LoveShack.org Community Forums

Reload this Page LoveShack.org Community Forums > Platonic > Business and Professional Relationships

Terminated Because a Married Coworker Had a Crush On Me?

Business and Professional Relationships Networking and maintaining a positive environment in the work place is important! Surviving the 9-to-5 within.

Like Tree13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29th May 2014, 9:23 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderowl View Post
I'm stunned to hear that someone can be fired in the US because another colleague is attracted to them. How totally unfair? It's unbelievable that this is legal. It must be discriminatory because by sacking one colleague and not the other, one is blaming one more than the other. I'd be amazed if this could stand up in court. What kind of legal system does the US have?
In keeping in mind the OP's situation, here in US we have various justice systems, based on demographics and economic arena. The OP'S scenario is somewhat common in the fact that firing at will is just that, jobs are not guaranteed (unless a contract prevails), so any employer can randomly dismiss. The line is only drawn on federal regulations of race, creed, gender, age and mental/physical impediments.
So basically if you have a crush, and it doesn't fall under the federal forbidden list as referenced, all is fair then.
What may seem to be "unfair" to one, may be completely fair to another. Keep in mind I agree with your perspective, yet our system doesn't deal in fairness, it deals with the written laws. Employers cannot fire a mentally unstable co worker because they are protected under the "mental impediment" clause, which is in part why we have work place shootings and disgruntled workers. The hostile environment is protected, its a double edge sword for employers. I hope this changes as the safety of the mass's should take precendence over the ailment of an singular employee.
Tayla is offline   Reply With Quote