Would you change your bank cards to Dr?

Eternal Sunshine

If you completed a PhD? My friend has done it but I feel it's a bit of a douchey move. He says it impresses women.

The only reason to do it (besides showing off) is to increase your chances of being upgraded to an airline business class...as far as I see anyway.

Yes or no?

I've never experienced any such benefit from my title, not even on airlines, so I don't bother anymore.

I did when I qualified as a vet, because I figured the bank might look more kindly on my mortgage application if I was officially a "Dr". I don't know if it works that way or not, but I figured every little bit helps! :laugh:

I don't know if I would do it for a PhD.

Grumpybutfun

I never even considered it, but I was military so I had to have my rank on them. I had new ones made for my new job, and it never even occurred to me despite having two now. The only time I feel it would be relevant is if you are a full time academic or a medical/mental health doctor. Seems a bit pretentious to me.

Best,

Grumps

• Like 3
melodymatters

NO ! Dated two MD's and was most impressed that they DIDN'T use their titles when making reservations and such.

• Like 7

As long as you aren't one of those people that days " excuse me... its Dr. Pretentious, not miss "

Your okay in my book, no matter what your bank card says.

• Like 3

No, when people use Dr to name themself I just automatically think they are pretentious. Its cause they assume the Dr title should immediately command them more respect or something.

• Like 4

My fancy degree title appears on my business credit card becaue it's the business credit card.

I doesn't appear on any of my personal documents. I would be embarrassed to put it there.

• Like 1
GorillaTheater

But one thing I found out early on in academia is that it's worth a minute or two of research to figure out if you're talking to a "Dr." or a "Mr." Most don't mind, but those that do really, really mind. I'll call someone "Dr." by default.

• Like 1
But one thing I found out early on in academia is that it's worth a minute or two of research to figure out if you're talking to a "Dr." or a "Mr." Most don't mind, but those that do really, really mind. I'll call someone "Dr." by default.

A professor of mine once explained the difference as follows:

A Dr. has a fancy degree. A Prof. has a job.

• Like 4

A few associates Earned every ounce of the titles. Doctors , lawyers, Priest, Admiral, R.N., Etc. Only two that I know of place their titles behind or in front of their names when signing documents or carrying identification. It doesnt get them first class on airlines and doesnt get them a better table at fine dining. Nor do they use the titles to gain preferential treatment. Most times their banking information is the same as what is listed on their social security card so unless they were born with MD, ESQ, or RN, then its doubtful it would be listed on their bank account. Last I checked most do not want strangers to know their profession - it makes them a target in certain environments.

Good.

How about, Dr. Fugu, then?

• Like 2
  • Author
Eternal Sunshine

:laugh: thought so.

My friend had everything changed the day his PhD was official. He doesn't even work in academia.

I also think your chances of getting an upgrade on any decent airline because of your title is only slightly above zero. Its all about the spend!

• Like 1
  • Author
Eternal Sunshine
I also think your chances of getting an upgrade on any decent airline because of your title is only slightly above zero. Its all about the spend!

I was upgraded once without any titles but that was a fluke.

No, when people use Dr to name themself I just automatically think they are pretentious. Its cause they assume the Dr title should immediately command them more respect or something.

THIS!!

My country is OBSESSED with titles! OBSESSED! Everyone with a degree is a Dr and most people change cards and all sorts! I mean... WTF?!??!

I hate it!

• Like 1

I was once upgraded to business class on a trans-Pacific flight.

What was my qualification, you ask?

Being the first to check-in on a flight that was half empty.

But I felt important.

• Like 2
If you completed a PhD? My friend has done it but I feel it's a bit of a douchey move. He says it impresses women.

The only reason to do it (besides showing off) is to increase your chances of being upgraded to an airline business class...as far as I see anyway.

Yes or no?

Your friend is wrong. This isn't 1955 anymore. Being a doctor in and of itself will not attract a woman.

It's just nice icing on the cake that the woman could tell mom and dad.

Economy class sucks.

That would be reason enough for me.

I wouldn't do it unless that was guaranteed though! I would want to be a Dr for my own satisfaction not so others could view it.....

haa ha.

I have been upgraded a few times to business!

Because my mum complained:lmao:

And also once I asked and they are like "sure, we actually have a spare seat in business"

:lmao::lmao: