If you get promoted into a different position that is considered "better", let's say from a simple administrative assistant position to that of a purchasing agent or sales agent, how much do you ask for? In percent? Or let's say you currently make around 35,000/year or 16.50/hr or so and you get promoted into a different department with more responsibility (not managing a team), do you ask for more money or should they offer something first? And if they don't - how much do you typically ask for?

• Author

Anyone?

I am really clueless.....I know it probably "depends", but some thoughts would be much appreciated.

:)

I think it's pointless to compare your current Admin Asst salary with that of a Sales Agent - it's apples to oranges. It would be better to research salary ranges for Sales Agents in your area, and come up with a figure in mind that you'd like to ask for... keeping in mind they'll probably put you at the lower end of that range since you'll be a new Sales Agent (but it wouldn't hurt to ask for the average in the range, since you've been working for the company for awhile now.) The important thing is that you "do your homework" (the salary research) and have a game plan to present when it comes time to negotiate your salary. IME Bosses LOVE it whenever you propose a solution and provide solid reasons to back it up. Good luck!