Has something like this ever happened to you before?

purplesoccer34

I've been working at a place for a few months, and just yesterday, the HR manager approached me. I have two bosses, and she said that both of my bosses were not happy with a certain part of my performance. She said that they both liked me as a person, but that I needed to fix a few things. She said to ask my other coworker for hints and tips (we both work different shifts, so I never get to see my other coworker).

I can't stop beating myself up over it, because this has never happened to me before. At every other job I've had, I've only been commended for my performance. I always try to do my best, so this was a slap in the face.

The other thing is that, I had no clue that my bosses were not happy. They never mentioned anything to me, and they have been nothing but friendly and approachable towards me, so I had no idea. I wish they had mentioned something to me before or even hinted at it, because it's something I could have easily fixed. I honestly didn't think I was doing anything wrong.

Anyways, I've learned my lesson and I will do anything to fix this, but since I'm not used to making silly mistakes like this one, I can't forgive myself one bit. Has something like this ever happened to you?

Never ever has that happened in my life. I've always been approached at the lowest level and been given an opportunity to correct issues and conversely as a leader I would always do the same for subordinates.

I don't understand why neither of your bosses spoke with you first. In my experience HR only gets involved when you have repeated performance issues. That doesn't sound like the case here.

Very confusing. Can you ask HR why your bosses didn't speak with you first? I would, I think it's only fair.

• Like 2
  • Author
purplesoccer34
Never ever has that happened in my life. I've always been approached at the lowest level and been given an opportunity to correct issues and conversely as a leader I would always do the same for subordinates.

I don't understand why neither of your bosses spoke with you first. In my experience HR only gets involved when you have repeated performance issues. That doesn't sound like the case here.

Very confusing. Can you ask HR why your bosses didn't speak with you first? I would, I think it's only fair.

In a sense, I guess it was a repeated performance issue, because I was making the same mistake every time I was at work--now that HR pointed it out, I can see that. But yeah, no one told me anything before, so I had no idea. You're right, it is confusing. My bosses never even had expressions of annoyance on their faces--just smiles all the time. Would it be okay if I went to work, fixed my performance issue, and then asked my bosses if I am doing better?

Survivor12

Apparently, in your company, it is HR's responsibility to notify employees of performance issues. Your bosses may not have said anything to you directly, but HR has so now you have the opportunity to correct the problem.

To answer your question--no, do not approach your bosses. If you feel that you need acknowledgment for your efforts to improve, ask the person in HR who brought the problem to your attention. If your bosses wanted to discuss it with you, they would have.

Also, since you were advised to speak with your co-worker and you are willing "to do anything to fix this", then do it. Putting in the effort to go speak with her/him on their shift will show that you are putting forth effort to comply.

There's no need to beat yourself up over making a mistake. Pointing out that you were doing something wrong & advising you to learn how to correct it is not a slap in the face. You weren't fired; you were given the opportunity to learn and improve your performance.

the way it was handled is factually a slap in the face. Sorry but that is definitely NOT how to handle a performance matter. The Boss and the HR are to be present during any formal or informal corrective measures. This vague and ambiquious remark to you , basically telling you...You figure it out, defeats the purpose in management. the Boss and HR are to clearly outline directly what the mal-fraction is, how to correct it and give you the opportunity to adjust or explain. I work with HR and rule one is always to have the person in command along with HR when any employee is being "awakened" to a policy mal-fraction.

This is due in part to any future allegations in which an employee can bring against its employer. They technically should have two witness's during write ups or verbal warnings. No matter where you work, as an employee you have rights despite the "fire at will rule". You'd be amazed how the state and courts will favor the employee if the Business doesnt have well documented records along with proper witness's to verify. The business also has to make efforts to retrain if necessary and do a follow up with employee's to be assured the former mal-fraction doesnt continue. Your seeking feedback from the boss is a positive and responsible action. (all this is valid if employed state side)

• Like 2

Whenever you are called in, you are allowed to ask questions and are allowed to speak to those who made the complaint.

When the meeting is over, make notes of what you remember was said and by whom.

This sounds like a non-professional place of work.

• Like 2
pink_sugar

It could be worse...they could be letting you go without reason. That's what happened to me. To this day, I had no idea what I did wrong or any clue it was coming because I was told nothing. Try not to take it personally and do your best to improve.

• Author
purplesoccer34
It could be worse...they could be letting you go without reason. That's what happened to me. To this day, I had no idea what I did wrong or any clue it was coming because I was told nothing. Try not to take it personally and do your best to improve.

I'm sorry this happened to you. Of course it's not fair--I'm sure you'll find something better.

• Author
purplesoccer34
the way it was handled is factually a slap in the face. Sorry but that is definitely NOT how to handle a performance matter. The Boss and the HR are to be present during any formal or informal corrective measures. This vague and ambiquious remark to you , basically telling you...You figure it out, defeats the purpose in management. the Boss and HR are to clearly outline directly what the mal-fraction is, how to correct it and give you the opportunity to adjust or explain. I work with HR and rule one is always to have the person in command along with HR when any employee is being "awakened" to a policy mal-fraction.

This is due in part to any future allegations in which an employee can bring against its employer. They technically should have two witness's during write ups or verbal warnings. No matter where you work, as an employee you have rights despite the "fire at will rule". You'd be amazed how the state and courts will favor the employee if the Business doesnt have well documented records along with proper witness's to verify. The business also has to make efforts to retrain if necessary and do a follow up with employee's to be assured the former mal-fraction doesnt continue. Your seeking feedback from the boss is a positive and responsible action. (all this is valid if employed state side)

Thanks for the responses. Yeah, it definitely wasn't a formal meeting. The HR person approached me while we were on our lunch break and said, "So and so said this about you." At first, she was not very clear in what the mistake was, but after I asked a few questions, I understood. I'm just very upset that my bosses went straight to HR without saying a word to me--I wish they had at least hinted something to me. My friend works at a different office for the same company (they have two locations in our area), and her bosses always give her feedback.