itsmylife

Refer to this post..

http://www.loveshack.org/forums/platonic/business-professional-relationships/466640-office-bullies#post5584580

Today I was terminated without reasoning. I've never recieved a warning on doing something wrong and have never been nothing but praised for my work.

My sister is one of the managers she told me she could not tell me the reason because it would "jepordize" people.

My other sister who works there as a regular employee just quite. I'm thinking I was let go for being family and also since the lie was told about me my boss no longer liked me.

As soon as I walked into the room they began to discuss severance, basically telling me take the money and go. I was shocked I asked " wait what does this mean?"

"It's not working out your being terminated"

I'm speaking with my lawyer tomorrow, I think I was terminated due to personal reasons and have a right to a bigger servance or a case to sue.

Some private details...

I'm 23 very young I make 30,000 a year which isn't a lot but good for my age and lack of college.

With that being said is it all worth going through a legal process over a job thats not exactly profesional just a paycheck or should I take the money and move on?

pink_sugar

Honestly, no it's not worth suing over. Employers have the right to terminate for any reason without notice, unfortunately. Unless you can somehow prove they discriminated against you in some way, you don't really have a case. Discrimination is very difficult to prove, even if it does happen. I was fired from a job in December that paid $40k. No reason either and I had no clue it was coming. This was my first time really being terminated. I found out later they were having financial problems, so I think that played a role. It's better to move on. Do you really have the financial resources to hire a lawyer at 23? At least you get a severance. Take the money and move on. If you weren't fired for misconduct or anything, go file for unemployment benefits.

• Like 1
Refer to this post..

http://www.loveshack.org/forums/platonic/business-professional-relationships/466640-office-bullies#post5584580

Today I was terminated without reasoning. I've never recieved a warning on doing something wrong and have never been nothing but praised for my work.

My sister is one of the managers she told me she could not tell me the reason because it would "jepordize" people.

My other sister who works there as a regular employee just quite. I'm thinking I was let go for being family and also since the lie was told about me my boss no longer liked me.

As soon as I walked into the room they began to discuss severance, basically telling me take the money and go. I was shocked I asked " wait what does this mean?"

"It's not working out your being terminated"

I'm speaking with my lawyer tomorrow, I think I was terminated due to personal reasons and have a right to a bigger servance or a case to sue.

Some private details...

I'm 23 very young I make 30,000 a year which isn't a lot but good for my age and lack of college.

With that being said is it all worth going through a legal process over a job thats not exactly profesional just a paycheck or should I take the money and move on?

You're wasting your time talking to a lawyer unless you can prove you were fired illegally. Being fired without warning isn't illegal - you'd have to prove that you were fired in violation of a contractual obligation or in violation of a state law (harassment, racism, etc). Hard to prove even in cases where the violations are pretty obvious. I'd try to move on.

p.s. Weird that your own family can't talk to you about this. A "friend"? Okay I get that, but family? WTF? Or is it that they see you as the type of person who would...call a lawyer and force people to talk, thereby jeopardizing their own status? Get my drift?

• Like 2
yellowmaverick

It is very tough to establish grounds for unlawful termination. Additionally, you may "blackball" yourself within your industry. Employers don't want to hire someone they deem to be a "troublemaker", even if you were in the right.

Go out and get yourself a better job. That's the best revenge.

• Like 1

Where I live, it's perfectly normal for people to take what we call compromise agreements (your severance agreement) to a lawyer for independent advice before signing anything. In fact, it's a legal requirement if the agreement is to be a binding, valid one. Employers will usually pay for the employee to take that independent legal advice.

Could well be different in your area. Your lawyer will keep you right on that and will hopefully be able to negotiate a better deal for you if appropriate to do so. Good luck, and I hope your next job works out better.