LoveShack.org Community Forums

Reload this Page LoveShack.org Community Forums > Platonic > Business and Professional Relationships

Admin to Corporate Training Resume Revision...

Business and Professional Relationships Networking and maintaining a positive environment in the work place is important! Surviving the 9-to-5 within.

Old 21st May 2014, 11:13 AM   #1
Established Member

Admin to Corporate Training Resume Revision...

Hi everyone,

I've got several years of experience in admin but want to get into corporate training. Through my current job I've been able to acquire what I can comfortably present on a resume as a year of solid experience in systems and sales training. Most entry level positions ask for 1 - 3 yrs of current relevant experience, so I can meet the minimum qualification on that point.

But I'm not sure what to do about my previous jobs on the resume. Sure, there are some tasks and skills from each of them that are useful in being a trainer, but those tasks made up maybe 10% of my other jobs. So really all my relevant experience comes from this job.

My current resume follows the functional format and I've had a lot of success with it. But I think that's because I have the admin work history to back up breaking down my skill areas like that. If I try a functional resume for a trainer job I'm afraid it will be too sparse. On the other hand, a traditional chronological resume will be a dead giveaway that I mostly only have training experience in my current position and that really most of my background is in admin. None of my job titles hint at anything that could be construed as an official training position either (I've got admin asst, mailer, dept. rep, CS operator, and student intern :-/). So should I stick with functional, go with chrono, or try a different approach?

I just found a trainer job posted 2 days ago in my city of residence. If I word this resume right I really think I have a strong shot at getting a callback. Any opinions or advice, especially from folks with HR or recruiting background, would really be appreciated.

Thanks for reading.
Old 21st May 2014, 1:35 PM   #2
Established Member

I would arrange it in a way so the most relevant experience goes on top. The rest can be organized however you see fit. In your objective, you can clearly state you are looking to transition your career and gain more experience in field X.
pink_sugar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2014, 12:48 PM   #3
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pink_sugar View Post
I would arrange it in a way so the most relevant experience goes on top. The rest can be organized however you see fit. In your objective, you can clearly state you are looking to transition your career and gain more experience in field X.
Hadn't occurred to me to explicitly mention an intent to transition in the profile, thanks.
Almond_Joy is offline   Reply With Quote