LoveShack.org Community Forums

Reload this Page LoveShack.org Community Forums > Platonic > Business and Professional Relationships

Take unrelated jobs of Linkedin or leave on?

Business and Professional Relationships Networking and maintaining a positive environment in the work place is important! Surviving the 9-to-5 within.

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By d0nnivain
  • 1 Post By Eternal Sunshine

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 30th April 2014, 10:31 AM   #1

Take unrelated jobs of Linkedin or leave on?

I will be graduating college next week and I am currently trying to get into the HR field, but I feel my retail experience might overshadow my relevant experience. Here's a little background what the profile looks like in chronological order

-HR related internship (January-ends this week)
-Retail job (September-present)
-Internship (kind of related to major, more of leadership experience) (Last Summer)
-Retail job (2008 to 2013)
-HR internship (Fall 2012-February 2013)

Options I thought about
1) Take retail jobs off LinkedIn profile completely, and just leave current retail position on resume (if I take off resume it leaves an 8 month gap)
2) Leave jobs on there and just take off the description

Opinions please
RONred01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2014, 11:24 AM   #2
Established Member

Your resume is a marketing tool. It's sort of the ad you put out there about yourself to showcase your talents. I'd leave the retail stuff off your linked in profile.

When you are asked to complete an employment application, that document usually requires your entire history under penalty of purjery. There you would list everything, even the stuff that isn't relevant. In my case, even though I have been in my field for almost 25 years, when I complete a form that asks for every job I ever had, I am required to list the bartending jobs I had in college even though they have nothing to do with my licensed profession. I certainly would never put them on a resume or public profile.
d0nnivain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2014, 3:50 PM   #3
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by d0nnivain View Post
Your resume is a marketing tool. It's sort of the ad you put out there about yourself to showcase your talents. I'd leave the retail stuff off your linked in profile.

When you are asked to complete an employment application, that document usually requires your entire history under penalty of purjery. There you would list everything, even the stuff that isn't relevant. In my case, even though I have been in my field for almost 25 years, when I complete a form that asks for every job I ever had, I am required to list the bartending jobs I had in college even though they have nothing to do with my licensed profession. I certainly would never put them on a resume or public profile.
This.

I took off my retail jobs after I had been doing office work for 2 years. I recently graduated college and have plenty of professional experience now that it really isn't necessary to have it on there. I haven't been in retail since the middle of 2011. Same for my resume. Employers don't really care about work experience that isn't relevant, so unless it is a formal employment application or you feel the experience will help you in some way, I would also leave it off.
pink_sugar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2014, 6:09 PM   #4
Established Member

A gap that's under a year still looks OK.

I only list about 10% of the total jobs I had in my life. I always had a casual job on the side of a full time job (evenings and/or weekends), but that wasn't for CV it was because I needed more money.
Old 30th April 2014, 6:11 PM   #5
Established Member

Hm I just noticed that you want to work in HR. I think retail jobs could be relevant i.e. you are good at dealing with people.
Eternal Sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote