LoveShack.org Community Forums

Reload this Page LoveShack.org Community Forums > Platonic > Business and Professional Relationships

Government jobs

Business and Professional Relationships Networking and maintaining a positive environment in the work place is important! Surviving the 9-to-5 within.

Old 11th May 2014, 10:14 PM   #1
GG3
Established Member

Government jobs

Does anyone here have a government job? I'm an engineer and I was invited to apply for one where I work. Does anyone here have a government job and have any opinions to share on how they feel the security of their position is? Pros? Cons?
GG3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2014, 10:35 PM   #2
Established Member

Local pays better than county pays better than federal

usually...
Old 11th May 2014, 10:54 PM   #3

I work for the federal government. The reason I wanted the job was for job security. In my field, prior to my government job, I worked for 3 different companies in less than 10 years all while in the same building, simply because of mergers. And then I lost my job, because of another merger. No fear of that in the government.

Don't work for the government if you are looking to make lots of money. It won't happen, not for an employee (contractors are another story). The benefits are still relatively good - although not as good as they used to be.

It is also a relief to be working towards a "mission" instead of having to constantly worry about the profits - or lack of them.

Wisdom: Knowing not to put it in fruit salad.
dovegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2014, 11:05 AM   #4
Established Member

My husband loves his gov't job.
d0nnivain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2014, 11:12 AM   #5
Established Member

Pros: Job security & benefits
Con: any equivalent job as a contractor will make a great deal more money
Old 12th May 2014, 12:48 PM   #6

Its contingent to the job field and location for Federal jobs.
State jobs have great perks! Re-tirement pensions and guaranteed holiday pay.
Heck the govt is even working towards 32 hour work week with your benefits kept in tact!
Insurance is all paid. The benefits outweigh the idiocy of the system .
I have zero tolerance for govt mentality or its inept workforce.
SO if you are an engineer, stay within the capitalist business, govt is not meant for those that have valued skills.
Tayla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2014, 12:59 PM   #7

Quote:
SO if you are an engineer, stay within the capitalist business, govt is not meant for those that have valued skills.
Nice. Please excuse me while I go toss my worthless master's degree into the fire.

...also I guess I should look my workplace's Nobel Prize winners up and tell them that, actually, they have no valued skills.
dovegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2014, 1:48 PM   #8
Established Member

The government is the best and only way to work. Both of my parents had government, so I too have a government job. I'm trying to recruit any and all because of the job security, the benefits (damn good) and the service credit you earn each month that you've work goes toward your retirement.

You don't go work for the government to become rich, you work for the government for job security and benefits.

If you're looking to become rich then go find a private job.

If you want a government job it takes PATIENCE! Every step takes a lifetime to make. I'm still waiting to hear back from them. Oh and it takes about 6-8 months to get on with the government.

Love must be called from its plane, love must be born again to be free...Rumi

Last edited by Tressugar; 12th May 2014 at 1:51 PM..
Tressugar is offline   Reply With Quote