studied for my degree I also worked 2 jobs. It wasn't pleasant but I got it done.
Ah, that's why archaeology major was in my head.

There is a guy I'm thinking of who majored in History or Arabic, and he hasn't been able to find work at all.

The major can be very important.

Especially if one has student loans. I feel really bad for somebody who has over 50K in student loan debt and is unable to find a job.
Old 25th May 2014, 3:48 PM   #57
Established Member

Quote:
I start in less than a week. I know exactly how much I will earn so I know what I can save for. To me it is thrilling to be able to save for things even as a student on a soon to be minimum wage job.

I start job two on a few weeks.

I am doing a correspondence course albeit just one, start full time with the changed degree on the 1st....

I feel very lucky that at least if I work hard at my jobs, I can save a LOT of money. I feel SO much better than if I would be working to merely put food on the table with absolutely no savings beyond that. It is great I can work and save without getting a degree/professional job, since most people need that sort of a job in order to save a penny.

Being able to save for things that give my life more meaning, such as overseas travel, will make working hard much more enjoyable.
If I can ask, what do you do right now? What are you giving up to take on these new jobs?

One correspondence course can't take up too much time, can it?
Old 25th May 2014, 10:27 PM   #58
Established Member

My God Leigh, you go on and on and on and on about your life. How can you stand it? I think you've written a novel by now. Do you have a deep psychological urge to talk about yourself as much as possible?

I think we gotta stop giving you exhaustive consultations on every minutia of your existence. What is this, The Bold and the Beautiful?

Last edited by Bumaga vsyo sterpit; 25th May 2014 at 10:29 PM..
Old 25th May 2014, 11:15 PM   #59
Established Member

I want to work while I also get at least one degree under my belt, because I personally don't see me getting too far without some degree or qualification/

Where I live, most office jobs don't consider you without a degree.

Trust me, there are too few options for women my age without a degree OR at leats a diploma or two and connections....I cannot even get a job as a receptionist or secretary as they expect.. no *****, ALL reception/secretary jobs I have ever applied for DEMANDED you have at least 2 - 5 years experience in the SAME job....

I could not even get an interview to be a house keeper because I have never previously worked as one.

There are TOO MANY unskilled workers in Australia ALL going for waitress/food server and retail work. College students and workers who don't want to go to college ALL APPLY for those jobs, it is INSANE. So yeah you cannot just walk into a café, restaurant or retail outlet, dress nicely, and ask of they are looking for new staff. IT IS SO NOT LIKE THAT in 2014 where I live!

Trust me, it is AMAZING that I even got this full time job! I got it because I am good with kids, the families kids took a liking to me, and the family thought I was a nice and friendly, reliable girl.

I am even more thrilled that while I work full time, I have a shot at bettering my education and qualification portfolio... I can work on getting myself more options, while I also work hard to earn money in the first place.

The degree will merely open more doors for me, maybe not even in the field that I am passionate about initially, but I know for a FACT that more places will at least interview me once I have a degree, opposed to NOW when literally NO companies interview me besides cafes, restaurants, and retail outlets.

Trust me, the vast majority of people who do not "know someone" MUST have a degree or diploma under their belt to even be considered for most jobs that are not sales/commission based...... And for secretarial and reception work, you MUST have experience before they will even interview you, the competition here is MORE fierce than people realise...

I am under no illusions that it will be easy going from no work to full time work AND full time study.

It is worth it though, this is the BEST thing that I can aspire for! To work full time and also study towards even better opportunities.

I may have to quit the second job. I think I can do it though.
Old 25th May 2014, 11:18 PM   #60
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidwestUSA View Post
If I can ask, what do you do right now? What are you giving up to take on these new jobs?

One correspondence course can't take up too much time, can it?

I am mentally preparing myself, it is a big deal to go from part time work and part time study, to full time study and full time work.

I am also asking for all the tips and advice that I can, from others who worked full time whilst they studied.

I volunteer once a week and am studying for exams for my one course.