LoveShack.org Community Forums

Reload this Page LoveShack.org Community Forums > Platonic > Business and Professional Relationships

What length of skirt is appropriate?

Business and Professional Relationships Networking and maintaining a positive environment in the work place is important! Surviving the 9-to-5 within.

Like Tree26Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 8th April 2014, 5:32 AM   #16
Established Member

Why are they called pencil skirts ?
The map is not the territory.
Radu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2014, 6:05 AM   #17
Established Member

How old are you? This seems like a question that would be asked by a very young person, not a professional. Just my observation.

It's not that complicated. Dress professionally - certainly no high boot and leggings and short skirts - until you know differently. If you are working in a research environment (not sure why you would distinguish that from a teaching position? Many people work both) then all the more reason to be professional above all else.
Hope Shimmers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2014, 9:44 AM   #18
ASG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hope Shimmers View Post
How old are you? This seems like a question that would be asked by a very young person, not a professional. Just my observation.

It's not that complicated. Dress professionally - certainly no high boot and leggings and short skirts - until you know differently. If you are working in a research environment (not sure why you would distinguish that from a teaching position? Many people work both) then all the more reason to be professional above all else.
Yes, but if you go in wearing a skirt suit or similar, when everyone else is in jeans/shorts/whatever, is a bit much.
Hence the question, which I think is valid.

There are several conservative casual options that we've all mentioned.
Elswyth likes this.
ASG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2014, 10:25 AM   #19
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASG View Post
Yes, but if you go in wearing a skirt suit or similar, when everyone else is in jeans/shorts/whatever, is a bit much.
Hence the question, which I think is valid.

There are several conservative casual options that we've all mentioned.
I didn't interpret her question that way at all.

Okay. I thought she said she was a professional researcher and would be doing that full time as a research facility, which is what I have done too. Most people don't get to that level until mid-30's in age and the whole 'short skirt/tights/boots' thing is completely not an issue. It just seemed a strange question from a professional researcher. But I may have misunderstood.

Last edited by Hope Shimmers; 8th April 2014 at 10:30 AM..
Old 8th April 2014, 10:42 AM   #20
Established Member

Quote:

Okay. I thought she said she was a professional researcher and would be doing that full time as a research facility, which is what I have done too. Most people don't get to that level until mid-30's in age and the whole 'short skirt/tights/boots' thing is completely not an issue. It just seemed a strange question from a professional researcher. But I may have misunderstood.
Sounds normal to me especially considering she had a different job scope in her previous workplace and she is moving to a totally new location.
Old 8th April 2014, 10:49 AM   #21
ASG

Quote:

I've worked with people of all ages and in work places without a dress code, you'll see 50 year old women with skirts/tights/boots.
And guys in their 40's wearing shorts.

It's not a question of dressing like a teenager, but when there is no dress code, dressing "professional" (which to me is basically wearing a suit) is not appropriate either.
ASG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2014, 10:56 AM   #22
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASG View Post
I've worked with people of all ages and in work places without a dress code, you'll see 50 year old women with skirts/tights/boots.
And guys in their 40's wearing shorts.

It's not a question of dressing like a teenager, but when there is no dress code, dressing "professional" (which to me is basically wearing a suit) is not appropriate either.
Great! I was just going on the fact that she was working in a large research facility as a researcher, which I have exactly done myself, so that was the basis for my response. I'm done, thanks.
Old 8th April 2014, 12:26 PM   #23
Established Member

People who work at universities do not dress the way people do in a corporate environment.

An above the knee skirt would be considered perfectly acceptable at every university I've attended and worked at. (I work with a guy who wears tie-dyed t-shirts and jeans most days. )

A business suit would be out of the ordinary, unless you were in a high level administrative position.

As long as she uses common sense and doesn't go too short or too tight, boots, leggings, and a skirt will be fine. I do flat boots instead of heels for work.
Elswyth likes this.
iris219 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2014, 6:59 PM   #24
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eternal Sunshine View Post
I want to leave a good first impression at my new job and don't want to dress slutty. At my current work place, the dress code is pretty relaxed and pretty much anything goes. I often wore really short skirts, black leggings and boots....

There is no dress code at my new work place, but I still want to make more of an effort. Should a skirt be at least up to the knee level? If it helps, it's a large research institute so not a university and I won't be doing any teaching, just 100% research.
One inch above or below the knee is a good guideline to follow when looking to dress the potential new boss. Play it safer and make sure the dress bottoms out at mid-calf.
Trane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2014, 1:35 AM   #25
Established Member

Given you are going to an MRI I wouldn't wear a skirt at all. I would wear pants, nice top and closed shoes if you are going to be in the lab in future. You will probably have induction most of the first day.

Having also worked in large research institutes, no one wears pencil skirts or suits on a day to day basis. Most will be in jeans but be conservative for your first week.

If you are in a lab bare skin is a no-no anyway. All your gowns etc will leave no gap with gloves so skirts may well not be encouraged.
ufo8mycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2014, 1:44 AM   #26
Established Member

Ugh. Just above the knee still hikes up a lot sitting down. Until you get the hang of the place and know what's the norm I'd wear slacks
VeronicaRoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2014, 10:31 PM   #27
Established Member

Just ask HR prior to starting what the appropriate dress code is.
Got it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2014, 12:50 AM   #28
Established Member

Nothing more than 4 inches from the waist and with some knee high boots

Warning: My advise may come with a future meeting from HR
Old 12th April 2014, 11:22 AM   #29
Established Member

Agree with those who say go conservative on first day. Trousers or skirt beneath the knees, then assess what everyone else is wearing.
denise_xo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2014, 4:47 PM   #30
Established Member

My office is also casual, but what you have to consider is that even if slutwear is okay with the male boss, people will be talking behind your back. Some industries, it's okay, like entertainment, but not most places. It just gives you a little more chance of having everyone's respect if you dress nice and modern, but not like you're going out at night. IMO, leggings and short skirt are too much for the office. I think it's fine to wear skirts slightly above the knee a couple inches with or without tights as long as you're not also showing cleavage. Seriously, cleavage has no place in the workplace. You know what they say: Dress for the job you want, not the one you have.
preraph is offline   Reply With Quote