Can anyone to relate to my job issue?

I rarely post about my work experience, but here goes:

*I have an unreliable coworker and need advice*

She and I are the only two that perform our particular job function.

Very demanding job, which affects Billions in my company, and potential loss of clients.

She calls in "sick" constantly. She does not have children. She is an army wife and all of her bills are paid, she is lazy.-My Opinion.

For instance, last month she called off 8 straight days in a row.

This past week, she has called off last Weds, Thurs, Fri, Monday and again today-Tuesday.

She is never reprimanded.

I think my company accepts this behavior because I pick up her slack and get the job done. To the point where I've lost weight and riddled with stress.

(YES I am searching for a new position, however, I complete my second degree this December, and have been holding off)

My company is lucky in not having to pay her, since her vacation days are exhausted, so they are saving money while I do the work of two people.

I did discuss with my immediate manager, her manager and Human Resources in a "concerned" way, not in complaint mode.

I was given a verbal warning for this. Which I think is retaliation.

What would you do in this situation?

I am likely going to take the next job offer that comes along, even if it offers a pay cut.

Standard-Fare

Can you tell us why/how you get a verbal warning for addressing your concerns? And why do you think it's "retaliation"? From who?

• Like 1
  • Author
Can you tell us why/how you get a verbal warning for addressing your concerns? And why do you think it's "retaliation"? From who?

2 days after I spoke with HR about my concerns, my manager called me in her office and said I was getting a verbal warning for going to HR and not letting her handle the issue. Even though I did discuss it with her and follow proper "Chain of command" and she did nothing about it.

This has been going on for 2 years now.

Which at my company, verbal warnings are still written down, I just didn't have to sign it. I have never had a verbal warning in my entire life.

I'm curious to see what she reported in this so called "warning"

I suppose I could have reported the verbal warning to HR, but didn't want to muddy the waters more than I already have.

• Like 2
VeronicaRoss

I have worked in all kinds of companies and one of the biggest lessons out of college was companies and then individual managers get to make up any rule and apply it to whoever they want. What they say the rules are doesn't matter, you find out the real rule for you as you go. Those rules look like nothing you were probably taught at home or in school.

The only way to know how it is really is speak with people who work there and have left. Talk with both before you accept another job.

HR is there for legal reasons and are there to protect the company, rarely do they add workplace productivity, morale or manage to even the rules to that workload. They often have little authority over managers, let alone execs. I work for a VP who sleeps with women and then promotes them to management, no matter their competency. As a result any woman who reports to him, her career is suspect. But if they leave the company, they've got the laurels and no one will know how they earned them. His sexual harassment (not all of the women he hits on are interested) has been reported. He got promoted, the president likes him. End of story.

What you need to do is accept 1) your perceptions are correct, this situation works in their favor and you're expendable 2) people and companies will treat you as well or as bad as you let them 3) you are the manager and owner of your career, no one else will protect you. Unless you develop that relationship with a protector.

Maybe if you hadn't been the hero and grabbed her workload they would have felt the pain, fired her and found someone else. Or maybe they would have fired her and still expected you to do both jobs. Or maybe they would have fired both of you and hired two more people to start fresh. You never know so you just need to do what is right for you, just as they are doing.

My guess is once you're gone they'll only hire one martyr to do the whole thing. Some people love or expect to play the hero, even if it kills them. They'll even put it in job descriptions: "Can do attitude that can handle multiple tasks in a fast-paced environment". Buyer beware! Don't be that person.

So don't fight their system. Leave in good graces. Find a place more in line with you.

Edited by VeronicaRoss
  • Like 3
Standard-Fare

Did you respond to that "verbal warning" in any way? Did that inspire a new conversation with your manager about the problem? Did you explain to her that you approached HR because you weren't seeing any solutions?

I did discuss with my immediate manager, her manager and Human Resources in a "concerned" way, not in complaint mode.

I was given a verbal warning for this. Which I think is retaliation.

What would you do in this situation?

I am likely going to take the next job offer that comes along, even if it offers a pay cut.

