Working full time with a second job plus studying full time. Help!

Help guys.

I need tips on how to handle full time study and work.

And I mean full time.

I will not only be a live in nanny albeit in a very nice house/in a nice area and with a nice family (thankgod), BUT...I also got a job at a patisserie. They said they are going to work around my hours that I am available, which is during the day from 10 - 2, and weekends. I will also be volunteering for one hour per week/helping a child improve his reading. I love it.

So I get my evenings off from about 7 ish....I am a night owl so I was thinking to study from 7 until 11. Then cram study for 6 to 7 hours during my weekends since I have WEEKENDS OFF from the nanny job. I suppose that will be my time to study. Evenings and weekends. With work during the day and on days off from the patisserie gig I will study.

Should I have a small energy drink prior to study or will that hinder me form sleeping and in turn, make me TIRED and crazy the next day:lmao:

Any tips?

I have been formerly lazy, living in a huge flat without my parents even living with me. They own it. I have lived here. I have never "had" to work before.

• Author

I have to volunteer once a week for that hour, as I am doing a diploma of youth work which is essentially volunteering for 400 hours and then doing some easy work, it doesn't involve very academic writing and I can do it in my University holidays.....

SO I wont touch the diploma work until my breaks off from University. I will just do the volunteering component.

Not many people like to hear it where caffeine is concerned, but caffeine is just like any other drug stimulant -- it makes you energetic briefly and then it makes you sluggish in the morning.

I drank caffeine my whole life, and my whole life I was sluggish in the mornings and not worth a damn until I had my caffeine. I wanted to sleep all morning. Then I went on a structured diet that made you leave caffeine behind, so I did that. Within two months, I was no longer sluggish and tired in the morning. I would wake up feeling much more alert and wake up earlier and not feel I "needed" something to wake up. It also lessened my anxiety levels and made me a better sleeper in general.

Caffeine is a drug that makes you crash afterward. I advise to get through this period, you give up caffeine entirely. I promise you'll do much better that way. I am old and work two jobs, so I know what it's like. You need to not have anything you're dependent on.

• Like 3
creighton0123

If you're going to do all of this, you need to do so intelligently.

I might suggest that 4 hours a night of studying is overkill. If you need to study that much, you're doing it wrong.

I say that as a double major + minor from my college time in Computer Science, Religion, and English Literature from Boston University. With that full course load and a job, I only ever had to study 2 to 3 hours a night.

You'll need to have some stuff done for you. If you're wasting two hours on the weekend doing laundry, consider dropping it off at a laundromat to have them do it for you.

On the weekend, make sure not to cram at home. Go somewhere nice to study, otherwise you will drive yourself crazy and get cabin fever.

Also, set aside an hour or two on the weekend for down time.

You'll be having a full plate, but it is manageable as long as you take care of yourself and don't get overly stressed.

• Like 1
pink_sugar
Not many people like to hear it where caffeine is concerned, but caffeine is just like any other drug stimulant -- it makes you energetic briefly and then it makes you sluggish in the morning.

I drank caffeine my whole life, and my whole life I was sluggish in the mornings and not worth a damn until I had my caffeine. I wanted to sleep all morning. Then I went on a structured diet that made you leave caffeine behind, so I did that. Within two months, I was no longer sluggish and tired in the morning. I would wake up feeling much more alert and wake up earlier and not feel I "needed" something to wake up. It also lessened my anxiety levels and made me a better sleeper in general.

Caffeine is a drug that makes you crash afterward. I advise to get through this period, you give up caffeine entirely. I promise you'll do much better that way. I am old and work two jobs, so I know what it's like. You need to not have anything you're dependent on.

Damn, you really answered all my questions without my asking. I never knew why I was sluggish in the morning until now...even when I've had enough sleep. I feel like I've just had an epiphany. :laugh:

• Author

Ok.

I am giving up energy drinks.

I have wantedto gget healthier for years and giving up those god awful drinks is a small albeit helpful start.

• Author

My degree is a low grad one as it's only two and a half years long and I don't need to learn any theory or difficult concepts.

So 3 hours a night every day including weekends sounds like a part time degree?

• Author

Sigh, people seem to think you can just go in and make a decent living without a degree.

They say unless you do a "hard" degree, with hard math or science for instance as in engineering, business, IT, computer science, food science, chartered accounting, marketing OR the non math law degree, that it is POINTLESS getting ANY OTHER degree and you may as well just get into retail or sales and work your way up. :sick:

Why is it pointless to want to work directly with people that are disadvantaged on a daily basis and try to link them to services/improve their lives? You still make enough working in community development and as a social worker to pay the bills, take out a mortgage and not starve or live in a total dump.

