Getting the cold shoulder since he "found out" I make more than him. I don't know how he know's, but he might have been snooping in the computer system.

I guess he's upset because he perceives himself to be more knowledgeable. In some respects, that's true, because I was just transferred to this department and I'm still learning some ropes he already knows.

However, I have been with the company twice as long as he has, and the managers have acknowledged this.

I can understand his anger with the company, but what does it have to do with me?

I was even warned by the manager he might give me attitude.

Anyone ever deal with this? We got along fine before this fiasco.

Yep, not over a money issue though. I was given a job that another lady believed she was better quailified for (which she was, but I was more experienced).

It was not pleasant! We've been working together for nearly 12yrs now and she is just one of those people that causes ill will in the workplace, there's a new victim of hers most weeks!!

Getting the cold shoulder since he "found out" I make more than him. I don't know how he know's, but he might have been snooping in the computer system.

I guess he's upset because he perceives himself to be more knowledgeable. In some respects, that's true, because I was just transferred to this department and I'm still learning some ropes he already knows.

However, I have been with the company twice as long as he has, and the managers have acknowledged this.

I can understand his anger with the company, but what does it have to do with me?

I was even warned by the manager he might give me attitude.

Anyone ever deal with this? We got along fine before this fiasco.

He's too stupid to understand that his lower value to the company has probably something to do with his crappy attitude. I'd try to remain above it to the extent possible. It's hard not to get bitter sometimes when you feel like you deserve more respect - I've been that guy on the inside and I think most of us have at one point in our careers or another. But true pros put it aside and move on. He can always work somewhere else, where he can get paid better and get more. But most people like this don't want to take that sort of responsibility. They'd rather just stay put and be a victim, and let everyone know that they're a victim.

we'd each like to get paid fairly for the job details we complete. Unfortunately that isn't how corporate business works. Show some concern for this person in so much as maybe they really are being overlooked and maybe you can do better with kindness and civility then to take it on the cheek. (Meaning dont let them make you the angst of their ire). Find away to break the tension by building them up. usually someone that is being treated "less then" in pay really could use a comrade. Broach it professionally and respect their concern. I do payroll so I know what certain staff make. Its never my place to announce it or make comment to staff members. I simply do know that some are more valuable yet underpaid while others are spoon fed a paycheck simply because of who they are related to.

• Like 2

Yes, though it wasn't about money. She was mad because management liked me better than they liked her, even though she had a rude, negative personality. She even scared away new employees.

Not much you can do except be civil with him and not let his attitude get to you.

3blindmice

I had an experience when I was working in IC testing before the jobs were sent oversea.

I was working at a company, the company hit hard times and we knew layoffs were coming. A coworker kept asking me if he was going to get laid off. I told him I only knew I was getting laid off as I was the newest employee. He kept asking me for 2 weeks and I told him I didn't know who was being laid off. Finally I said well maybe they won't lay you off. We both got laid off and he was mad at me because he took what I said as meaning he wouldn't be laid off. I was a coworker and could never figure out why he was asking me and not the boss.

• Like 1

It's not your fault that the company has seen fit to pay you a higher salary than your co-worker. That's an issue between your co-worker and management.

The company I work for is transparent about salaries. There is no such thing as a raise for job performance- you get a raise after every 800 hours logged regardless of job performance until you hit top salary. That's both good and bad- as a lot of hard working employees make much less than lazy ones because they have been there less time.

I sometimes feel resentful knowing I make half as much as someone that has hit the top rate, when they're lazy... But it's the culture of the company I work for that makes the rules- not the people working within it.

Your co-worker needs to recognize that it's not YOU that has done anything to warrant his ire. If he can't get over it- just remember that his attitude is his problem.