This actually reminds me of a time my husband was threatened with a write-up, because he wasn't happy about his schedule being changed last minute (sometimes without any notice). There were times he showed up for his shift...only to be sent home because they changed the schedule on him. They had absolutely no regard for their employees and how showing up for a shift to realize it has changed and having to come back later is a financial issue as well, especially since this was a very low paying job.

You're doing the right thing by looking for other work. Since you're picking up the slack, they probably don't care about your coworker as long as work is getting done. And their reaction is definitely a good reason to pursue other work. That's probably all you can do until something else comes your way.

• Like 1

document document document. EVERYTHING. From the added workload on the days she's missed to the projects you complete by yourself, to your talks with HR and the feedback you get from management.

then start claiming your days off. Like at the last minute, saying you need a good day of mental rest to tackle the assignment. That way when SHE pulls that ****, and no one shows up, they see to what degree they're abusing you as an employee. Mind you, they'd probably can you for daring take time off, but then again, they set the precedent by doing it for her ...

just my 2 cents

• Like 2
  • Author

How appropriate, she called off again today...the funny part is, she never called in!

Our manager had to "emailed her" at home to get her to reply. 20 mins after the start of our shift.

I asked what is going to be done, since the workload is piling up.

They tell me she will be allowed to return with a doctor's note.

So perhaps I will take off tomorrow for a break for myself.

I am trying my best to wait until May to cash in all of my vacation time.

This is the most difficult situation I've been in, my entire working adult life.

I am trying my best to keep it together under all the stress.

Starting today, I am placing her work on her desk and advised my manager, I cannot do it all. They will need to find someone to do her work.

I am wondering about FMLA and Job Abandonement laws though.

After you are off work THAT many days in a row, doesn't some sort of action have to be taken from the employer?

UpwardForward

2 years?

Imo, you should have at least been reciprocated for doing her job some of the time - as well as yours. Or for overtime pay.

Perhaps only when the employer is hit in the pocket book, would their patience run out.

How appropriate, she called off again today...the funny part is, she never called in!

Our manager had to "emailed her" at home to get her to reply. 20 mins after the start of our shift.

I asked what is going to be done, since the workload is piling up.

They tell me she will be allowed to return with a doctor's note.

So perhaps I will take off tomorrow for a break for myself.

I am trying my best to wait until May to cash in all of my vacation time.

This is the most difficult situation I've been in, my entire working adult life.

I am trying my best to keep it together under all the stress.

Starting today, I am placing her work on her desk and advised my manager, I cannot do it all. They will need to find someone to do her work.

I am wondering about FMLA and Job Abandonement laws though.

After you are off work THAT many days in a row, doesn't some sort of action have to be taken from the employer?

Most employers require a doctors note after 3 days of absence. I don't think there is a firm law about it as not all employers require it, but I think if asked, the employee would have to provide a note after 3 days. I think you are doing the right thing by telling your manager that there is no way you can accomplish all of this on your own. You have every right to do that. Hopefully that will light a fire under their butts to either fire her right now or not allow any additional time off without a doctors note.

• Like 1
Standard-Fare

Is it possible something sensitive/serious is going on with this woman, like ... mental illness related? That no one wants to touch with a 10-foot pole? Something about this woman's patterns and the way no one's dealing with it just seems so off.

VeronicaRoss

Who knows what skeleton she knows about in some higher-ups closet? Or if she could sue them for retaliation for something someone did to her. It's interesting to speculate but I think by keeping her work on her desk and drawing a line is smart.

• Like 1
  • Author
Is it possible something sensitive/serious is going on with this woman, like ... mental illness related? That no one wants to touch with a 10-foot pole? Something about this woman's patterns and the way no one's dealing with it just seems so off.

I thought about that, but really don't think so.

She is just lazy and doesn't need to work (financially) she just works at the demands of her military husband...--From what I know/observe

There has to be as reason my employer won't fire her...

On a brighter note, I have an interview today at 11! Woohoo

I am willing to walk away from my vacation pay at this point.

• Author

My manager and VP actually called me in the office yesterday and told me to "calm down" and not get "stressed" REALLY?

With all the clients calling and screaming at me...