LoveShack.org Community Forums

Reload this Page LoveShack.org Community Forums > Platonic > Business and Professional Relationships

I really hate job interviews!


Business and Professional Relationships Networking and maintaining a positive environment in the work place is important! Surviving the 9-to-5 within.

Like Tree14Likes
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 4th April 2014, 10:14 AM   #16
Established Member
 
Eternal Sunshine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 11,045
I have always wondered how interviewers don't get sick of canned responses found on job interview sites and books. Seriously, they are all the same
__________________
“Never trust a woman you are lying to."
Eternal Sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2014, 7:32 PM   #17
Established Member
 
dichotomy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: USA central
Posts: 4,365
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eternal Sunshine View Post
I have always wondered how interviewers don't get sick of canned responses found on job interview sites and books. Seriously, they are all the same
Yep. I was recently subject to behavior interview question method - that is one intended to prove strong feelings of situations. Fortunately they advised me ahead of time and I was able to get my system or response down pat and got the job.

In the past, depending on the situation I have had some minor fun turning the tables and asking some difficult or challenging questions of my interviewers especially if there is more than one of them in the room.
__________________
“Now I see that I will never find the light unless like a candle, I am my own fuel”
dichotomy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2014, 11:44 PM   #18
Established Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 936
Unless it's a driving job I don't see why they would ask why you don't have your license
WP4046 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2014, 3:29 PM   #19
Established Member
 
pink_sugar's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: NorCal
Posts: 3,629
I had a job interview yesterday that was about an hour commute round-trip. I have a current job, though part time, but I wanted to go to the interview for this position as I'm still looking for full time work. I was hesitant to make the commute, but wanted to hear them out since it was up my alley. Well....I got there and basically I was shot down in the interview, because they "thought" what I wanted in 5 years didn't have to do with this position. I disagree, because this position had essential components that are a necessity in the marketing field. Needless to say, I was ticked off...they didn't even allow me to ask about the company or anything. I assured them that I was flexible in my career goals and that the job description would allow me to get to where I want to be in 5 years. Nope. They wanted to tell me if the position aligned with my career goals. If it didn't, I wouldn't have bothered with the interview as I'm looking for something long term. Needless to say, I emailed the recruiter and explained to them my disappointment in being shot down right then and there if they thought I was a great candidate for an in person interview, after a 30 minute commute. I suggested they do phone screens for that reason...save time for the hiring manager and applicants. She said they do phone screens "in certain cases", but felt it was appropriate to bring me in. Well, if you were that interested in pursuing me as a candidate, you wouldn't shoot me down right there in the interview over one question. I didn't understand the reason for an in-person interview either...when I basically come in to talk to the hiring manager over speakerphone.
pink_sugar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2014, 8:36 PM   #20
Established Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 936
Quote:
Originally Posted by pink_sugar View Post
I had a job interview yesterday that was about an hour commute round-trip. I have a current job, though part time, but I wanted to go to the interview for this position as I'm still looking for full time work. I was hesitant to make the commute, but wanted to hear them out since it was up my alley. Well....I got there and basically I was shot down in the interview, because they "thought" what I wanted in 5 years didn't have to do with this position. I disagree, because this position had essential components that are a necessity in the marketing field. Needless to say, I was ticked off...they didn't even allow me to ask about the company or anything. I assured them that I was flexible in my career goals and that the job description would allow me to get to where I want to be in 5 years. Nope. They wanted to tell me if the position aligned with my career goals. If it didn't, I wouldn't have bothered with the interview as I'm looking for something long term. Needless to say, I emailed the recruiter and explained to them my disappointment in being shot down right then and there if they thought I was a great candidate for an in person interview, after a 30 minute commute. I suggested they do phone screens for that reason...save time for the hiring manager and applicants. She said they do phone screens "in certain cases", but felt it was appropriate to bring me in. Well, if you were that interested in pursuing me as a candidate, you wouldn't shoot me down right there in the interview over one question. I didn't understand the reason for an in-person interview either...when I basically come in to talk to the hiring manager over speakerphone.
what was the position and what was your 5 year goal?
WP4046 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2014, 1:22 AM   #21
Established Member
 
pink_sugar's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: NorCal
Posts: 3,629
Quote:
Originally Posted by WP4046 View Post
what was the position and what was your 5 year goal?
Digital Content Strategist and my goal is to be in a managerial position for online marketing.
pink_sugar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2014, 1:44 AM   #22
Established Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 936
Quote:
Originally Posted by pink_sugar View Post
Digital Content Strategist and my goal is to be in a managerial position for online marketing.
yeah it sounded like it was connected to the position since marketing is involving in being a digital content strategist. Not sure what they was looking for.
WP4046 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2014, 2:11 AM   #23
Established Member
 
pink_sugar's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: NorCal
Posts: 3,629
Quote:
Originally Posted by WP4046 View Post
yeah it sounded like it was connected to the position since marketing is involving in being a digital content strategist. Not sure what they was looking for.
Yeah, that's what I was thinking too. I was rather shocked they shot me down during the interview over that even after I explained how content and SEO is essential to online marketing and my career goals. I politely suggested in an email later that they conduct phone screens in the future. (Basically so no one's time/expenses are wasted...though I said it in a polite/professional way).
pink_sugar is offline   Reply With Quote
 

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

 

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
I hate phone interviews lucy_in_disguise Business and Professional Relationships 7 23rd February 2014 12:27 AM
18 interviews later.... Lauriebell82 Business and Professional Relationships 20 16th February 2010 2:29 PM
Job Interviews Bogun Business and Professional Relationships 10 22nd November 2005 11:48 AM

 

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 6:49 PM.

Please note: The suggestions and advice offered on this web site are opinions only and are not to be used in the place of professional psychological counseling or medical advice. If you or someone close to you is currently in crisis or in an emergency situation, contact your local law enforcement agency or emergency number.


Copyright © 1997-2013 LoveShack.org. All Rights Reserved.