I don't understand why people are short sighted enough to think an unskilled person like myself can just walk into a 40 - 50 K job. Yeah RIGHT. Only a select few individuals have the business mind to excel without tertiary education! I AM NOT one of them. I need to pick my passion and select a path, with the help of a career counsellor, that has a high rate of landing jobs, has a growing industry..

I basically picked what I was passionate about and took the path I needed that is the MOST likely path to result in employment in that field.

I am not sure why people assume there is any other way to achieving your dreams other than hard work and luck/opportunity?

• Author

I cannot imagine working towards anything other than what I feel strongly about and have a purpose in doing?

somedude81

The absolute most important thing to do in regards to getting your degree is knowing what jobs you can do with your degree. The jobs you can do must also be in demand.

The last thing you want to do is have a degree in something like archaeology where you will never find a job.

For women, that is more acceptable as long as the husband has a real job that can support both of them.

BTW: Your schedule sounds crazy. Good luck :)

• Like 1
SammySammy

I have no problem with you pursuing your passion. Do what you love, do it well and the financial rewards will follow. It may take more time in some fields and situations, but I believe it's difficult to become truly successful without doing something that you love.

Avoid the energy drinks.

I also worked full-time while in college. At times, I had two part time jobs and often worked 40 to 60 hours a week between them. My senior year, I was fortunate to land a full-time night shift job. I was able to complete my work in about 4 hours which left me 4 hours to study.

I looked at working full-time while going to college as a blessing because it forced me to make the best use of my time. Forced me to be focused, organized and disciplined. I seemed to get the best grades when I was the most busy because that's also when I was the most focused and productive.

Pay attention to what works and doesn't work for you and adjust accordingly. I don't think any of us can tell you what will work for you and what won't other than generic suggestions like being focused, organized, disciplined and consistent. Just know that you can be very successful academically while working and those time management skills you learn will be helpful later.

Good luck! :)

Leigh

How will this patisserie job work out when the kids are not in school during holidays etc. Won't you be expected to take care of them then?

As for the rest of your schedule. You need to build in some time out. You cannot be working or studying all day, every day without burning yourself out.

• Author
The absolute most important thing to do in regards to getting your degree is knowing what jobs you can do with your degree. The jobs you can do must also be in demand.

The last thing you want to do is have a degree in something like archaeology where you will never find a job.

For women, that is more acceptable as long as the husband has a real job that can support both of them.

BTW: Your schedule sounds crazy. Good luck :)

I am getting the community development degree then a masters in social work.

I made sure it was a booming industry, employment wise, before signing up.

It won't likely be hard to get employment in the actual field fairly early on after graduating, but the pay won't be good until several years down the track ONCE you have worked your way up into management which is only really possible with ADDITIONAL diplomas or an additional masters degree.

Or you could always work 10 plus years and hope to pave the pathway into a more senior position however, working harder and acquiring another qualification or two within a 4 year process will enable me to move up in the ranks and get a better salary.

But yeah, my area of passion has a lot of jobs on offer, lol, cos NO ONE ELSE WANTS TO DO my future job, LOL.

Taking kids away from parents? It is not everyone's cup of tea....Not to mention very unsafe in rough areas. Although Australia isn't as bad as the US.

• Like 1
  • Author
Leigh

How will this patisserie job work out when the kids are not in school during holidays etc. Won't you be expected to take care of them then?

As for the rest of your schedule. You need to build in some time out. You cannot be working or studying all day, every day without burning yourself out.

They said to call them to arrange the hours I am available. They work around our availability as long as we give them a few weeks warning, which they really appreciate.

Not sure if I am even needed in school holidays, we didn't discus how often they needed me in those situations MINUS the school runs....

You mean you have still not discussed the job requirements in full? Seriously Leigh you need to have that conversation as an absolute priority. You are going to be living in their house and you must all be absolutely clear on what falls within your duties. It's not like other jobs where you actually get away from the workplace at the end of the day. I am afraid to say that I am still skeptical about the amount you are being paid plus accommodation etc for the small amount of work you describe. It does not stack up.

• Like 1
  • Author
You mean you have still not discussed the job requirements in full? Seriously Leigh you need to have that conversation as an absolute priority. You are going to be living in their house and you must all be absolutely clear on what falls within your duties. It's not like other jobs where you actually get away from the workplace at the end of the day. I am afraid to say that I am still skeptical about the amount you are being paid plus accommodation etc for the small amount of work you describe. It does not stack up.

I have read the complete job description.

