pink_sugar

So the purpose of my thread is to ask recruiters how much a referral reflects on an existing employee. The reason I ask is that my uncle is out of work and he happens to be in the same field of work my husband is in, trucking. My uncle is looking for a local route position rather than long haul and my husband was mentioning to my dad how there is an opening at his work, though the pay isn't much and it would be a 1.5 hour commute for my uncle each way. Needless to say, I wasn't happy my husband mentioned this, because neither of us have gotten along with my uncle. We haven't spoken in several years because he's still offended that he wasn't invited to our wedding. (long story and good reasoning.) Part of that reason is his attitude with people and something he said to my husband when he met him that was way out of line. Anyways, I pulled my husband aside and told him it's really not a good idea...not only because we haven't spoken to him in years and not on good terms, but my Uncle is a hot head and has had issues in the past when it comes to getting along with people in the workplace. I told him not only would the referral reflect on him should my Uncle get fired for something, but also does he really want to work with him and see him routinely? The words are out though and my dad is asking me details for his brother. I'm probably going to tell him that my husband just found out the position was filled. My dad thinks this referral will make my Uncle drop the grudge, but that's still not a good reason to jeopardize your job. My husband enjoys his job, though it doesn't pay much and it's not easy for him to find other work. You should only refer people you know will do a good job at the workplace. If you cannot provide a good reference, you shouldn't refer them.

UpwardForward
So the purpose of my thread is to ask recruiters how much a referral reflects on an existing employee. The reason I ask is that my uncle is out of work and he happens to be in the same field of work my husband is in, trucking. My uncle is looking for a local route position rather than long haul and my husband was mentioning to my dad how there is an opening at his work, though the pay isn't much and it would be a 1.5 hour commute for my uncle each way. Needless to say, I wasn't happy my husband mentioned this, because neither of us have gotten along with my uncle. We haven't spoken in several years because he's still offended that he wasn't invited to our wedding. (long story and good reasoning.) Part of that reason is his attitude with people and something he said to my husband when he met him that was way out of line. Anyways, I pulled my husband aside and told him it's really not a good idea...not only because we haven't spoken to him in years and not on good terms, but my Uncle is a hot head and has had issues in the past when it comes to getting along with people in the workplace. I told him not only would the referral reflect on him should my Uncle get fired for something, but also does he really want to work with him and see him routinely? The words are out though and my dad is asking me details for his brother. I'm probably going to tell him that my husband just found out the position was filled. My dad thinks this referral will make my Uncle drop the grudge, but that's still not a good reason to jeopardize your job. My husband enjoys his job, though it doesn't pay much and it's not easy for him to find other work. You should only refer people you know will do a good job at the workplace. If you cannot provide a good reference, you shouldn't refer them.

Your husband was probably just trying to help someone in need and w/o thinking.

But imo, your last two sentences are true.

I'd keep everything in the open. Tell your father your husband enjoys and values his job, and you are afraid the uncle may screw up because of his attitude, and mess up your H's standing w the company.

Also if H finds out uncle has applied, he should ask HR or personnel if they consider 'referral' or family in decisions to hire. (Some companies do value or consider family in hiring decisions). If so, I would ask HR to consider uncle only according to his prev references, experience, etc.

• Like 1
  • Author
pink_sugar
Your husband was probably just trying to help someone in need and w/o thinking.

But imo, your last two sentences are true.

I'd keep everything in the open. Tell your father your husband enjoys and values his job, and you are afraid the uncle may screw up because of his attitude, and mess up your H's standing w the company.

Also if H finds out uncle has applied, he should ask HR or personnel if they consider 'referral' or family in decisions to hire. (Some companies do value or consider family in hiring decisions). If so, I would ask HR to consider uncle only according to his prev references, experience, etc.

I did mention to my dad my concerns during this discussion, but he doesn't think there is any concern. However, I think he is just thinking about getting his brother a job, period, rather than thinking about possible ramifications based on history. He and my husband have never had the best relationship either, so I cannot rely on my dad to consider his interests...but I don't think that he's thinking that if my husband were to lose his job, that would have a major affect on me as well.

UpwardForward
I did mention to my dad my concerns during this discussion, but he doesn't think there is any concern. However, I think he is just thinking about getting his brother a job, period, rather than thinking about possible ramifications based on history. He and my husband have never had the best relationship either, so I cannot rely on my dad to consider his interests...but I don't think that he's thinking that if my husband were to lose his job, that would have a major affect on me as well.

Yes from what you've said in your op, it appears your father is only thinking of getting his brother a 'job'. But at least you put it out there to him.

• Author
pink_sugar

My dad sent me a message today asking for more info. How should I respond?

MuscleCarFan

I just told Pink to tell her dad that the position was filled so I don't have to work with the guy, lol.