Leaving new job after only a couple of weeks?

nadinefleur

I'm in a spot of bother, I had been unemployed for a few months due to my contract ending at my old job. I had been applying for jobs relentlessly with little success. I only had a couple of interviews after applying for hundreds of jobs, so when I was offered the job for one I decided to take it as I didn't want to risk being unemployed for another few months.

The job isn't exactly my ideal role and not what I was looking for but I decided to broaden my search as I was finding it difficult.

I have been working in my new role for a couple of weeks now, but since I've started I've been receiving so many calls from other jobs I had applied for when I was unemployed! There is one in particular I really want to go for, but I feel really bad going for another interview when I have just started a new job.

Is it really mad to leave a new job when you have only been working a few weeks for something else? What do I tell my current job if I do get the other job I really want (which would be my dream job)?

Edited by nadinefleur
Eternal Sunshine

You should go for an interview, say nothing at your current job and quit only if you get the other one.

You owe no loyalty to your current employer. Make no mistake, if it was better for them, they would fire you in 2 seconds flat.

• Like 3

Only you can care about your future. It's highly unlikely that your current employer will. Go on interviews. Take a new job that you like. Spend a day being embarrassed when you have to give your notice, then giggle all the way to your new job!

• Like 4
  • Author
nadinefleur

Ahh thanks for the replies! Ok, I will go for the interview then!! :D

What should I say to my current employer if I do get the new job, what reason should I give??

There's really no reason that would make them feel good about the situation. All you can tell them is that you appreciate that they took a chance on you, but in the end you have to go with what is best for you. You don't need to be over the top in your apology, as I said, there is probably no perfect response here.

I faced a similar situation recently. Took a part time job after 3 months, because I received little on UI and didn't want to worry about my benefits running out before finding a job. My current employer was worried that I'd jump ship right away since I was overqualified, but I assured him I would seek a second position if needed. Of course, I am still looking for full time work, but I am being more picky as I want my next job to be long term and not jump from job to job. I had gotten a job offer just days after accepting this job...very tough decision. It was contract and as you mentioned, contract jobs do not seem stable...they eventually end and you will be job hunting again. I really didn't want to leave a steady part time job for a job that needed a contract renewal every 6 months up to 32 months max. I decided to decline. I was laid off my previous job and I really need the income stability. Although not my dream job, I like my job and my bosses are great. I would have hated to leave them high and dry after just a few days, especially since they took a big risk hiring someone overqualified. I am of course still looking for full time work, but it needs to be a permanent opportunity in which I plan to spend several years.

Secret Advisor

An invitation to an interview does not mean that you have the job. If you actually get the job and its better in terms of compensation, commute and your career goals, then go for it. You owe nothing to your current employer.

• Like 2