And they cover my rent plus 150 to 180 per week, that is not that much money and doesn't really amount to even a minimum wage full time job, which is 20 dollars per hour here.

Child care is very pricey here! They are saving crap loads of money having me live with them! They may be paying for my rent/living expenses plus giving me the 150 - 180 every week, but that is NOT a full time salary in Australia and yet I will be working weekdays.

I am not doing little work for what I get paid...

I get up at 8, drop the kids off at school/preschool, have 9.30 when I arrive home until 2.30 when I leave to pick kids up again to .. study and work my patisserie job.

I have from 7 in the evening off and in between then I just need to supervise the kids and help with dinner, she was very specific in that she wanted an extra HAND, not a total helper to do it FOR her.

I will be working for every penny, I am not getting a free ride. I just enjoy the work as I have experience in it and it is not.... a chore for me to do, it is the most ideal job I can think of doing until I graduate and get the degree that will enable me to get jobs other than this current position...

I didn't say you were getting a free ride Leigh :)

However the way you detail your day, I am still unclear how many hours a day you are expected to be looking after/supervising the children. You do need to clarify what happens when the schools are closed for holidays. There will be no school runs but the children will be at home all day. I can't believe they won't expect you to work then.

Edit: when calculating your pay, you should also consider the cost of accommodation and living expenses. That means you are earning a whole lot more than the cash amount received.

• Author

The additional 200 per week is a government incentive where all students who are not skilled, get welfare assistance to the value of 200 dollars per week, to assist them, since we are mostly unskilled and cannot earn much money without qualifications.

This nanny gig even with my living expenses is still WELL UNDER the Aussie minimum wage! I will never be able to ... save for a mortgage, afford health insurance which I am not getting through my current work, or save for any sort of a future with this current job.

With no skills there is no future. Besides poverty. I think it is great that our government gives people help if they are actively showing it is only TEMPORARY help, while THEY strive to better themselves and put themselves in a position where they do not NEED tax payer money. If you are unemployed and NOT studying towards getting employed work? Our government gives you zero welfare for 6 months, so no food in your belly unless you sign up for full time study,

So that is where the 200 comes from, plus the 150 to 180 this family pay me per week.

That is just what Australia stands for. Students with out the skills needed to gain the employment that will sufficiently support them, get help. But only IF we are legitimately working towards gaining better employment prospects.

I know you don't like students getting and outs, but plenty of people think it is fair. Since we lack the skills. If I get kicked out of this job which I am sure I will excel in, I would have nothing if it wasn't for government help. Students don't tend to have very good jobs or any security here. No savings left over for a rainy day, should they get fired.

You are accusing me of things I have not said. Not impressed at all. All I am trying to is help you not be taken advantage of yet you have started to attack me re the government funding you get which has not even been mentioned in this thread (or ever by me).

:mad:

• Like 3
  • Author
I didn't say you were getting a free ride Leigh :)

However the way you detail your day, I am still unclear how many hours a day you are expected to be looking after/supervising the children. You do need to clarify what happens when the schools are closed for holidays. There will be no school runs but the children will be at home all day. I can't believe they won't expect you to work then.

Edit: when calculating your pay, you should also consider the cost of accommodation and living expenses. That means you are earning a whole lot more than the cash amount received.

Oh okay, misunderstanding then lolz.

I am probably on the equivalent to Aussie minimum wage which is nearly 32K per year: when you count my living expenses that are being funded by the family that live in a nice house in a nice district, the 150 - 180 per week AND the 200 weekly student allowance. PLUS the new job I am about to do a couple of days a week at a patisserie during the day PLUS once every month event work on the weekend evenings.

It is common for minimum wage earners in the US to need to rely on somewhat on welfare so I am no different. I have no skills really but skills that are needed to study towards a better future.

Well I thought it was a good deal. For ME. Obviously I am good with kids and I genuinely thrive off that type of role. Or else I would go nuts working those hours in a job I detested....I like being able to live in Sydney at last on my own accord without parental help. It means a lot to me, since it is one of the worlds most expensive cities to reside in and frankly, when I work full time I will be struggling to take out a mortgage in Sydney. If it works out between my bf and I we are looking to buy over one hour away from Sydney and make the commute via train daily like thousands of other business people...

I really like Sydney as I was born there and my mums family always lived in the "nice" areas and I always wished I had the finances to live there, so as a student I am especially grateful and excited about having a chance to live in a phenomenally costly city.

I am also 2 hours close to my long distance boyfriend:bunny:

So you make a good point when you consider that they are paying for me to also have a nice lifestyle. Which in turn, lifts your mood and makes the overall quality of life better than if you lived in a dump that was rat infested....

• Author
You are accusing me of things I have not said. Not impressed at all. All I am trying to is help you not be taken advantage of yet you have started to attack me re the government funding you get which has not even been mentioned in this thread (or ever by me).

:mad:

:(sorry:o

I never thought you were alluding to me ripping off the system or getting a free ride! I actually appreciate your comments and think it is sweet of you to be looking out for my best interest:o

I am just .. so used to being attacked by Americans on here for accepting Welfare when I wouldn't starve without it. I was trying to get more people up to speed on how Australia works, people at this stage typically come in and say " Leigh 87 why are you accepting more money when you don't "need it" to live?"

I was trying to just outline that the 200 a week is for people on minimum age or bellow minimum wage.

Without the assistance, I would be well bellow minimum wage. The assistance JUST puts me on the line of the Aussie minimum wage.

Your schedule is doable, but you will have no social life.

Your life will consist of work, school, and sleep and it won't be fun. You will begin to feel like a work/study robot because that's all you'll do.

I didn't go out much in college because I worked all the time. And when I wasn't working, I was in class or preparing for class or doing an internship. I didn't get to do fun stuff like travel because I had to work to support myself--sometimes more than one job.

Honestly, it wasn't that bad, but I'm someone who likes being busy. You'll appreciate breaks from school, a lot.

The good thing is, school only lasts a few years. See what you can handle. You might have to give up volunteering or the second job. I had friends in college who worked nanny jobs and they always had a lot time to do their schoolwork during the day.

regine_phalange

The entire last year I spent working 9:00-18:00, then 18:15-21:00 I had classes. Then I got home at 22:00 I still had to prepare my dinner, take my shower, and study until 0:00 or so.

I will not lie. It was a very hard year. But some things thar really helped me were:

- I had a very detailed timetable. Very boring, but effective. For instance, I knew that I would wake up at 7:00, eat breakfast and take a shower, get ready, prepare my tupperware for the day, and leave home at 8. Then I was at work and school, and then I got back home at 22:00. At home, I knew that I had to cook food in the oven while I was taking a shower, and then study for at least one hour.

- The shower was the key in taking the tiredness away. I think if I did yoga back then, it would realy help ith my energy levels.

- I could only shop for groceries in the weekends. So I had to have a plan about what I was going to eat that week and then buy the items.

- I found out that white carbs, caffeine and sugar are awful when you need energy. Awful, awful, awful. Choose whole grains, protein, fruit. And some green tea, if you need a boost. Coffee makes me vey nervous, so I avoid it.

- Be careful of your health and take care of Leigh. If you see any physical symptoms, slow down. I remember I started having eyelid myokymia daily, for half a day. It was nothing serious, but really annoying, and a sign that I was overworking.

- Go out and have fun in every possible chance. It helped me very much to relax a little bit, especially on weekends.

• Like 1
  • Author

anne1707 - fantastic! It seems everyone here is American... They go as far as to type in " northeast Ohio" in their "location", as if they expect everyone to be from America? When it is an international forum?

I feel so sorry for students in the USA, they graduate and then they have HORRIFIC loans to pay back, and unless they pay them back immediately they ruin their credit. New graduates there never go overseas for many years after they graduate cos they are CRIPPLED in student dept. Where as my degree is only 14 K, we do not have to pay it back right away or unless we earn over 50K, and SO MANY students travel overseas because our government helps us out.

I would be very depressed graduating and then knowing that I still had no overseas holidays or fun things to look forward to for MANY years to come!

There is an epidemic of students over there having to live at home because frankly, it is way too hard to make ends meat over there in the USA for new graduates. How are they supposed to pay back thousands a month of student loans, pay rent (they would just not be able to save anything for a mortgage unless they lived with parents..)

Iris - I am 27 and I have gotten my partying days out of my system and don't miss them. I am totally averse to most alcohol and can only drink wine, beer or cider. I literally HATE all other forms of alcohol:lmao: My boyfriend is in the same life stage as me, so I will get weekends off to stay with him, especially now that he lives closer to me....He works in Sydney 3 days a week so our plan is to meet once per week for lunch, and then I will stay with him most weekends at his place....

As the other poster said, I tend to do better when I have more to do as it makes me far more time efficient and I FEEL so much better about myself when I work/work I study full time.

I will stick to ONE hour a week volunteering and I will do my diploma on university breaks, and a non demanding degree all year around.

I mean that doesn't sound all that hectic right?

And surely I will grow as a person in doing this compared to lazing about at home, not working and just merely studying a few hours a day.